Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comments Bock...yah, the PT seats are a great fit for any project. ..now here is 28hrs of bustn' @$$....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I should have been a pipe fitter Laughing

No room for a roll bar and shock towers so now the shock towers are my roll bar.

Front axle support....will have more pics of the front end tomorrow.

Just a reinforcement tied into the frame.

This was a lot of work to get done in a short time...I hope that people can appreciate the work I've done and use this build as a reference for their own. ..I will post some really good detail pics and include the angle finder if anyone wants to install a similar rear hoop shock into their bug...heck...if I can squeeze 36" coil over into a Fiat, than a VW bug is like huge! Shocked compared to what I have. ..I hope y'all enjoy the pictures.

Almost finished product. ..tacked in before finally welding.

Those upper shock mounts took me 2.5hrs to make. ..there was a lot of mocking up and measuring over and over before welding.

More pictures coming. ..come back soon.
VeeWeeman
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Those diagonals coming to the frame horns look like they would interfere with my header. Did I miss where you mocked yours up?

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Those diagonals coming to the frame horns look like they would interfere with my header. Did I miss where you mocked yours up?

Top be completely honest cbeck I was just concerned about getting the project done. ..my motor is at the shop getting redone and I don't have another one to use for mock up. ..my exhaust is very different from your. ..I have the sidewinder with the high clearance j tubes...if it won't fit...then I'll adjust it then. ..good eye and thanks for the heads up Embarassed

VeeWeeman Cool
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

We don't make mistakes, we simply change our mind. A lot. Confused
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Very slick fab skills. The shock tower / rollbar is very elegant and clean.

I just noticed the "suicide doors" Very cool.
Sandbar Norm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Really nice design.
Looks like not your first time building projects.
Good job. Cool
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

This is incredible!!! I love that you're not using any certain "formula". Very unique and well built!
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

tobiism wrote:
This is incredible!!! I love that you're not using any certain "formula". Very unique and well built!

Thank you all very much for the nice comments. ..it feels good to receive such great reviews from Samba members Very Happy Very Happy

I don't use any formula. ..I just have 3 simple rules when designing my build:
Be different and unique
Don't follow others
And try not to use bolt on parts
My pedals for example, they are custom made one of a kind yet you can get the clutch and brake masters at any parts store. ..if the pedals get sloppy, you can service the bearings. ..it's not just building parts...I'm thinking of way down the road for the other guy.

I just turned 50 in '17 and am in a position to build my dream car...something that no one else has. ..by the time this Fiat baja is finished, I will have close to 20 grand invested...but if you go to the stealership, they'll be happy to sell you a 20,000 dollar piece of $h!t that looses 30% the second you sign on the dotted line.

Another reason I chose to use the Fiat is that I love tiny cars and I love VW's too, so this way I get the best of both worlds. ..I can now go to micro car shows and bug shows.

I do really appreciate all your support and comments.

Happy new year Razz

VeeWeeman Cool

Last edited by veeweeman on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
The MONSTER FLEA!! Shocked

Got my new shoes today!...yaah!

VeeWeeman

That's insane! Can't wait for more updates Very Happy

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Thanks pullstart. ..I have a few more pictures to share but haven't uploaded them yet. ..I took my project to the metal craftsman who is doing some very custom sheet metal work. ..he will have my car for a few months filling in the rear fire wall, building the rear fenders and fixing a few things.

So after I installed the new wheels I measured the front and rear track width. ..they both measure out the same. ..6' 10"s Shocked that's almost 7 feet wide Shocked ...now that's Insane! !

I agree pullstart, I love the new monster look Razz

VeeWeeman Cool
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

I'm waiting on the beginning of the thread on building the Baja Isetta.

Several years ago,there was a home I drove past daily that was a little bitty house on a large lot. It had a concrete porch across the front of the house and raised about a foot +. They had a Fiat 500 and an Isetta that were both being restored. In the process, both got stripped down to the bare body shells. Then gradually repaired and rebuilt. The daily driver for the household was a big late 60s Caddy.

I always wanted to take a pic of the place and put it up with a caption saying "If you can't run with the big dog...Stay on the porch!"
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:

I'd like to see that done Laughing

So I got the last of my pictures to share...got some more details of the rear cage.

Hoop bar triangle supports.

Cross bracing installed. ..there will be more bracing added later but I had to atleast get the fuel cell mounted for the sheet metal guy.

After the sheet metal guy saw this he said that he will be lowering the front support buy about 3 inches. ..which I'm OK with that.

These are the last of the pictures I had to share until my next home time off, which won't be until March...I should have some updated sheet metal pictures by then. ..I do hope you enjoy the new year!

VeeWeeman Cool
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:

These are the last of the pictures I had to share until my next home time off, which won't be until March.

VeeWeeman Cool

Going back to work so you can get some rest ? Laughing

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
veeweeman wrote:

These are the last of the pictures I had to share until my next home time off, which won't be until March.

VeeWeeman Cool

Going back to work so you can get some rest ? Laughing

YES!! Razz ...you are absolutely right dark earth. ..I only took like a half day off and went to see a movie, then it was back to work. ..I will finally get some needed rest. ..15 days of 12-14hrs every day working on mine or helping my buddy on his Vintage Sportster build. Sheew! #Sleep

VeeWeeman #Sleep #Sleep
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:

These are the last of the pictures I had to share until my next home time off, which won't be until March...I should have some updated sheet metal pictures by then. ..I do hope you enjoy the new year!

VeeWeeman Cool

I understand you're a driver? Be safe out there, and enjoy the views! We'll see ya when you get back in town!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

VeeWeeman Cool

Or

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
veeweeman wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

VeeWeeman Cool

WOW!!! Applause ...never thought I'd see that one done. ..I bet when he gets on the throttle. ...it's hold on time Shocked ...you must have spent hours looking for that photo. ..it would be interesting to see the build of this wild machine.

I would like to also encourage anyone that the VW platform is an excellent foundation for anything you can design up...Myers Manx, not VW but VW based...same for any other body on a VW frame. ..there are sooo many other cool looking small cars that would be on the road today if people would use there imagination, right? ...since I'm out on the road, I'd like to still stay in touch with you, my fans. ..so, what other cool classic do you think would benefit a similar build to mine?...I'm sure you guys can find something cool as a off road grocery getter Laughing Laughing Laughing

VeeWeeman Cool
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

I've seen a VW Rabbit with a beam front suspension and an aircooled engine in the back.

I've seen an early Honda Civic with a beam front suspension and an aircooled engine in the back.

I've seen a VW New Beetle with a beam front suspension and an aircooled engine in the back.

I've seen VW engines in a Fiat 850 Spyder and in a Fiat 500. Both drag cars called "The Little Giant Killer".
SoCalBajas Member
wyobuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Dang! Just found this one... That's just cool! Can't wait to see the next phase, and you gave me some ideas for my money pit!
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: I couldn't help myself...my story...the tiny "Flea" Reply with quote

Haha this is awesome. Shocked

I think my favorite part is how much of it is actually done right. I've gotta admit, when I saw the initial parts collection and what two cars were being added together, I thought "wow this is going to be like every Chevy-Nova-On-A-Blazer-Frame build here in the midwest, which is usually just a total trash heap death trap. I'll scroll through to see the downward spiral of poor decisions."

Pleasantly. Surprised. Smile

Came for the senseless chaos, stayed for the work ethic and fabrication talent.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: