Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A/C panels
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: A/C panels Reply with quote

These were on the seat when I bought the '87 poptop. I know that they are a drip pan and ... . I would like to reinstall them to get them out of the way and get the AC working. I never have tried to access the AC, but I have the Bentley.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I recently got the AC recharged on my '87 tintop in Kaneohe. I'm planning a road tip in my '87 poptop from SoCal to Oregon and I'd like to get the AC in that Vanagon working. I assume that the evaporator will have to be lifted to reinstall the drip pans and connect drip hoses. I've found Masterad Radiator & Air Conditioning 11470 W Washington Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90066
and will check them out for a recharge after the evaporator gets an inspection and plumbing.

Any tips on accessing the AC?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: A/C panels Reply with quote

To access the A/C evaporator in a Westy requires removing the speakers and then undoing various fastening hardware (mostly 10mm) holding the unit up to the ceiling. There are also fasteners accessed in the wardrobe unit and at the rear intake area.
My foggy memory says that there is a hanger bolt under the upper bunk mattress too..... 🤔

Not hard, but it's heavy, be ready for some weight.

You have fan wires and refrigerant lines to contend with too.

The drain hoses may not be an issue in your case! Laughing

You need three hands to make the job easy and a box or something to support the unit.

Why anyone would not install the drip pan is curious, unless the existing one is cracked and leaks so they got a new one but never installed it?

FWIW..... the evaporator had a very thin foam wrapped around it. That foam often has decayed to dust by now. There many who call it a "Filter" but its purpose is not to filter air. Most (sadly including me) who eliminate it ....

The blower fan on high will actually pick up condensate in the drip pan (or blow condensate off the evaporator coil before it drips into the drain pan) and blows it into the Van causing wet spots below the unit.
I strongly suggest that you find some very thin foam and reinstall it. It prevents, or lessens, this blown out of the unit moisture problem. It traps the droplets and allows them to drip off rather than be blown out.

Anyway....
Do not run the A/C without the drip pan, it will be soggy sleeping!

By removing the left Speaker you can see if there is currently a drip pan in there.

I strongly suggest that you add an intake air filter while you work on the unit. I did and it is shocking how quickly it went from Snow White to cruddy brown!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun May 28, 2017 4:43 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: A/C panels Reply with quote

Here's what I did to help manage the weight when I took the ac box apar last year. As with anything, there are bits that need to go together in the right sequence. The drain hoses were a bit of a pain for me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: A/C panels Reply with quote

I bought the '87 poptop sight unseen and I found many PO unfinished repairs and wanabee's bling. Because the drip pans are out I assumed that an AC repair had been attempted and the pans were left out when the PO or his mechanic was unable to complete the work. The "remove the left rear speaker to inspect" is an insight I was asking for. I ASSuMEd that because they were out they hadn't been reinstalled. I'll be taking a look in July when I go up to SoCal. I know that I'll need to support the evaporator. I'm not sure if I have an easy access to the six evaporator housing attaching bolts in the poptop or if I need to. If I recall three of them are inside the closet.

Thanks for the help.
Mahalo
Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: