Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 Exhaust System on a 2.1 ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAPI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: 1.9 Exhaust System on a 2.1 ? Reply with quote

Hello - the 1.9 to 2.1 swap in our 84 Westy is a VERY LONG story. Here's the problem - I just realized I cannot remove the oil filter- the exhaust manifold prevents it from unscrewing fully. Could the exhaust system from the 1.9L engine have been installed on the 2.1? Is this even possible? In comparing the two systems side by side with images from www.partsplaceinc.com, I'm really beginning to believe that's the case.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 Exhaust System on a 2.1 ? Reply with quote

boo. could be. i use a shorter oil filter on my van (1.9) because i have an oil cooler. a saab 900 filter will do the job.

it may be easier to cut your current oil filter with a saw than remove the exhaust. just lop the top off.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 Exhaust System on a 2.1 ? Reply with quote

I have a 1.9 exhaust on a 2.1 engine Arrow never had a problem with a mann filter being to long
what filter are you using Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 Exhaust System on a 2.1 ? Reply with quote

PAPI wrote:
Could the exhaust system from the 1.9L engine have been installed on the 2.1? Is this even possible?

Perfectly possible, and if your 2.1 is using the OWHX (meaning you changed to the 2.1 cooling system as well) then that's what you got. As stated, the filter for any year Saab 900 or 9000 4-cyl. is a shorter replacement with the right specs. The Mann part number is W712/80.

Or change to a better exhaust system, when you can afford to.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PAPI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 Exhaust System on a 2.1 ? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies- further examination seems to confirm my suspicions. I'll verify tonight, but I believe that it has the Mann W712/80 installed. I can barely slide my fingers between the top of the filter and the header pipe.
PAPI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 Exhaust System on a 2.1 ? Reply with quote

SO - I was right about the exhaust, but wrong about the filter. What's on there is a MAHLE OC25 with a height of 92 mm (3 5/8 in.). The MANN W712/80 is 80mm (3 5/32 in.) so, yeah almost a half inch shorter (thanks, tencentlife)! I'll just have to mangle the MAHLE to get it off. A new exhaust just isn't in the cards right now, so fingers crossed!
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 Exhaust System on a 2.1 ? Reply with quote

edit: deleted. redundant.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: