Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Well technically it’s a Christmas present from my wife, so I can’t open it just yet. But she was pointed in the direction of the new Evo Competition 42mm, and my wife is pretty good at following directions Laughing
I’m pretty exited to see what it will do compared to my VS Super Flow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

flat4olsen wrote:
I’m pretty exited to see what it will do compared to my VS Super Flow

Same, since mine is in the post Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

I need a wife like that!!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

A few first impressions:
Seems well build overall. The tubing is thicker gauge than my Vintage Speed Super Flow. The welds arenot nearly as nice the VS, looks like Mig welds.
Can’t tell how it fits on the car yet,- looking forward to that Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Man, that is a nice piece of kit.

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

It's been known to have a pronounced reversion spike.
Secondary size is too big and/or mufflers would be better of if they were chamber type instead of glasspack.

This may be hardly noticable or drive you nuts, depends what engine you put it on.
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Really? Are you sure you are not takling about the CSP super Competition? This is the all new CSP EVO, designed with features from the JPM/CSP Wasp exhaust.
I didn´t know this had been tested in real life yet?
It may have the same “flaws” as the Super Competition, who knows.
Anyway,- it´s replacing a Vintage Speed Super Flow, so I´m probably not going to notice anything wrong about it....
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Oh, ok.
I am not sure, I just used my eyeballs and looked at at the picture.

It's all about try and see.
If it works great...great, If it doesn't work like you want then.... we'll fix it. Very Happy
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Glen, this is what you're looking for. Just got mine today and laid it out, it is much better than the VS, that I have, in construction. I think it's going to take me a longer time to break this one.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Yeah looks very well-made.
#3, #1 tubes shortest route possible....good
Collector where tubes come together is not overly small nor tight.... good

Mufflers....
Just wanted to warn you that layout is a questionable, and if I'd read the last page I see that was already brought up, so I'm just being redundant. Carry on!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:

Hello
It is not the exhaust that creates the problem that is discussed in that other thread. It´s the combo and even more the static CR.

Olsen, which system did you buy?

T

So, stupid question before I read into it more. Wouldn't the reversion come from the cam timing as supposed to the type of muffler used? Is the primary too long?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Well, its difficult to find all small issues out from a brief explanation. I have a hunch that this guys cam is a little unprecise. I would´nt be surprised if it is much closer to 108 ILC than the 105 it is supposed to be. But the obvius with that engine discussed in the other thread is lack of intake port mix & velocity, which results in a very poor tumble in the cylinder. This gets even worse when the CR is low because then the mix does not get increased much in the compression stroke. During combustion the fuel is still relatively non atomized, that means that the plugs cannot get the burn started properly. If you have a weak ignition spark it only improves the problem. When you at at the same time have a relatively high I/E ratio it only contributes to the already tilting tree and you will see excessive amounts of unburned fuel in the exhaust. The 02 sensor (if one is present) will see this as a lean condition because the exhaust gas is cold.
Can it be solved without opening the engine (?) Yes it can. You can reduce carb size and reduce intake port volume (From throttle to valve) meaning that you either need another set of manifolds with only 40 mm bowl or sleeve the existing manifolds. Next you want the inside of the manifolds to be raw in the surface so that you make as much turbulence in the intake as possible.
Then you improve your ignition. In fact here an MSD/Mallory/Pertronix multi strike CDI would come in handy because of the improved spark, so more mix get in touch with the spark. But less will do. Here a Pertronix II with a 0,6 ohm coil could really make a difference due to the very fast reload time. (A normal system can be tweaked too, but the II is easy and the one to choose if you need to go shopping anyway) Next, you would want an ignition with vacum advance. If the carbs are Spanish or Italian IDF´s I will definitely recommend a Black box or even a 123 usb, because the vacum signal from the IDF´s are very weak if even present. Last thing. You should set the plug gap up to 0,033 to 0,039". Some plugs wohnt go that far, but 0,030 to 0,033 is no problem. Now you can make the advance curve so that it helps recuing the burn under rapid vacum changes and also low vacum.

Such an engine will most likely not make more than 110, maybe 115 hp, so 40 mm idf´s will be more than adequate. So will the Super Comp exhaust. It will support 130 hp easy and 150 when pushed to the limit. (But I will not recommend that. 140 - 145 hp is considered top or the back pressure becomes too high. After all it - is - a short collector.)

Hope this helps.

I still haven´nt had a chance to test the EVO. But soon I hope. The next engine we will be spending time on is equipped with a Wasp stage2 Shocked Cool

T
2109GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Hi,
Have you had any chance to test the EVO yet?
I'm about to buy one myself for my 2165. I'm not sure whether it will be a EVO or a Python 42mm with heater chambers. But since I like the stock looking tail pipes, I guess it will be the EVO.
2165cc, 9,5:1, slightly ported 049-heads 42X37,5 W120 1,25:1, 44 IDF's.
//Jerry

Last edited by 2109GHIA on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Haven’t tested mine yet, don’t know if others can chime in on their experience? Pulled my engine apart to change valve springs, but one thing led to another, so it will be a while before I know for sure. Anyway, the updates to my engine this winter, will be to significant to make a 1:1 comparison between my experiences with til VS and the EVO, so my review will be biased anyway.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Well, I finally got my engine broken in and running, soon to be tuned. The EVO has a very interesting sound. It kinda sounds like the gates of hell were opened and a demon was released.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Mine is on as well. Love the sound of it (what I can hear,- my intake is louder than my exhaust on acelleration).

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

I thought you fabricated an air box for the carbs to quiet down induction noise.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

Will start a 150ish hp 2165 up this weekend. This engine has the larger EVO installed

This will be my hirst EVO also.
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

@74 Thing: I did, but sold it. It did quiet down the intake noise quite a lot, but was to restrictive. Working on an other idea 😀.
Did you get my pm regarding dist cap?
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: exhaust recommendation, stock tailpipe locations Reply with quote

I bought his airbox.Nice piece of kit. Restrictive? I guess but without being on a dyno I can't tell. Cuts down intake noise a great deal.That was my goal primarily anyway. I am tweeking it a bit to make intake on top side as opposed to bottom where the intake is much warmer from heat off the engine. Just trying to decide size of intake horn. My only problem with this set up is that when going to car shows I have to answer a lot of questions about the set up since it so unique.Personally I love it. It was way too loud for my tastes before and the $$$ for the CSP unit was a bit too steep.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: