Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RVC long island: anyone have any stories about my '66 beetle??
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LessThanJake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: RVC long island: anyone have any stories about my '66 beetle?? Reply with quote

been wanting to post this for awhile as I've always been curious

I have a 1966 beetle I'm restoring, it came from a guy named Vinny in Baldwin NY, an older Italian guy who had litarly about 20 of them in his backyard down the block from the friendly's restaurant (I THINK the street is called central, I was there last summer and its totally unrecognizable from back in the day)

I got the bug in the late 1990's and I don't have any pictures of it back then with me at the moment BUT it had some really unique stuff that I can describe and I'm wondering if anyone here has any stories about the car from the 70s / 80s back when it would have been on the road:

it was that weird mint green stock color, had a small 3 spoke (I think its called a grant wheel?) steering wheel, the floors were rotted out when I got it so someone had moved the battery to the rear package tray and mounted it there with a couple screws or bolts (honestly don't remember how they mounted it but I still have the battery plate, its out of some old American car for sure, like an olds or chevy type deal) the drivers side front fender had about 7 dents in a straight line up and down, someone ran a REALLY sketchy brass fuel line on the drivers side next to the running board, I don't know if it had custom seats or not as by the time I got it there were none inside.

BUT THE STRANGEST THING: under the dash was pastel PINK shag carpeting!

if it had any 'motor mods' (such as a custom air cleaner or something) I have no idea as the motor was nothing more than a block with heads and an intake by the time I got it, it still runs to this day however! (once I bolted on all the missing parts obviously)

the registration said it was last on the road between 1983 and 1987, I don't know for certain as I have another 60s bug last registered from the 80s and at this point and I can't be sure about the dates from two long gone stickers are, but I'd lean more twords 1987 for this one.

the guy said he bought it from someone in Rockville Centre on long island NY....and judging by the rot on this thing I'm guessing it was a water front house! lol.

so that's all I got. anyone remember the car or have any stories about it?
the mild custom touches on it make me think the owner (I'm assuming a female judging by the pink carpeting) was at least a little bit into cars and thus would have gone to cruise nights and such, but who knows.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: RVC long island: anyone have any stories about my '66 beetle?? Reply with quote

I've lived on Long Island all my life and have owned my 74 Beetle since new. I've been involved with local VW clubs since the mid 80s.

Sorry, but I don't remember seeing the car. Maybe some pictures will help.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LessThanJake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: RVC long island: anyone have any stories about my '66 beetle?? Reply with quote

hey glenn
I looked thru the only box of photos I have at my apartment and all I could find were these:
Vinnys 1964 bug that he 'daily drove to the bagel store' down the block from his house, an orange '74 bug he had in the backyard, and one of mine after some random carpet had been thrown into it and the dash primed, really not of any help but it does show the steering wheel I was talking about.

I dunno, maybe someone will recognize the yard from the two photos.

when I get a chance to get into my storage bin I'll find more photos of my '66

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: