Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should the oil relief spring be so tight?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Should the oil relief spring be so tight? Reply with quote

In my quest to solve my overheating issue, I'm installing a pile of gauges. Good news: The CHT and tach work great! Bad news: The oil temp and oil pressure appear to not be working (temp pegs high, pressure stays at 0). But that's a problem for tomorrow.

For today: When I pulled the rear oil relief plug, the spring and piston dropped out, no problem. When I went to reinstall, though, the spring stuck out of the case almost an inch, and it was a stone cold beyotch to get the VDO sender plug to catch the thread. It did, eventually, and it tightened down to the case just fine.

But it strikes me that that is an awful lot of pressure/tension on that spring. Is it supposed to be that way? Or did I somehow catch the edge of the piston on the barrel, or something like that?

I only ran the engine for a few seconds to check the gauges, in case I screwed something up and it really is generating 0 psi oil pressure. (I don't have the T for the oil pressure sender yet, so I'm running without an oil pressure warning light at the moment.)

Oh, also - I promise I put 2.5 quarts of oil back in it! I might be dumb sometimes, but I try not to be stupid.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Should the oil relief spring be so tight? Reply with quote

It does take some effect to install the plug, but I would remove the plug, spring and plunger and use a pencil or something to determine the depth of the bore and then compare that to the assembled height of the plug, spring, and plunger. You could have some wrong parts in there. Are you sure you have the plunger in the right way?
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Should the oil relief spring be so tight? Reply with quote

The piston is grooved, and I put the groove toward the top - that's what it looked like in all the diagrams I saw, so I'm assuming that's correct.

I'll pull it in the next few days to check as you suggest. It turns out the gauge issue was because I had the negative and signal leads switched on both gauges. Once I fixed that, the pressure gauge pumped right up to 40 PSI at cold idle. Haven't had a chance to get it warmed up yet, but that seems decent to me.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Should the oil relief spring be so tight? Reply with quote

Hi. If you have a dual relief case the two relief pistons are not of the grooved style. This may be the reason for the slight difficulty on the install as you might have the aftermarket "oil pressure booster" kit.
Hope this helps, Bill.
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Should the oil relief spring be so tight? Reply with quote

Bill, would these be the correct things to replace with?

OE piston: https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/113-115-411.htm
OE spring: http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/111-115-421a.htm
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Should the oil relief spring be so tight? Reply with quote

Also, if I understand how the relief valve works, it seems like having a stronger spring would force more oil through the cooler. Given that I'm still chasing a hot oil problem, would it make sense to replace the spring with the softer OE one, or it is okay to keep it pushing more oil through the cooler?

I get replacing the piston, though. Just curious about the spring.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Should the oil relief spring be so tight? Reply with quote

deafen wrote:

Yes, that should be them. I have written down their dimensions here somewhere or I can get some from my garage and measure them and post here for you. Gotta give me a few hours.
Bill.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Should the oil relief spring be so tight? Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
deafen wrote:

Yes, that should be them. I have written down their dimensions here somewhere or I can get some from my garage and measure them and post here for you. Gotta give me a few hours.
Bill.

Ok, I measured the two springs and pistons for the dual relief case:
The piston length for both holes is 18mm long.
The spring lengths are 63mm and 32mm.

For what it's worth, the "booster" piston and spring is:
Piston length is 25mm.
Spring length is 80mm.

Why not remove the forward piston and spring and verify the components their also? That way you can revert back to the oem components during your ongoing diagnostics.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: