Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
the VS has an "extra quiet" option which makes it very quiet.

That sounds like a good option... for those of us who drive for hours!
What is this option exactly?
I've been trying to get info directly on VS website but I can't find anything about it. Anyone has one and could comment?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Sport-Muffler-155-203-05200-p/155-203-05200.htm

first drop down.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Do they offer that on the buses exhaust?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

pierrox wrote:
Do they offer that on the buses exhaust?

You need to be specific on which one. We have it listed on all the exhausts it is an option on.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
You need to be specific on which one. We have it listed on all the exhausts it is an option on.

Oups sorry, I looked at a couple of them and the only option I saw was the heat-riser.
Engine is 1699cc with 74mm crank and two Weber ICT34. So probably 80HP, roughly? It's meant to be a road-trip machine, not a drag racer - hence the will to have something bearable after 8 hours on the road in the bus.
I was thinking about the Sport model:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Sport-Muffler-155-209-05200-p/155-209-05200.htm
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

I really donīt like to take bread out of Johnīs mouth. But especially since you are on our side of the pond I will definitely recommend the BAS customsport, - eventhough its a little pricey.
- You get better torque where you need it.
- Much quieter. (you can choose to run it with or with out end diffuser) I usually run them without because with they get a tad too stockish sounding. I like the ever so slight rumble better.
- Much better quality (sturdy)
- Buy once, cry once...... Now where did I hear that Rolling Eyes Laughing
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

That's right!
And whilst I do provide bread to John when I need parts for our US van - mind you, I also got stuff from him for the one in France, took the plane with a complete carburetor kit from Aircooled! But bringing a whole exhaust on the plane might be pushing it.

Back on the subject. Those exhausts seem like a piece of art. And to be honest I never heard about them until I read this thread.

But... it's clearly a bug exhaust. I don't mind the look of a two-tip on a bus, actually that's what we did on our BienCuit bus, but would the BAS work with a bus that has a engine support bar?

When you say it's "too stock" for you, that makes me want to get one tomorrow!
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Found it for the bus:
http://www.ahnendorp.com/Beetle-typ-1-engineparts-...ating.html

I don't know what they mean by "If you want to have a normal optic", might have to try to google-translate the german page to see if it makes more sense.

Now I have to talk to the bank... or to Santa Claus!
Doktor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

CSP Super Competition - buy once, cry once. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

For a bus the super comp doesnt fit that well.
But for a type 1 it is a very nice solution from mild to 130 hp. 145-150 if you know what youre doing. But that's pushing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

pierrox wrote:

I don't know what they mean by "If you want to have a normal optic"

I think it means, "If you want to have a stock appearance." Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
pierrox wrote:

I don't know what they mean by "If you want to have a normal optic"

I think it means, "If you want to have a stock appearance." Cool

Yep it probably got lost in translation! Cool

Back on the VS, they sent me a photo of the "Extra Quiet" option:

Sexy picture on black silk. And the tail pipe looks indeed much smaller.
redhot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

New system from CSP:

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/news/csp-evolution-com...ort=400041

pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

"Competition"! Bye bye ears! Wink
Is it really a new one?

I eventually got an Ahnendorp BAS. Haven't installed it yet but will report. Cost an arm... but a smaller arm than this CSP in fact!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

The EVO is really an interesting item. I look forward to putting it through hell on the dyno to see what it can support IRL.

T
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Please post your results here, Torben! Very Happy
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

redhot wrote:
New system from CSP:

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/news/csp-evolution-com...ort=400041

Hi! Is this quieter than stock?
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
303epps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Hello Alstrup,

I noticed that you frequently recommend the CSP super comp exhaust system. I was close to purchasing the CSP product when I read this discussion about reversion.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Have you found away around the problem described, only recommend for certain engines or live with the issue.

It's quite rare that you and Modok are on opposite sides of the fence so to speak so I'm intrigued.

Eric
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Santa just dropped of my Christmas present Laughing
Can’t wait to try it out

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

303epps wrote:
Hello Alstrup,

I noticed that you frequently recommend the CSP super comp exhaust system. I was close to purchasing the CSP product when I read this discussion about reversion.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Have you found away around the problem described, only recommend for certain engines or live with the issue.

It's quite rare that you and Modok are on opposite sides of the fence so to speak so I'm intrigued.

Eric

Hello
It is not the exhaust that creates the problem that is discussed in that other thread. Itīs the combo and even more the static CR.

Olsen, which system did you buy?

T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: