Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering lock help!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBob83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

Guys,

Tried searching the site but couldn't find the info I need. It's been a long day so if I've missed it that's prob why. Any help would be appreciated as I'm close to taking a box of matches and a jerry can of unleaded to the thing!

I've a 1972 bay, it's the crossover one...

I've just finished painting the steering tube and steering column and have put it back in and.... the bloody steering lock won't engage. Anyone got any ideas as to why? The set up I've got is in the subsection of the pic below

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also as an aside, the parts numbered 27 and 28, how deep into the column do they have to go or are they just there to ensure the rubber collar doesn't move too much?

TIA.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

I would ASSume you matched the lock pod with the slot in the tube?

you also need the plastic insulator in there as well, and that has to be lined up with the slot in the tube. depth....adjust until it's correct. that's one of those things I measure before disassembly

steering shaft may be 180* out and may require an additional turn of the wheel to lock.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BigBob83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

Yeah the lock pod is matched up with the tube slot.

Plastic insulator? Didn't see one of those when I took it apart, I'll go have another look at the steering shaft, It's not 180* out as the wheels are straight but something obviously isn't right with it....
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

#12 in the picture.

does the lock pop out of the lock assy when you remove the key? the lock pin will only pop out when you remove the key

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BigBob83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

So there's no plastic shim, there is however a metal section welded to the tube that was 90* out from where the steering pod was. Adjusted and steering lock works fine.

Thanks for the help, but it does beg the question why is my steering lock set so that the wheels point toward the kerb when it's on. Is that standard or has my steering box been tinkered with?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

BigBob83 wrote:

Thanks for the help, but it does beg the question why is my steering lock set so that the wheels point toward the kerb when it's on. Is that standard or has my steering box been tinkered with?

it's designed to lock that way so if you park on a hill, the bus will hit the curb and not roll down a hill at 200 miles an hour and smash into a bus full of nuns

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
BigBob83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

Thank f**k for that! Although the bus load of nuns getting totaled would be interesting g to see!
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

BigBob83 wrote:
Thank f**k for that! Although the bus load of nuns getting totaled would be interesting g to see!

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

they are just praying that '72 starts

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

Draggin up a thread to keep the topic alive..

My 72 has an issue where the steering wheel will lock while driving. So far it has only happened on a grated road in Death Valley, Going over a cattle grade in Tehachapi, and most recently coming out of a killer campsite in The Sequoias (rough dirt road w/ steep incline).

I don't really recall exactly how we get it unlocked. Stab,poke,push a screwdriver under the steering wheel I think.

I had to drill out original key switch when I originally purchased it to get it on the trailer. Maybe messed something up doing that?

Any idea what is going on? Going back up to Tehachapi in a couple of weeks and worried about the cattle gaurds again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

Jump down to: "Now, it is time to fit the new barrel." for the proper install.
http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/barrel/barrel.html

If you buggered up the steering lock or the nylon block, You may need to pop the ignition lock cylinder, remove the square plate and remove the steering lock.

Good luck
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

NoBudgetVWGarage wrote:
Going back up to Tehachapi in a couple of weeks and worried about the cattle gaurds again.

Shocked Holy SHIT!, I'd be more concerned about leaving the driveway right now with a condition like that, what if it decides to lock up while changing lanes on the freeway or something? Shocked Shocked Shocked

As Tcash says get that deadbolt out of the lock until you figure out what's going on.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

Three day weekend for me so I will be on it bright and early tomorrow.
I'll do as Tcash suggested.. hopefully I can see the problem when I pull the cover off.
Can it be done in the vehicle or will I need to pull it all apart?

Thanks for the assist guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

You can remove the Lock housing without removing the steering column.
Follow the directions in this thread.
http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/barrel/barrel.html

Good luck
Tcash
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

Found the culprit. Appears to have been damaged when I originally drilled out the ignition.
Thanks for the assist tcash

Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

How'd you end up fixing this?
Mine is damaged from the previous owner as well.

So it locks randomly even with the key in.
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

In the top picture I removed the piece on the right. That is the actual lock itself. Now I just have no steering lock at all, but I am okay with that Wink
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

Thank you. I hoped I didn't have to do that, but may be my only option until I find another steering lock go for sale.
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

I see the assembly come up once in a while. Usually over $100. I think Gabe (gabvwkey) has one for sale. Check his ads.
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering lock help! Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
Thank you. I hoped I didn't have to do that, but may be my only option until I find another steering lock go for sale.

I might be able to help you with one. Several months ago I bought one from a vw junkyard in Florida but it turned out to be for a '71. Then I found one in Canada and had it shipped directly to the shop but I was worried it would take a couple of weeks with customs so I found another one from a junkyard in Oakland.

I can check on Thursday to make sure its still in the bus. Pretty sure I saw it in a box when I picked up the bus.

If you want you can pm me an email address and I can forward the email that has pics attached.

Its still in the housing along with the wiring.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: