Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FF007 Okrasa Gullwing Coupe Build
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: FF007 Okrasa Gullwing Coupe Build Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

It's been over 5 years since I posted my first vintage speed build here and I am pretty excited to share my progress on my latest work with you. I wanted to thank everyone from the forum here that has shared their thoughts and support.

FF007 is a coach built, one-off design. I like to tie in influential design elements of an era in an effort to make a car that could almost be something that went missing back in its day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tom Bruch whom I met through this forum has become a great friend and many of the ideas that I put into my builds get bounced off of him.

The Okrasa "40HP" Engine was originally built for drag racing Ghia on the East Coast back in the 70's. Tom found the engine after being stored for something near 30 years and gave it a massage before sending it my way for the Coupe.

Here's what Tom had to say about the engine:

"This is a chickenhouse find that has been stored for more than 30 years that I know of. It is an 1800cc 74x88mm with Corvair pistons & cylinders. It has Okrasa heads, manifolds, and carbs. Very light 180mm flywheel. A quite nasty Engle cam. 9.5:1 compression. 1:1 1600 rockers. 8 dowel crank. Possibly an eary Clauds Buggy crank. The block is stamped with "KD" (factory rebuild) and a second "#961307" on the right side of the generator stand.

It could have seen some race use because the intake manifolds were ported, the throttle shafts profiled, thinned, and polished. The 32PBJ carbs appear to have been carefully cleaned up and deburred inside.

I have been able to trace some of the history. It was built in the late Sixties by Eddy Brahn who was the driver of the VW drag car called "Half Gas" with some connection to Victory VW in Newport News VA. The engine was built for a returning Vietnam Vet and hauled to Iowa in the right front seat of a Ghia. It was street raced for years in the Ghia until the car rusted out. The engine then changed hands a few times and ended up in a chickenhouse. I have to thank the person the stored it. There was clean oil in it, holes plugged and sealed. It was kept dry and turned over by hand. I actually started it in as-found condition and it sounded good. No noise or smoke. A few pushrod tube leaks, that was it."

More photos of the car:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdoc2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: FF007 Okrasa Gullwing Coupe Build Reply with quote

Great build! I'm looking forward to seeing this come along
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: FF007 Okrasa Gullwing Coupe Build Reply with quote

Shocked

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: FF007 Okrasa Gullwing Coupe Build Reply with quote

WOW!!!!

If I ever win the lottery, you will be the first person I call, even before family

WOW

brad
49vwsplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: FF007 Okrasa Gullwing Coupe Build Reply with quote

Check out his website. There's a cool vid on the car and some of the work involved in making this piece of art.
Spectacular Chris!!!
Driver: It's OK officer, I don't wear glasses..I have contacts.
Officer: I don't care WHO you know!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: FF007 Okrasa Gullwing Coupe Build Reply with quote

Very awesome work! Got the shits just looking at it.
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: FF007 Okrasa Gullwing Coupe Build Reply with quote

Those curves Razz
I would love to see this project coming along!

Just interested, is one of the FFs equiped with a more performance based engine? Would be kinda cool to have such a nice car with 200bhp or so Cool
Chris R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: FF007 Okrasa Gullwing Coupe Build Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. Peter_N, I have a 160HP build coming along right now. That car will weigh around 1200LBS.

I've now completed the Gullwing and have had wonderful drives with it. Here is a quick video:

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: FF007 Okrasa Gullwing Coupe Build Reply with quote

WOW
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: