Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Had a "medical" scare today
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

So today I woke up at 4am to drive from Oregon to California. Had one hash brown and a rockstar. That's it. 2pm rolls around and we're out messing around in the Jeep. I get out to scout a line and I feel funny. Like I'm buzzed after a few beers. My wife gets out and asks if I'm ok. All of a sudden I start slurring my words. I couldn't form complete sentences. I felt full on drunk. I legit couldn't pronounce words. In my head I was freaking out. My wife realizing I haven't eaten all day gives me a bag of cookies from my nephew. 7-10 mins go by and I back to normal feeling great. So needless to say I'm going to make a doctors appointment to go get some answers? Blood sugar? Early diabetes? I'm 36 years old. I'm in 6'3" and 205 pounds so I'm not fat. I wouldn't say I eat healthy, but I'm not horrible. I maybe get fast food 2-3 times a month. My biggest thing is energy drinks. I have probably 4-6 a week.

All I know is that shit was scary. If my wife wasn't there I'd have probably legit passed out. Thank god I wasn't driving on the freeway when it happened either.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

I'm no medical professional, but I initially thought you were describing a stroke. Or extremely low blood pressure coming from an anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis I have experienced and I now carry Epi Pens when away from home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

I'm no medical professional either. All I know is I went about 10 hours with no food or drinks combined with driving for those 10 in a vehicle with no ac. Never got above 80* though. Then once I exited the vehicle I started feeling funny and couldn't form words. I felt fine in the vehicle prior. Ate a small bag of cookies and literally less than 15 mins later I was normal. Neither my wife nor my 2 year old nephew who were in the same vehicle were affected.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

Quit drinking that shit, those energy drinks will really screw with your system.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

Agree on the energy drinks(No Bueno) But SUPER glad you made it out alive, Perfect that the Wife was by your side. And Man you have to eat, even if it's grazing on Raisins or nuts. Hope you don't experience that again.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

Last Friday I came in from working hard outdoors most of the day and "bonked" for the first time in years- and what scared me was the lack of equilibrium. I also described it to my wife as feeling really drunk. We guessed lack of hydration. Since then I really haven't felt right- and have started taking my BP pills (i'm old) again- as I've felt spikes in the pressure since- the likes of which I haven't felt since last summer. Next stop for me is a follow up with the Doc. I also started drinking a gallon of water every day since last week- and it seems to help. Forever I've felt immune to the heat and need for water. Not anymore.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Quit drinking that shit, those energy drinks will really screw with your system.

So he was low on energy drinks? Laughing

I am a health professional. But I don't generally worry until you drop dead.

So no shortness of breath? no chest pain? Just got dizzy?

WEll, you have no food or drink in your stomach and it was HOT outside - yea that will do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

try to eat a balanced diet.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

You're on track - eliminate the things that can contribute to the problem (Rockstar), do the things you can do to help correct the situation (eat a good breakfast/stay hydrated/sleep/eat right/etc.) and get checked out by your doctor to help eliminate hidden causes (i.e. lab work, physical, etc.).

You may find an answer and you may not. If it continues to happen, go back and see your doctor, the ER or whatever it takes.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

NLA

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

So he was low on energy drinks? Laughing

I am a health professional. But I don't generally worry until you drop dead.

So no shortness of breath? no chest pain? Just got dizzy?

WEll, you have no food or drink in your stomach and it was HOT outside - yea that will do it.

So, as a health professional, you don't see a problem with the sugar, caffeine & other additives that are in all these energy drinks? Let me guess, you're one of those that tell patients to quit smoking right after frantically hotboxing one just outside the emergency exit. (That always cracks me up.) Laughing

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
So today I woke up at 4am to drive from Oregon to California. Had one hash brown and a rockstar. That's it. 2pm rolls around and we're out messing around in the Jeep. I get out to scout a line and I feel funny. Like I'm buzzed after a few beers. My wife gets out and asks if I'm ok. All of a sudden I start slurring my words. I couldn't form complete sentences. I felt full on drunk. I legit couldn't pronounce words. In my head I was freaking out. My wife realizing I haven't eaten all day gives me a bag of cookies from my nephew. 7-10 mins go by and I back to normal feeling great. So needless to say I'm going to make a doctors appointment to go get some answers? Blood sugar? Early diabetes? I'm 36 years old. I'm in 6'3" and 205 pounds so I'm not fat. I wouldn't say I eat healthy, but I'm not horrible. I maybe get fast food 2-3 times a month. My biggest thing is energy drinks. I have probably 4-6 a week.

All I know is that shit was scary. If my wife wasn't there I'd have probably legit passed out. Thank god I wasn't driving on the freeway when it happened either.

flags highlighted in red.
do what you want, but damn, hash brown and an energy drink at 4am before a long drive, then nothing else for many hours. really? sounds kinda horrible to me, and you wonder why this happened? wtf!
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
So today I woke up at 4am to drive from Oregon to California. Had one hash brown and a rockstar.

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
I wouldn't say I eat healthy, but I'm not horrible.

those 2 sentence next to each other made me laught, sorry for your misfortune...
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

Yeah, glad your ok and that it didn't happen on the freeway. While I don't travel much on the freeways nowadays, when I did I had a "bug-out" bag with survival style non perishable foods to keep my blood sugar up. I learned too many times when my mortar section would be forgotten out in the field with no chow enroute.
I agree, get the med appointment and see if something is a brewing inside of you that might require a more dedicated food choice's.
Good luck, Bill.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
ditto, along with them running your system instead of food and SUGAR.prpbably sugar&h20 issue along with sitting then getting up. as far as the 6'3 and 205....you are obeast Shocked well there probably gonna put that in your reckords any way. a annorexic pa told me that aboput 15 years ago when I was almost totaly muscle and weighed about the same( running a machine shop carrying v8 cast iron engine blocks&heads around will do that to you and no room for fat)(it will also kill many of your disc in your back) I told her to strip nakid and I would do the same and we would cretieke each others body.....I think she may of got the hint. she has since been in at least 3 other professions that I know of. as for diabetic..I was, I aint no more, but I stay on a good diet and stay away from sugar drinks& shit.I have never tasted a "energy drink" I think you were just crashing. remember when you are using those drinks for energy and feel good you are also using up other mass in your body....and the main thing is your internal organs that are not getting any nourishment but instead they are being eaten away instead of the food your not eating. dont become a pig just eat a good small diet and always mix protein with all sugars you consume. I dont know how long I was diabetic but it took about 3-4 years to get to not being diabetic.(well that's when they tested me again and said I was no longer. I could not tolerate the diabetic meds and ...I am kinda attached to my feet. good luck and eat more chicken like the good cows say.( I dont eat much red meat at all, but I did make a pile of ribs this weekend..pork the other red meat Shocked )
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

TD -

LIke I said...it does not become my problem until people drop dead in front of me. Then I may have to expend some professional energy. I don't mind.

What people put into their bodies is not my concern. That is entirely up to the person. I am not going to judge people on what they do to themselves. In the healthcare professions, we do NOT judge. WE treat -that is it!

If you want someone to blow smoke up your ass, we have chaplains for that.

I have seen enough to get the idea that people really in general do not care. Some do. I see patients young and old.

A young budding criminal steals a bike and runs away from the cops. He crashes, kills several bystanders. He comes to the hospital w/ broken or missing limbs. He is shackled to the bed railings. I don't pass judgment. I treat him like everyone else.

If he is a close personal friend, maybe say something. If someone smokes up a chimney and have lung cancer and still keeps smoking, we say...have you thought of quitting smoking? Or the doctor will say...you keep this up and you will die. But that is all you are allowed to do.

If you are bleeding out your ass and want to leave the ER against medical advice, that is on YOU! There is the door. It frees us up to treat more willing people.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

So Cali......did you get into the doctor for a check?
Or do you feel fine now and decide to just blow it off?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
So Cali......did you get into the doctor for a check?
Or do you feel fine now and decide to just blow it off?

He hasn't been on since he posted this Shocked I hope all is well.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
TD -

LIke I said...it does not become my problem until people drop dead in front of me. Then I may have to expend some professional energy. I don't mind.

What people put into their bodies is not my concern. That is entirely up to the person. I am not going to judge people on what they do to themselves. In the healthcare professions, we do NOT judge. WE treat -that is it!

If you want someone to blow smoke up your ass, we have chaplains for that.

I have seen enough to get the idea that people really in general do not care. Some do. I see patients young and old.

A young budding criminal steals a bike and runs away from the cops. He crashes, kills several bystanders. He comes to the hospital w/ broken or missing limbs. He is shackled to the bed railings. I don't pass judgment. I treat him like everyone else.

If he is a close personal friend, maybe say something. If someone smokes up a chimney and have lung cancer and still keeps smoking, we say...have you thought of quitting smoking? Or the doctor will say...you keep this up and you will die. But that is all you are allowed to do.

If you are bleeding out your ass and want to leave the ER against medical advice, that is on YOU! There is the door. It frees us up to treat more willing people.

I get it that you see so many sick, wounded, & dying individuals that they're just another piece of meat on a trolley when they come to you much like that prized automobile is just another car when it comes to me. That doesn't change the fact that you, as a "healthcare professional" are discounting the known negative effects that these "energy drinks" are having on people, especially when that's all that they're eating/drinking.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Had a "medical" scare today Reply with quote

" we treat that is it" thats so funny!!!! well most Ive seen treet them selves to loads of $$$$ and dont give a effuck about the person...or treeting them correctly..or the condition, just thier bank account/insurance. although I did get some good attn in the millatery hospitals...a few times.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: