Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Suspension Clunk ...help?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Super Suspension Clunk ...help? Reply with quote

Well, been working on the '74's rear suspension, but the '72 has developed a clunk and a shimmy in front. I can't find anything loose when I lift the front up and shake things around - ball joints seem good as do all of the urethane bushings which I put in 4 years ago, and so do the tie rod ends. The idler arm has a brass bushing that's less than a year old.

The strut inserts are maybe a year old as well, SACHS oil inserts. But I'm getting this when I bounce the driver side:

Link

Bad strut bearing? Insert gone bad? Other...? I'm hoping to get the community's suggestions before I embark on a not-fun front end tear down.

Thanks!

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Suspension Clunk ...help? Reply with quote

No takers..? Confused

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Suspension Clunk ...help? Reply with quote

It would be way easier to give a solid opinion if my hands were on that vehicle. In lieu of that.....

Sounds like a bad bushing or a bad ball thrust bearing assembly or bad ball joint. You can eliminate the control arm bushing by prying on them. If they are bad you will be able to move that socket all over easily. Ball joints are easy too. If the balljoint is good then the wheel and balljoint should move exactly the same. To test a balljoint, jack one side up about three inches off of the ground. Have someone pry up the tire with a pry bar, while you watch the ball joint from the front. If it is bad it will lift in and out of the socket out of synch with the wheel's up and down movement.

The ball bearing thrust assembly can be diagnosed with experience. They have a sound, like yours. However, I cannot confidently tell you it is bad without hearing it in person, so you got the long write up instead. Fair enough?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Super Suspension Clunk ...help? Reply with quote

VW Jimbo, thanks for the suggestions. It should be easy enough to check the ball joint as you describe the process. Given that this is a '72 Super w/struts, by "ball thrust assembly" do you the strut bearing at the top that attaches to the wheel well? To me it feels like it's happening at the top - either that or the cartridge is loose in the housing.

Victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Super Suspension Clunk ...help? Reply with quote

Yep! That is what it is called in the Bentley book. These are always going bad in the water cooled vws. I only saw a few of them go south on the air cooled.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Suspension Clunk ...help? Reply with quote

Jimbo - you were right on the money. The driver-side ball joint was bad. I couldn't really tell, until I separated the spindle from the ball joint, at which point it moved freely up and down and side to side. I cut it open to see what the guys looked like..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was completely dried out and not tension at all between the ball and the collar. This is a chinese POS that I installed 4 years ago. The other side I'm sure is soon headed into the same condition, but my parts guy only had one in stock so I'm ordering another from topline in anticipation.

The parts guy also suggested that I inject the boot section w/fresh grease. What do you think?

Thanks again!

Victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Suspension Clunk ...help? Reply with quote

Hey Victor,

That is awesome! Glad that I was able to help out from this side of the computer!

You should be injecting grease into those joints, at least one squirt, every oil change. You can add a grease nipple to the back of the steel plate, by drilling out a hole. Or you can purchase a grease needle. I am opposed to the needle since it compromises the rubber boot, but then again, always better than having a balljoint fail.

Here is a link to a needle from Amazon,
Lumax LX-1416 Silver 18G 1-1/2" Long Stainless Steel Grease Injector Needle with Cap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0059HJKQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_qvklzbFZXWTX8

Check it out! Good luck!

Get that bug back on the road!Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Suspension Clunk ...help? Reply with quote

Jumbo, can u be a little more precise about the drilling? I have grease nipples that would be easy to install, but a I'm not clear as to the correct spot to do so.

Thanks,
victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: