Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea"
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

It all started when I went with a friend of mine to view a dune buggy he was interested in buying. This guy's house was littered with 30s and 40s cars. While he was checking out the buggy, I was wondering around his property checking out all the cool cars this guy had. So my buddy called me into the big shed to check out the buggy when my eye caught a glimpse of what looks like a bug eyed Sprite. The car was under a tarp, so I couldn't see what it was. I ask my buddies friend what was under the tarp? He told me that if I was to see under the tarp it wasn't for sale. He had already started working on it several months ago but lost interest in it to work on his 37 hemi truck project. So away the tarp went...it wasn't a Sprite after all....I couldn't believe what I was looking at, a 1958 suicide door USA model Fiat Nuova N. Second year in production for the 500 N . I asked him if the car was for sale. He told me no at first, but he told me that he would sleep on it. I pretty much convinced him he had way too many coals in the fire. The next day he called me and we worked on a number we both could agree on and made me promise not to put the body on a 4x4 chassis. It's a complete car minus the entire floor and rear suspension was out of the car. The cars floor was so rusted that he cut it out. Another reason he sold it to me. It would require a lot of work. So now I'm the proud owner of this crazy tiny little car that needs the entire floor and suspension.

I wanted to share that story cuz it's like some of you are all familiar with, going with a friend to see something he wants but end up dragging home a project of your own. I wasn't looking for a car to buy, it just happened. The car was just too cute I had to have it. My gears in my brain started turning and I saw potential in this tiny Luigi Italian car. The first thing I thought of was street car with all VW pan and suspension, but that would require a ton of narrowing to get it all to fit as wheel well mods would require a lot of body work. The best solution to my problem is make a baja and go wider.

This little car is getting a VW power train transplant. Not stock by any means it will grow into a tiny monster baja I'm calling the "Flea"

As you know I'm driving a truck for a living and get to work on my car 10 days at a time. I have almost finished the frames mods, and will be having a rolling chassis by the middle of next month. I'm on a mission to complete the build by years end. I work 14-16 hours a day on the car when I get home. I will post up pictures next time I'm home. I have some on my phone but not my tablet I'm posting on and not sure how to get them on the tablet.

Some specs on the original Fiat 500 N
Width under 4 ft wide
Length under 7 ft long
Weight around 1000 lbs
Full ragtop roof...my favorite feature on this car

My target weight when finished is 1200 lbs. I hope you enjoyed my story and look forward to sharing my new adventure with all of you.[/quote]
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Now this I can't wait to see. Should like it could turn out very interesting.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This one photo took me 30 minutes to figure out...I will get better, just need practice.

This project is a one of a kind...I mean no one has ever attempted this before, I just hope it will be OK to post this here... I have searched the Web for anything like this and it just doesn't exist...I used my tablet to take this photo...it looks good.

A description of what's to come...3x3 rear arms with 930 racing cv's, 38" Fox coil over shocks and Empi rear disk brakes...the front end is a 10x10 warrior beam with 28" Fox shocks and Saco rake and pinion steering, International tie rods with Empi disk brakes...the transaxle was rebuilt by a friend of mine, stock 3 rib with welded 3rd and 4th gear, he also upgraded the bellhousing to a 091 with factory hydraulic clutch setup...this will help navigate a stage 2 Kennedy clutch.

I will update more pictures as more progress is made... I hope you enjoy the project...more to come. Cool
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

I think that thing is gonna look pretty damn cool once you get big tires and suspension on! Post your progress I wanna see this thing hit the dirt
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

That is awesome. No question about it. Cool

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

So, according to wiki that car came with a 13 hp 2 cylinder... mid '58 they came out with a 21 hp model to go 65 mph. Imagine a 1200 or 1300 VW as an upgrade! Looking forward to seeing build progress on this, but wondering how you'll keep your weight goal in tune?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

1000Lbs is a pretty ambitious goal. I expect my rail to be at least 1000 lbs...and rails are a pretty stripped down bare bones ride.

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words my fellow VW friends...I had finally got the front end half finished and will be dropping off the spindles tomorrow for assembly...I ran into some difficulty with the rear arms as the inner bearing race no longer wants to go back in...so I have to contact Appletree tomorrow.

As for weight, I was talking about the original Fiat weighing in at 1000lbs...my goal for this project is 1200lbs but really hoping to stay under 1300lbs...the body itself is under 200lbs and the floor and interior panels will be light weight aluminum...I don't plan to install a full roll cage because I don't plan on entering any racing events...I just wanted to have a really nice street baja that could also be fun off road...this is why I invested in a 22 gallon fuel cell...the interior is very small and a roll cage would just make this even tighter...I will have to build a rear subframe to support the giant rear shocks and for the 5 point harness to keep me in my seat.

I will try to get the hang of this picture posting thing down....so please be patient with me and try not to beat me up to bad...I know how important pictures are for you guys...once I get the hang of it, I will get more detailed photos of the project...in the meantime you can ask me about anything...I'm sure you have some questions to ask. Cool
VolkFanJefe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Subscribed..... Can't wait to see how this turns out!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

I'm getting better at uploading photos...not much work cuz I've been chasing down parts and service work...
the arms are finished.

Making some foot room

A nice view of the sun roof

Here is the one piece front end to the Fiat cowl...I only need to adjust the fiberglass 4 inches to make it look right.

This angle shows the shock clearance...I will be adjusting this a bit more.

And this is the tiny Flea waving hi to all my fans.

I drove to Wolfgang this afternoon and they assembled my spindles while I waited, what incredible service they have...Steve the owner was incredibly friendly and courteous...he even took me in the back of the shop and showed me his 2 dragsters...WOW!!! Those machine's were incredible...tomorrow I will try and get the front and rear of the car on some wheels.

I hope you enjoyed this project so far as there is much more to come...thanks for following Cool
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

I didn't imagine the car with a bug front clip! Looks cool!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Can you keep the FIAT front clip? It would really show how small Le FLEA really is. I think the VW front end will make it too Bug like.

Great fab skills
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Surprised to see the bug front clip! I too think the Fiat front end would be awesome. Is it too small?
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Sorry guys...the hood was badly kinked and the nose of the car was badly rusted and filled with bondo...the one piece solved both of my problems...sorry to disappoint the fans...my original intention was to keep the bug eye look.

I think even with the bug nose it will still throw people off and do a double take...I wanted to share with you more progress as it is late.

I had to modify the trailing arms to get the cast caliper mount to work, but I got it done...a lot of work!

I got one side completed today...I went to 3 parts stores looking for bolts to fit the caliper brackets...EMPI sells kits but not with any hardware...I'm not upgrading an existing car, I'm building one from scratch...so I have to do a lot of driving around locating the right parts.

I hope to get the car on all fours tomarrow...I will have to do temporary rear shock mounts so I can get the car movable...my last day here is Sunday afternoon.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

I tried to upload more photos to the gallery but my connection here is not strong enough...I am glad to announce that I have a rolling chassis Shocked ...all the new parts on the suspension really kicked my butt...later Cool
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

I like that name: the Tiny Monster Flea.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

OK... I finally got more photos to share.

I had to modify the head to make room for the steering rack...it took me about 3hrs and was the last thing I had to do to complete the steering.

Finished Very Happy

Got the axles in and checking travel limit.

The rear shocks will set something like this...tight fit for the 22gal fuel cell...I have about 3/4" clearance between the sides of the cell and the shocks.

I couldn't be more happier than I am Very Happy ...the results so far are exactly how I wanted the look to be...this is the results of 3 cars; '70 IRS rear half, '65 link pin front half and a titled '58 Fiat 500N...and a mountain of new boxes full of parts.
Believe it or not, but I've only got like 17 days in this build...and had to cut up and scrap the left over body parts...don't worry though, no complete cars were harmed...the '70 was a rusted Swiss cheese body and the '65 bug was rolled from a side impact which a good friend helped me aquire both bugs for free.
I hope you enjoyed the progress thus far as I won't be back to work on it until September... I gotta make money to continue my dream... Rolling Eyes

Later Cool
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

I have to say something here...

Due to the lack of interest on my build I will no longer participate in sharing anymore progress.

Thank you for your time

Later Cool
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Oh no!

I'm watching for updates, but don't have much to contribute... as I'm flabbergasted watching. Cool Laughing

bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

i like seeing them just its not a common thing to do so i assume people dont know what to add to the conversation as they are unfamiliar with such things
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: