Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Projectp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Looking for an exhaust, car is a 65 with stock 1600 dual port running dual weber 40 ifs. What i'm looking for:

- Definitely need stock pea shooter location tailpipes.

- Ground clearance also a must.

- Would also like to retain heat (massachusetts) but its not a deal breaker.

- I don't mind it being loud but i don't want it to be obnoxious.

So far found these 3, any thoughts on these? Thanks

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C23%2D35171S

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Sport-Muffler-155-212-05200-p/155-212-05200.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Tri-Mil-Hotdog-Muffler-VW-Beetle-and-Ghia-p/tri-mil-hotdog.htm
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

None of these are "performance" exhausts, if you dont mind leaving ponys on the ground then any of these will work. As far as that goes you could also just use a stock exhaust

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

The EMPI and Tri-mil are loud, the VS has an "extra quiet" option which makes it very quiet.

There is also the A-1 pea shooter muffler with the sidewinder header, but that is a pricey combo and has no preheat option.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Projectp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Its just a stock 1600, I doubt any of these would give a noticeable gain anyways. Mostly just looking to change the sound/the dinky look of the stock pea shooters.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

another option is to simply use a flared tail pipe insert, they do give a very different look and sound, even with the stock muffler.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Projectp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
The EMPI and Tri-mil are loud, the VS has an "extra quiet" option which makes it very quiet.

There is also the A-1 pea shooter muffler with the sidewinder header, but that is a pricey combo and has no preheat option.

That A-1 isn't available for heater boxes, and id need to get a header additionally correct? Also need to remove the muffler to adjust the valves it looks like? Might be more trouble than its worth.

I don't mind if its a bit loud as long as it doesn't sound stupid. Watched a few videos of the tri-mil and it sounded good, though its tough to tell just by a video.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

The "hot dog" muffler sounds more like an untuned, over pressurised fart than any thing else, sorry, I dont see down grading an exhaust system just for the sound

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Projectp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
another option is to simply use a flared tail pipe insert, they do give a very different look and sound, even with the stock muffler.

Didn't think of that, thats a good idea. I see vintage speed makes some nice stainless tips. Since this is a stock 1600 with just dual carbs, does replacing the whole system make a negligible performance gain? If so I'd rather just replace the pea shooters as the stock exhaust on my car is actually in great shape.
Projectp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
The "hot dog" muffler sounds more like an untuned, over pressurised fart than any thing else, sorry, I dont see down grading an exhaust system just for the sound

If thats the case than that option is definitely out. Thanks for the input.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
None of these are "performance" exhausts, if you dont mind leaving ponys on the ground then any of these will work. As far as that goes you could also just use a stock exhaust

What would you suggest? I'm going to be in the market for an exhaust for the 1776 I'm building. Dual Kadrons. I would prefer not too loud and stock exhaust exits and heater capabilities.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Your options from worst to best for a stockish 1600:

EMPI/Tri-Mil Euro 2-Tip. Usually painted yellow inside, has chrome tips, and appears to be a glass pack. It also sucks balls.

A1 1 1/2" Sidewinder with stock exiting location.

Vintage Speed Mufflers, low dbm, good for lower performance

CSP Super Competition Exhaust - 1 1/2" primaries, twin mufflers, exits through stock locations

Ahnendorp B.A.S. Customsport SS Exhaust (item#21113) - equal length primaries, can use heater boxes

I vote for Ahnendorp. Look on their website. The pics speak for themselves!

Last edited by bugguy1967 on Wed May 24, 2017 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
piperj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

4-5 years ago I went through the same decision process for my bug with a 1915 motor . I was looking to install in the standard apron cutouts , hook up to the heater box system and not have an issue with raspy exhaust note. I ended up going with the Vintage Speed Box and have been quite happy with it. The Dansk box was not available at that time. What I found is that you need compatibility between the muffler and the heater or J tube with respect to where the exhaust flange hooks to the muffler. The flange "clocking" has to match the muffler. If you consider the VS muffler I would work with John at ACN and make sure it will adapt to your heater box or J tube...just my input.
John
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Stock heater boxes,,= 1 3/8" exhaust at best, nothing more. Chocking 2 cylinders so you can have 2 flow more is stupid.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Right. Stock boxes are actually smaller than 1 3/8". A lot of these European exhausts bolt-up to 1 1/2" boxes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Stock heater boxes,,= 1 3/8" exhaust at best, nothing more. Chocking 2 cylinders so you can have 2 flow more is stupid.

Didn't say stock heater boxes.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Also didn't say "1 5/8" heater boxes" so the assumption is???

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
He may be willing to change them to suit the chosen system.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

No assumption. You're a dick.

Basically the way it looks is the only way to keep heater boxes and have a stock exiting exhaust is to upgrade to larger heater boxes and get a CSP which puts it in the range of $1500.

Sorry for the hijack OP. Carry on.
Projectp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Sorry for the hijack OP. Carry on.

Don't worry about it! Keeps the conversation goin.
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

I am running the EMPI GT on my 1600.It is a little louder than stock,but has a nice deep tone.I really like the sound of it.Actually fit as well.The large tips look cool.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: