Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Backup light wires
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Backup light wires Reply with quote

Subject: Backup light wires

I've got my engine back in but I've forgotten where one of the wires that comes off the tranny nosecone goes.
I know that one of the wires goes to the positive side of the coil and the other is supposed to go to the backup lights, but where exactly is that?
I can't figure out where to plug that wire in/to.

These aren't factory wires. Someone rewired them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup light wires Reply with quote

If you are able to follow the wires in the engine compartment, you will be looking for the blue wires in the tail light assemblies. The wire from the backup light switch on the transmission (probably a black wire) that carries +12V (with ignition on and transmission in reverse) runs to each of the blue wires. If memory serves, it runs first to the passenger side taillight assembly, then across the rear of the engine compartment to the driver's side taillight.
Hope that helps, Mondshine
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup light wires Reply with quote

Thanks mondshine. I did a search and someone else had mentioned the blue wire connection. So far I haven't been able to find that blue wire, but I'll keep on looking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Backup light wires Reply with quote

The blue wires are in the harnesses that are part of the taillight assemblies.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Backup light wires Reply with quote

So the blue wires should be at the back of the vehicle, below the backup light housing?
I see where the wires come out of the rear light housing, but I can't see a blue wire.

While I'm taking about wires, does anyone know what this wire spade should be connected to? It's located just to the right of the fan shroud, where the bundle of wires comes into the engine compartment. The spade seems to be longer than normal.

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Backup light wires Reply with quote

Take a look at this photo:
This is the rear corner of my engine compartment; driver's side.

Yes, I know it's filthy in there.

The white jacket at the top of the photo is the wiring harness that is part of the tail light assembly.
Two wires are called out.
The blue wire is connected to the center contact of the reverse light bulb.
On the other side of the (non stock) terminal block, that blue wire is connected to a black wire, which is inside the harness which passes along the rear of the engine compartment floor. That black wire is connected to the blue wire of the passenger side tail light harness, and ultimately to the reverse light switch on the transmission. When the blue wires are connected to +12V, the reverse lights light.

Re: your photo, the male spade is longer than normal because it is designed to lock into a plastic insulating sleeve. It is possible that it is the wire you are looking for; the wire from the reverse light switch on the transmission. Crawl under the car, poke your head in there and check it. Check that wire to determine if it carries +12V when the ignition is switched on and the transmission is in reverse. If that is the reverse light power, connect it to the blue wires in your tail light harnesses.
Be certain that all of your connections are properly insulated!
Good luck, Mondshine
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup light wires Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
So the blue wires should be at the back of the vehicle, below the backup light housing?
I see where the wires come out of the rear light housing, but I can't see a blue wire.

While I'm taking about wires, does anyone know what this wire spade should be connected to? It's located just to the right of the fan shroud, where the bundle of wires comes into the engine compartment. The spade seems to be longer than normal.

I did put power to that long spade, but it didn't turn the backup lights on.
I'll have to do some more exploring later today. I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but somewhere in the past someone rewired the backup light wires from the coil to the tranny and from the tranny to the backup lights.

Mondshine, thanks for the response.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup light wires Reply with quote

911-
Read my previous post again.
What I said was that the long spade connector might be providing power for the reverse lights.
Check it with your VOM or test light with the ignition switched on and the transmission in reverse.
In the photo I posted, you can see that the blue wires are only in the tail light assemblies and their associated wiring harness. Look at that photo again.
Good luck, Mondshine
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup light wires Reply with quote

The black wire with the long spade was the correct wire after all. Backup lights are now working.
Thanks mondshine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: