Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

Sadly, STF is a ghost town. That's why I'm asking here. Has anyone ever heard of CB Race Master components being used on a T4 head. Doing some quick research, I found out that the valves are only .046" longer than factory T4 valves, and the Race Master springs are only ~.140" larger in diameter than the T4 springs.

I'm building an 82x103 engine. Anthony (Cub) from CB will be modifying and flow-testing the heads in-house (first time ever). It's hard to find a T4 guy that actually provides flow data and isn't scared to go way beyond conservative. We're using the Race Master components because that's what they have. I'll supply him the new AA 2.0 Porsche castings, which can handle over 50x40 valves without breaking-through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Sadly, STF is a ghost town. That's why I'm asking here. Has anyone ever heard of CB Race Master components being used on a T4 head. Doing some quick research, I found out that the valves are only .046" longer than factory T4 valves, and the Race Master springs are only ~.140" larger in diameter than the T4 springs.

I'm building an 82x103 engine. Anthony (Cub) from CB will be modifying and flow-testing the heads in-house (first time ever). It's hard to find a T4 guy that actually provides flow data and isn't scared to go way beyond conservative. We're using the Race Master components because that's what they have. I'll supply him the new AA 2.0 Porsche castings, which can handle over 50x40 valves without breaking-through.

This is no sleight on AA. But...since they are using AMC castings...like HAM inc uses for their 914 2.0 reproductions.....I would stick with someone who has done a LOT of that particular work.

There is no 914 2.0L "new" casting from AMC. So what this entails is removal of all ferrous metal from the head...seats..studs....everything.

Then welding up spark plug holes, welding to the chamber, re-annealing of the entire head in an oven, re-machining the chamber to 914 specs, drilling new spark plug holes to 914 2.0L angle and location, machining and pressing in new seats....and the last detail that AA notes they do not do....is machining for the proper 3 bolt 914 manifold.....which is fine if you are going carbs.

Thats a lot of work to be left to a company with not much experience under their belt for doing this type of work.

The reason not many type 4 head people post flow numbers is:

A. There are damn few people who actually do REAL type 4 head work....Raby, Headflow masters, Fat Performance, European motorworks....and thats about it.

B. Flow numbers do not state everything. You can hog a head waaay out to produce stupid high VOLUME flow numbers and have it actually perform like crap depending on what other parts it has to perform with...as velocity and turbulence can kill you...or poor valve size choices...poor cam choices etc.

Too many people run around shopping for big flow numbers without thinking about the function.

This has been discussed on the STF for years at various times.

The other issue is that you have to be VERY careful when porting type 4 heads...even on new castings (though they have some improvements).

There is very little meat under the valves seats between seat ledges and exhaust ports.
Also because of port angles....a lot of the common locations for material removal you find in the average type 1 head...give no improvement in a type 4 head.

Its a different head and exhaust design and has different geometry issues.

Too many people who were strictly type 1 all their lives....come at their type 4 engines asking why the flow cant be better or the same as "X" head use on type 1. Maybe it can but maybe it can't.

The handful of type 4 centric businesses ....don't post many flow numbers...because its their information they spent $$$ developing and the vast majority of those asking are not buying...just speculating and tire kicking.

This has been discussed to death in the STF years ago as well.

The STF a ghost town.... Laughing ...meh...yes and no. Still a decent amount going on....but with a whole lot less aimless "filler" commentary...which is not all bad...don't get me wrong! It is more entertaining here!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Ray. I work five miles away from European. It's the only shop I do business with, as far as machining goes.

AA does have a new 914 2.0 casting. Not AMC. It's a replica of the 914 head. Same chamber. Everything. It has angled plugs. It comes bare. The only change is it has an 8mm guide instead of the larger soduim valve sized guide. They're currently sold out, but will have some more in stock soon. I have pictures if you'd like to see them.

Also, while I realize they're T1 head guys, Anthony is well versed in varios types of cylinder head work. If you know CB, you also know they're not head hoggers. They've been progressively making more CFM with smaller and smaller ports.

We were planning on originally going the HAM route, but his info that he gave me was lackluster. He was against anything larger than 96 bore, his flow info that he gave me didn't sound right for the output they were seeing, which made me wonder if they're actually all flow tested. Also, they're outta stock for a year.

The flow data is so important to me. It doesn't seem like I can get that too many places in the U.S.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

Oh, and about European, Jorge has the heads there. He is responsible for engineering feedback on those heads. He is well versed when it comes to head machining, but not particularly head porting. I've used European for porting once. Jorge's machinist is not a head guy. He lacks basic understanding of what is condusive to good flow.

I had to bring my heads back twice because his machinist made a large D port, and did absolutely zero work after the guide. He removed, and replaced all the guides, then ported. So I had him remove the guides again, and at least port all the way to the seats. Huge, slow-flowing chambers. Looks like all the other hack stuff. In conclusion, not a porting shop. That's ok though. They do a ton of awesome machining work.

My plans are to take posession of the new heads, have Jorge direct me to someone who can fill-in the intake fins to allow for more porting, have Jorge bore for 103mm cylinders, and mail them to CB.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

I thought racemaster valves WERE type-4 size?
I guess there is a slight difference.

What goes in must come out. 1 bananna in, .75 banana comes out. Exhaust MCSA should be .75 of intake MCSA.
Intake port dia should be .75-.86 of valve, shoot for .80 Better the valve/chamber flows the higher that can get.
That's the shortest and sweetest info you'll overlook and spend a decade proving for yoruself Razz

I too am a bit skeptical whenever I hear about 45mm+valves because the intake valve isn't where the bottleneck is.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking about valve size. HAM has a 48x38 head that flows 200 CFM, according to Mr. Hoffman. That's a HUGE valve for only 200 CFM. Seems like a 42 or 44 would be all that's needed. Lots of big T4 heads are using 48 and 50mm valves though. I doubt they're flowing 250+CFM. It seems like it's just easier to make good numbers with a huge valve.

I'm interested to know what Anthony will achieve.

Oh, Modok. I'm pretty sure they're a bit longer. CB states they're .250" longer than stock T1. T1 is 112mm, which is 4.409". T4 is 117mm, which is is 4.606". The Race Master should be 4.659" long. The actual difference between the Race Master and stock T4 is .053". I was a little off.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

Ray, about your B. statement: Wouldn't flow numbers tell you everything if they were plotted at each .050" or .100" increment? I understand that a max flow number wouldn't tell enough, but the way CB lists their numbers are at .100" increments for the intakes and exhausts.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

famous joke, which, strangely enough, seems to demonstrate the importance of the .75% banana ratio perfectly.

A guy walks into a bar with his pet monkey. He orders a drink, and while he's drinking, the monkey jumps all over the place, eating everything behind the bar. Then the monkey jumps on to the pool table and swallows a billiard ball.

The bartender screams at the guy, "Your monkey just ate the cue ball off my pool table -- whole!"

"Sorry," replied the guy. "He eats everything in sight, the little bastard. I'll pay for everything."

The man finishes his drink, pays and leaves.

Two weeks later, he's in the bar with his pet monkey, again. He orders a drink, and the monkey starts running around the bar. The monkey finds a maraschino cherry on the bar. He grabs it, sticks it up his ass, pulls it out and eats it.

The bartender is disgusted. "Did you see what your monkey did now?" he asks.

"Yeah," replies the guy. "He still eats everything in sight, but ever since he swallowed that cue ball, he measures stuff first."
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

Sorry about that. Last week I was eating a banana, talking on speeedtalk.....the dots connected, now every time flow ratio comes up I think of that joke now, so NOW YOU can suffer with me. Razz
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Ray, about your B. statement: Wouldn't flow numbers tell you everything if they were plotted at each .050" or .100" increment? I understand that a max flow number wouldn't tell enough, but the way CB lists their numbers are at .100" increments for the intakes and exhausts.

No.....flow numbers will not tell you everything. Not even close. If you lose the velocity or make too much turbulence at the wrong point of lift.....or do not have the cam timing and duration to use that flow.....in a CYCLIC fashion (remembering that flow benches run with the valve fixed.....not in motion)......your highest flow numbers can easily give horrible performance for your application.

Shopping simply by largest flow numbers with type 4 heads is not the way to go. That would be a mistake.

Having eons of experience with type 4 heads.....gives you virtually "0" equivalent experience on the type 4 head. Thats a fact. They are a totally different head totally different geometry....and totally different cross sections and ability for metal removal and survivability.
By design.....and not just casting quality......there are issues with the type 4 head design that prevent you from doing certain things.....and going to certain sizes.

If you have not done so.....you need to drop into the STF archives about 8-10 years back and do some serious reading. There are excellent reasons why Len and others will not go above 96mm..........without other serious expenditures.....which is the key point.

Also.....unless AA recently changed something significant......they state on their website that the 914 heads are made from 1.8L AMC castings.....and welded to change plug angle and machined.

I would trust the flow numbers Len lists.....as from some public conversations long ago ....they are most likely real world corrected to reflect exhaust, intake and cam.

Seriously.....type 4 heads are a different bag of tricks. I would heed the words of the guys who have the most experience, made the most progress and are able to offer the longest warranty......and that last bit is a statement in itself. Ray
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

https://aapistons.com/collections/bare-casting/pro...round-port

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
https://aapistons.com/collections/bare-casting/pro...round-port

Brian

Then they have some 'splaining to do.....because this is on the same site under "cylinder heads"

https://aapistons.com/collections/cylinder-heads-c...tage-1-p-p

And

https://aapistons.com/collections/cylinder-heads-c...44x36-pair

And

https://aapistons.com/collections/cylinder-heads-c...tage-2-p-p

If they supposedly have "bare 2.0 914" NEW castings.....why would they still be going through the labor of CONVERTING.....1.8L AMC castings?

Also....since Ham Inc and the type 4 store back when Raby owned it....were pretty much the first to be doing full on exact replication of the 2.0 914 head with the stripped AMC casting cores......and they still probably do the most out there......I would be interested to know why they dont list or speak of NEW complete 914 2.0 castings......or perhaps I missed it.

But hey.....if its true.....it is great to hear!. It would be even better if its cylinder size is undersized and not yet cut to ANY stock type 4 size.
Ray
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

I've held them in my hand. I have a bunch of pics in my phone. I'ma upload them.

That monkey joke is too funny btw!
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

These are the castings. Jorge from European installed the seats and guides.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

Very nice!......not that its any problem at all.....but pretty sure those are welded snd CNC finished from the mill work done above the center stud between the ports and the port work on either side of the spark plug boss.

Also it has the same minor clean up required in the exhaust ports as the 1.8 castings.

Nice all the same!

One detail with reference ro your earlier question about flow numbers and this does eelate somewhat to Len Hoffmans numbers......because there is no it can't relate.

While in some ways the type 4 head....basic.....was improved over the basic type 1 dual port head (more fins, more material in the rocker box floors, better combustion chamber shapes for the factory applications at hand).......it has disadvantages as well.

The main failing of type 4 heads......all of them.....is NOT that you cannot do enough port work and valve work to get high flow numbers.......the problem is that you cannot EXHAUST IT.
The primary limiting factor of the type 4 heads.....is the way the exhaust port is laid out...and the way the exhaust header mounts.

Even if money is no object on your exhaust system....what you can do is limited by those two exhaust studs. If you make your own exhaust stubs.....you can port a little.....but the "meat" is not there....even in the new AMC castings to relocate those exhaust studs.....and....you still have to deal with the push rod tubes.

I saw long ago....albeit on a 1.7L head.....the result of working like mad to get killer flow numbers.....and we did.....about 30% better than stock with a 42mm intake valve....only to have it barely run at all. Putting the head on the bench and flowing the exhaust valve and port showed that there was no way to exhaust that intake flow increase.

You cannot do but a very small amount of port work in any of the round port type 4 heads without breaking through.

This is why almost all exotic type 4 high hp engines use carefully planned cams.....with overlap to increase exhaust velocity.....and excellent header systems like A1 made.....tuned for where you need to run.

Intake airflow is important.....but is not the sole decider of power output by any means. If you end up with killer flow numbers.....and you cannot exhaust it, or if it creates poor velocity through part of its intake range.....and actually reduces fuel atomization (common).....you can actually put out LESS hp.....or have great HP and tq numbers with worthless throttle response.

As both Raby and Hoffman have both said many times......its about the total "combo".....and not one item. Ultimate output is certainly not entirely dependent upon maximum intake flow numbers.....unless this is 10,000 hp top fuel with a roots blower on top Wink .

Ray
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

Right, just like the monkey and the cue ball.

No AMC logo? probably not an AMC casting.
I mean, they could have ground it off ect....
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

There's this workaround that European does. You think it'll improve exhaust flow?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Right, just like the monkey and the cue ball.

No AMC logo? probably not an AMC casting.
I mean, they could have ground it off ect....

The AMC casting name is on the bottom outside.....sadly so you are looking right at it whenever you are underneath....probably doing things you wish you didn't have to do... Laughing

Yep.....the size of the "cue ball" can be huge!...... as you can actually get several of them in the monkeys mouth at one time. Its getting them out the other end that is the problem!
Ray
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

ARAO engineering used to weld the exhaust ports up on the bottom, and the fins on the ends, and then make a Type 1 exhaust port onto the Type 4 head, to solve the exhaust port problem.

This was in the mid 80s.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Race Master Components On T4 Casting Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
There's this workaround that European does. You think it'll improve exhaust flow?

Sure!......but by how much?.....hard to say. I would say that is a combination of delicate tuning and strengthening more than large scale increase. The studs are a weak spot as well.

But putting some weld in that area does allow the stud to have a little more depth beneath it to allow a little more port work behind it as well.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: