Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

Long story short I forgot to put clamps or zip ties on my axles. They're riding up on the joints. It seems very difficult to pull the bolt where it needs to be.

Any advice on putting these boots where they need to be or should I just pull the axles and fix on the bench. I was thinking just zip ties.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Long story short I forgot to put clamps or zip ties on my axles. They're riding up on the joints. It seems very difficult to pull the bolt where it needs to be.

Are you talking about the small end of the boots on your rear axles? Let them find their happy spot and put some zip ties there, but not uber tight. They should be able to float a bit.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

yeah, add me to the list of "didn't clamp with regrets". 4 new Lobro CVs with Rockford boots after my engine + trans rebuild. checking things out after about 500 miles and notice grease flung from the small ends. had drove thru some light rain but didn't take them off to examine. 7500 miles now and still quiet but...

i just zip tied where the boot wanted to rest. seemed to add enough tension to seal.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

Was that all clean before the new cv's/boots? I would assume so. What grease are you using?

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

I didn't clean it that well. I guess I should have in case to monitor splatter. I I'm using 944 lobro joints with NEO HPCC#1 CV Joint Grease. I did not fill the boots with grease.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

I cant quite get the boots into the ribbed zone Should I try for that. I'm thinking it might be easier when the axle is off or should I clamp where the boot naturally sits.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

To my eyes, it looks like if you tried to get that particular boot onto the rubber zone it would be at it limits of acting as an accordion and be more likely to tear. I’d clamp them where they are. Or not clamp at all - not everybody uses clamps on the small side of the boot.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

Clamp where they are.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

Ok, that undercarriage is waaaaay too clean! Wink
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

Are you sure those are the correct boots for the Vanagon?

Most Rockford and Lobro Vanagon CV boots have four pleats, while those only have three ...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

Hummm… I got them from t3. I'll have to check with Chris. Thanks!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

Mine were from T3 also and they look the same. Scroll up to see
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

Those look more like Syncro Front Outer Boots:

http://t3technique.com/suspension-and-drivetrain/d...outer.html

Wonder if the wrong boots were ordered/shipped?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

I spoke to Chris at T3. He said the boots are the correct ones, just a newer version that eliminates one of the bellows.
Yes a VERY clean undercarriage that is STILL awaiting its maiden voyage. I'm still sorting out the bugs from my install.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

I spoke to Chris at T3. He said the boots are the correct ones, just a newer version that eliminates one of the bellows.
Yes a VERY clean undercarriage that is STILL awaiting its maiden voyage. I'm still sorting out the bugs from my install.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:

If these alternative boots are the same overall length despite having one less pleat, I suppose they should work fine. But, if the overall length is shorter than a stock boot, I can see why they may ride up on the axle shaft, and be unable to grip the retention ridges.

I'm not sure about any other implications of using a shorter boot in this application ...
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

Found this cracked boot today. They're about 6 months old with maybe 1-2k miles. My Rockford boots want to crawl up onto the joint. You can see the other side they make contact with the CV joint bolts at the bottom. I have a 1.5" gowesty lift.

I'm going on a 1.2k mile trip on Friday. There is going to be some rain. These are new lobro 944 joints. No offroading, only pavement. Am I going to be okay till I get back?

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

1,200 miles that's kind of a long way to "throw grease" out of your new 944 CVs. You might consider sliding under there and needle grease it every 200 miles. I'd reboot if at all possible. Friday is a few whole days away.

Lots of folks drive for 10,000 miles with cracked boots (totally destroying their CVs).

My opinion: ( thread title ---> Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED )

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIRED Reply with quote

I purchased the Genuine GLK/Lobro 944 CV Joint Kit from T3. It came with some boots but I opted for the Rockford.

I do have the boots from that kit. I just don't have any more grease yet. NEO HPCC#1 CV Joint Grease is the grease I used. Im worried during the swap I'll lose to much grease. I can use the supplied grease that was included with my joint kit. However I'm not sure if those greases can combine.

Ill put my clamps on this time. I'm worried that I'll over stretch them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: