Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

This may be answered before...but I can't find it.

How you guys go when fittting a stock muffler on a stroked engine?

Do you bend the pipes that go to the heads to fit or better re-do welds?

In my case its a stock 36hp muffler to be fitted to an okrasa engine (spacing increases by half an inch).
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

to answer myself..

After trying to bend pipes with no satisfactory results the easier way is to redo welds

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

Half an inch wider? Shocked What crank and rods do you use?
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

tobiasax wrote:

rather ask Joe Ruiz, he did the build

Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

perello wrote:
tobiasax wrote:

rather ask Joe Ruiz, he did the build

In all my years (40+) building these little engines, I have never used any amount of barrel spacers that equaled 1/2" combined. Without looking at the engine, the problem is the muffler pipes. I have purchased new mufflers with the exhaust flange in the wrong location. Another problem is if the muffler has had a rough "shelf life" and maybe dropped on its end, the pipe(s) would be bent inward thus decreasing the distance between the 2 & 4 exhaust flanges. What I have done to fit new Abarth mufflers to stroked Okrasa engines is fit/start the #2 pipe first and then bend the #4 pipe outward and try to get the flange started onto the exhaust studs. I apply heat to the #4 exhaust pipe until it "softens" and bends into position as the nuts are drawn down until the flange square is with the head. If you look closely at the #4 exhaust pipe below, you can see where the paint has burned off as I heated it when pre-fitting before ceramic coat.
BTW: Did I actually build this engine or is someone passing off an engine that looks like mine in order to raise the price?
This has happened many times before! Shame on you What's the history/origin of this engine above?

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Do you remember shipping a box with an engine to Spain?

You sent it to me Smile

Yes until now my bus its not restored to a point I can dedicate time to fit the engine...

Barrels on that engine do have a bottom spacer, but of course muffler may not have a standar fitting width...my question was only on the best method to make it fit (with no answers)
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

Just a question, if you installed at stroker crank, Okrasa dual port heads/bigger valves, and dual carbs, why are you choking it with the stock exhaust?

Vintage Speed's 36hp performance exhausts have adjustable flanges to work with stroker engines, plus have the stock single or dual tips. They also sell an Abarth replica that looks great (what I have).

It looks like you fixed your issue though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Just a question, if you installed at stroker crank, Okrasa dual port heads/bigger valves, and dual carbs, why are you choking it with the stock exhaust?

Vintage Speed's 36hp performance exhausts have adjustable flanges to work with stroker engines, plus have the stock single or dual tips. They also sell an Abarth replica that looks great (what I have).

It looks like you fixed your issue though...

If you use a VW original exhaust with free flowing end pipes you have a very good solution. The Original VW exhaust has no restrictions inside plus it has equal length pipes. In the "souping the VW engine" book from 1959 the stock muffler with better end pipes is the recommended solution.

As far as I know the Vintage Speed exhaust does not feature equal length pipes.

I run a NOS 30/36 hp system with Theo Decker end pipes on my 1295cc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_joJzUv3V9s

(please note that "stock" aftermarket systems typically have internal restrictions and lack equal length pipes.)
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Jwhy are you choking it with the stock exhaust?

the easy answer: I had one german original and I like it Smile

others would argue why use this engine on a bus with RGB transmission, the answer would be the same Smile
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

That's a good answer! If you are ever in the market for a new one, I'd recommend a vintage speed muffler, very high quality
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

first start

Link

Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

Nice Perello, I've been looking into using the same engine setup for my split (with small nut RGBs).
I'm very interested in the general performance of the setup in a RGB splitbus. Please keep us updated Laughing
exotic plants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fit a stock muffler on a stroked engine Reply with quote

perello wrote:
first start

Link

Looks very nice.
Rear driver side fender.
Cash waiting.
------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: