Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

Calling all wheel pros.I am ready to purchase tires for my syncro and I am a bit overwhelmed. Here's the specs I know on my van and wheels. Help me pick.

1.8t conversion
Taller 4th gear .82
Audi a6 wheels : 16" x 7". 42mm offset
Schwenk syncro lift springs
G60 disc brakes front/eurovan disc brakes rear
Stock length wheel studs front
45mm studs rear

I want something that is great for the highway mainly but suitable for occasional off pavement bursts. Doesnt have to be too tready but look appropriate on a syncro if that makers sense. Like the tires you would see on a cayenne or Audi Q7. Let me know your thoughts opinions. Chris t3 you out there? Thanks guys

Heres a pic of my wheels.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Currently looking for 62 Double Cab, 66 Westfalia Parts!
(Rear seat and pedestal, bumpers, mirrors)

http://www.baycountrymotors.com

My 87 Syncro Westfalia 1.8t Restoration

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418933

"Do it the right way, or you'll pay for it"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skidub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

Amateur's opinion...no questions, hands down, 215/70r16 BFG KO 2 tires. You won't be disappointed.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

Skidub wrote:
Amateur's opinion...no questions, hands down, 215/70r16 BFG KO 2 tires. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks.I'm running those on my doka now but 14's. They are a bit noisy however I love the way they look. With the regearing on the syncro trans I am interested in feedback from users with a 1.8t and current rpms they are getting woth current tire size.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

I wrestled with the exact same requirements - went with Nokian Rotiiva's 215/65/16 very happy with my choice. No noticeable downside vs the miche;ins I had on the highway and handle very well off road. Not as burly as the k02s I considered but given my realistic time spent in the dirt is at 10% I didnt want the noise, cost or to lug the extra weight
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
my realistic time spent in the dirt is at 10%

that's the key right there...what kind of use are you going to get out of it?
For example you see so many Jeeps on the road with nice off-road rubber and they never leave the pavement.

How often are you going too?
If you could afford a another set of wheels, not pretty ones, but ones you can get dirty could you have a set for the pavement and one for the dirt?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

Realistically the only time I will ever go off rd would be at a campsite to get a good spot.nothing crazy. Tires will spend 99% of their life on pavement. Rotivas 215/70/16 look pretty nice.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

kevinm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

I second the Nokian Rotiiva's 215/65/16's.

I previously had the Michelin Agilis 205/65/15's on my 90 syncro westy and recently upgraded to the 16's on CLK rims. I noticed a slight increase in noise over the Michelins, but otherwise a very firm and stable feel on the road. Very solid, maybe more so than the Michelins, despite the slightly higher ride height.

A great tire, and highly recommended so far for road use. I have not tried off-road yet, though. I bought mine from tiresbyweb dot com and have had good results from them for this and other purchases. Warning: I have a Nokian bias, as I've used their snow tires for many years on my other vehicles with excellent results.

Here's a photo of the install. Thanks to Chris at T3 for his help in making this happen. Dem lug nutz fit like a surgeon's glove.

- Kevin

casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

kevinm wrote:
I second the Nokian Rotiiva's 215/65/16's.

I previously had the Michelin Agilis 205/65/15's on my 90 syncro westy and recently upgraded to the 16's on CLK rims. I noticed a slight increase in noise over the Michelins, but otherwise a very firm and stable feel on the road. Very solid, maybe more so than the Michelins, despite the slightly higher ride height.

A great tire, and highly recommended so far for road use. I have not tried off-road yet, though. I bought mine from tiresbyweb dot com and have had good results from them for this and other purchases. Warning: I have a Nokian bias, as I've used their snow tires for many years on my other vehicles with excellent results.

Here's a photo of the install. Thanks to Chris at T3 for his help in making this happen. Dem lug nutz fit like a surgeon's glove.

- Kevin

Any reason you went with the 215/65/16 instead of the 215/70/16.I was thinking of using the 70s on my syncro.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

I too have a set of the Rotiiva AT+, 225/65 16 and I too haven't gone off road yet with them.
On the pavement they give a solid feel to the Syncro. I also like the open tread design they used as I think it will work well in the rain to prevent hydroplanning.

In all honesty you need to do your research and read reviews submitted on all the tires out there because in-between the lines you'll pick up on things people are experiencing about the tires.
For example I had Hankook Dynapro MT put on by the PO and they are really dam good looking tires! They were too large and rubbing so I started looking to replace them. I wanted the same tires based on how I like the tread and good ride.
However, I found two instances where the sidewalls were cut by rocks, one time within 6 months of new and the same thing happened again to the same driver. It also happened to another owner in another state so that killed my desire for them!
So do your reading, but I like the Rotiiva's!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

Take a look at Yokohama Geolander. They're a good all around tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=CP6...27053701:s
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

casey79westfalia wrote:
Realistically the only time I will ever go off rd would be at a campsite to get a good spot.nothing crazy.

That's what I thought at first! Laughing

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
casey79westfalia wrote:
Realistically the only time I will ever go off rd would be at a campsite to get a good spot.nothing crazy.

Ha, ha, ha! Right?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
photogdave wrote:
casey79westfalia wrote:

Ha, ha, ha! Right?

So let's assume I follow you guys off road occasionally. Chris would you recommend the rotiva 70 or 65?
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

I am not Christopher, but i would take the smalest possible with your engine - gearbox setup.
If you are more for driving fun, reliability, mpg, than look.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
I am not Christopher, but i would take the smalest possible with your engine - gearbox setup.
If you are more for driving fun, reliability, mpg, than look.

Thanks. I certainly want mpg's and fun driving. Gotta look a little cool however. 😀
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

IF you have a 1.8t - going with 70 height should be just fine (gearing dependent). I think that's what Stephan runs on his. I have a stock 2.1 on a heavy syncro westy so for me it was a no brainer to minimize overall rolling diameter - 27" seemed like the best I could do. I looked at geolanders too and a lot of people like them but they aren't load rated for a syncro so I didn't want to risk it
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

Hey Casey,

I'd strongly consider the geolander! Given your location for the 365 days a year, this tire is hard to beat! Even the Nokian would be a good choice.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

Regardless of tire choice I would recommend a sidewall taller than 65. You may want more leeway for airing down and having a softer ride on rough roads, even if only occasionally.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

casey79westfalia wrote:
1.8t conversion
Taller 4th gear .82

your 4th is 3.5% tall, so it lower your rpm by 3.5%

now add the tire
if you use a 215x70x16, w a 28" diameter, which is 10% tall, your gearing ends up 13.5% tall overall..

a stock van with stock tires goes 71mph @ 4000rpm, so with 28” tires your 71mph would be at 3460, or 540rpm lower than stock.

in your other stock gears, your gearing will be 10% tall. It will reduce your RPM by 10%, for any given speed, compared to a stock tire.

The 215x65x16 Rottiva is a 27" tire, so 6% taller than a stock 25.5" tire. Imo this is a better match to your gearing, especially because you made 4th taller

with your 3.5% tall 4th and the 6% tall Rottiva, your 71mph speed would be at 9.5% less than stock 4000rpm, or a drop of 380rpm, so 71mph, at 3620rpm.

I would pick the Rottiva, for your 99% pavement use, particularly since it does not snow in Baltimore, otherwise I would consider a Nokia WRG3 because it has more sipes, which also helps in heavy rain btw.

Im heavily pro WR series Nokian, for snow, as I have found them unstoppable. The heavy siping also works surprisingly well on sand, and dirt, none of which you need Smile

just one other thing.. Nothing looks as bad ass as BFG.. true dat! but looks aint every 'ting
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pros help me select syncro tires Reply with quote

Thanks Jon slider. Looks like the rotiva is the one. Now to find the cheapest dealer.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: