Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?)
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gypsymobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

Hey fellas

My 03' MVW will be getting its much needed height adjustment (lift) here in the next week or two.

Attempting a DIY (hit the gong).

Much has been said to get GWs adjustment tool, so I'll be waiting for that to ship.

Any other tips or tricks to make this process easy as possible?

Pics or video would be a bonus and much appreciated.

Cheers!
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

I see the yellow 12 point torsion bar adjustment tool on GoWesty. I adjusted my torsion bars a little bit and just used an adjustable wrench, because the nuts were just 6 point and wasn't moving them too far. I can see the depth of the socket would make it easier.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=23304

Also, don't try and make them perfectly even from the bottom of the threaded rod or you could end up with an uneven front end lift. Maybe that only applies to campers though. Just something to be conscious about.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

Google: 1-1/8 deep well socket.

Use that, a 3" extension and a breaker bar.
Gypsymobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

Really appreciate the advice fellas - and pic!

I'll post before and after when it's all said and done.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

Start hosing down those adjustors with penetrating fluid asap. I managed to free up one side but the other side had to be replaced completely. I'm in rust-belt south-western Ontario though hopefully you have better luck.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
d-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

It is essential that you support the van on a jack stand while adjusting the ride height, otherwise the adjuster thread can twist off the bar and the van can drop on you.

Otherwise it's textbook stuff, spray the thread with penetrating oil (plus gas is my favourite, don't know if that's available over there), give the thread a quick clean with a wire brush, spray with oil again to clean, then adjust. I just used a regular combination wrench, think it's 27mm.
Gypsymobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
Google: 1-1/8 deep well socket.

Use that, a 3" extension and a breaker bar.

Would a 6 point socket work just as well as a 12 point socket?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

Pick whatever you want. I personally would use a 6 point.
Snowshoer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

Do the wheels need to be off the ground while turning the nuts? I've tried and one of mine won't budge. It seems like the whole unit is twisting.

Thanks,
Neil.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

Snowshoer wrote:
Do the wheels need to be off the ground while turning the nuts? I've tried and one of mine won't budge. It seems like the whole unit is twisting.

Thanks,
Neil.

It's advisable for safety to have the front end lifted while getting things going just in case you have rotten/weak threads. The vans weight may make turning the nut a bit tougher but if the nut won't budge at all it's seized to the threaded rod.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

I went to adjust my torsion bars last night, tugged on ratchet, no movement. Got back and pushed with my 2 feet and bang! The top of the threaded T bolt popped out of the frame and the van dropped. Luckily I had a jack stand under it! Now what? I thought I would try vice grips on T end, heat up the nut with torch and try removing with air gun. Any ideas?
marshy11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

57 Zwitter? wrote:
I went to adjust my torsion bars last night, tugged on ratchet, no movement. Got back and pushed with my 2 feet and bang! The top of the threaded T bolt popped out of the frame and the van dropped. Luckily I had a jack stand under it! Now what? I thought I would try vice grips on T end, heat up the nut with torch and try removing with air gun. Any ideas?

You'll have to figure out how to get the nut backed off far enough to get the hanger back in its seat. If the nut is stuck, clean the threads best you can with a wire brush and brake parts cleaner then soak the nut in penetrating oil.
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

I wire brushed the threads clean, clamped the T top with vice grips .Put a pc of sheet metal between Fuel tank and adj nut. Heated up nut with oxy/acetylene torch, put 6pt 1 1/16 socket on it with air gun and it came loos ! Took it off, cleaned it and reassembled. Tried the other side with air gun and it adjusted fine. Maybe if I help top part of T bolt with vice grips to begin with it would of worked as it should have??
marshy11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

57 Zwitter? wrote:
Maybe if I help top part of T bolt with vice grips to begin with it would of worked as it should have??

If the nut doesn't turn easily then the threads are gummed up and need to be cleaned. Easily as in using a 16" breaker bar and not having to brace yourself or strain to turn it.
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

My right side torsion bar nut was totally seized. No amount of fire, leverage, etc could get it loose. Ended up taking it off with the angle grinder and putting in a new one. The only way to get access was to turn it with the socket so it dropped out of the slot in the frame.

My van lived it's first 13 years in MA so I see stuck fasteners a lot.

On a side note did the Cave Van 1.5" lift while I was at it. Along with just about every joint in the front, brakes, and a wheel bearing.
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

The cut off torsion bar bolt is in there with the other dead parts that I replaced this month. Took about 5 minutes with a fairly dull angle grinder blade. Being that close to the fuel plastic fuel tank with an angle grinder was a little nervous for me. BTW I twisted the bolt out of the frame to get it to drop down to where I could get to it to cut it. This was the right side so it's between the tank and the rear heater.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TChilds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

Why adjust the torsion bar? Do shops normally do this as part of an alignment?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

Aesthetics.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustment (pics/videos?) Reply with quote

Also, per the GW article which I feel is fairly accurate, the torsion bars take a set in the first year or so and the front end sags a bit. This should be addressed or the van will bounce off it's stops over bumps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: