Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split door panels
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Split door panels Reply with quote

Hi, came across some nice original split door panels. Does anyone know if they can be made to work in an early 60s Beetle? I'm not looking for an exact fit. Close is perfectly fine.

Thank you and please go easy on me!
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

The ones if found are a little ratty so I'm worried about making new holes for door handle and window regulator.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

No, they do not fit. The door handle is in a different location. You would be better off to buy some new material and make door panels to fit your doors that look split..

But you've been through many of the issues with trying to make your car look like a split, before.
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

Wasn't trying to make it look like a split this time actually. Just found a good deal on a complete set. Are the completely different sizes or something? As I said, I don't mind making new holes for door handle. No problem.
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!!!
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

Guess I can curse autocorrect! I apologize for my first post. It read that I was worried about making new holes for the regulator and door handle. I meant that "I'm not" worried about it. Sorry!!!!
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

Another thing that came into my mind. Do you know if the clips on the split door panels will line up with my doors? If not I can fab something I'm sure. The back one's I'm not expecting so much.

Heck, my current rear panels aren't really clipped in and they look just fine. The seat holds them in place. The flop around a little bit, but it's not that noticable.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

Those panels are difficult to find and there are people who actually need them for actual real cars. If you wanna hang them on the wall, that's cool. But, if you're gonna destroy them by putting them on the wrong car and cutting holes in the process please don't. Cutting them up and damaging them is quite rude and disrespectful to what these old parts are.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for split window cars, but ruining original parts to mount them is not a positive thing IMO.
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

I understand your point of view and respect it. However, I've already bought the panels. I've been looking for a long time and am just as entitled to them as any other jack in the woods.

Have years of thought into it and finally found me a decent pair I can afford. I don't care about them not matching my car or being period correct. This is probably the last thing I can ever afford for my car from an original split. I can never in a million years own a real one nor would I want the burden of owning such a rare car TBH.

I'm not going to be hacking or butchering anything up here. These panels are nice and solid but are extremely stained, faded, and even have a good size tear on the passenger side going down the entire panel. But they will make me happy which is what matters. All I plan to do is make one tiny hole into the panel for my door handle. I'm sure it'll hardly be noticeable along with all the other stain and rot that is going on.

I already knew I'd be stepping on hot coals here in the split forum. Yikes! Guess I'd better haul ass on outta here while I still can. Wink

As I said, I've great respect for these old cars and I'd always take old worn original parts over anything new and shiny. I know it's selfish of me but I only live once and I wasn't about to let them slip by.
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

Isn't a pre 1955 door panel much smaller is size compared to a 1956 and later? I'm pretty sure they are, so for this reason, they won't work at all.
1964 Chop Top
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

Yes, they aren't even close to fitting, will be off by inches. Are you trolling us type1vwjapan?
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

I already know this is a mistake checking back in. But here goes nothing.

No, Mr OGPaint, I wasn't meaning to troll anyone here. Was just explaining my situation on a public forum which I thought I was entitled to without being a troll. Was only meaning to ask for some advice and figure out how to make these fit.

Granted I know your all's background and need to defend these endangered cars and parts so I still understand that. You've got some good points but I'll have to diagree that what I'm doing is "rude" and "disrespectful." I'm wanting to take what 98% of the rest of the world would consider as garbage and use them for my car for my everyday use.

I'm being called a troll because what I want to do isn't "purist" and considered sacrilege to many. I understand that. But what can I do here? Yeah, I now let them go to someone who has a real split. This all reminds me of the whole letting someone go because you love them and want better for them. Well, just this once I'd like to only think of myself here.

Just because I have a passion for splits but don't own one and am therefore a reject becasue I want to add a few split personal touches to my car.

I'm still considering my options here and would like to post back here if I can without being called a troll.

That's too bad about them being too small too. All I initially heard was that the door handle wouldn't line up. I love these panels so much that I'd even be willing to have gaps in my door panel just to have these bad boys in my car. I know you all are probably puking blood thinking about these panels in a car 10+ years newer than what they were intended for. Sorry!
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

So is the fact that split beetles have a "ribbed" door (the area above the door panel) is why the panels are smaller? I think I see that now. So if I tried to install these on my car they'd be off a few inches on the top/bottom and leave part of the area behind the door panel exposed. Hmmm....I might be able to live with that.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

I guess I just don't quite get your obsession with back dating your late model beetle with split parts...like the tail lights you were working on previously.

with the door panels, why not sell those panels to someone who has a split, and then use the money to buy brand new door cards and new split fabric material to make door panels that are the correct size, and have the correct handle locations? It will look 1000x better than having a panel that does not line up and has extra holes in it...with stains and rips to boot.

I suppose they then would not be 'og' but neither is your car.

you should order enough fabric to recover your seats as well (not a joke)
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

Guess I'd better update myself here. I have an Australian 1967 Beetle now. It is about the specs of a US '63/'64. It has the smaller windows. I don't have the Mexican Bug anymore.

I guess a small window 60s beetle is still considered a late model to you split guys. Fair enough. Very Happy

Yes, I really want to recover my entire interior but that is way too costly. Just thought I'd try a light mod with these OG panels I came across.

Thanks again for at least giving me a chance.
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

If you already bought them why not just hold them up to your doors to see if they would fit?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

type1vwjapan wrote:
Guess I'd better update myself here. I have an Australian 1967 Beetle now. It is about the specs of a US '63/'64. It has the smaller windows. I don't have the Mexican Bug anymore.

I guess a small window 60s beetle is still considered a late model to you split guys. Fair enough. Very Happy

Yes, I really want to recover my entire interior but that is way too costly. Just thought I'd try a light mod with these OG panels I came across.

Thanks again for at least giving me a chance.

Yes, an Aussie 67 is very late model. That being said it is a huge improvement from a Mexican bug.

'Too costly' is relative. Save more than normal, or cut down on frivelous spending elsewhere. With the right priorities, you can afford anything you want for your 67.

But...I don't understand the lack of appreciation for your bug as-is. It's a cool model and should be kept as such. Obsessing over pictures online of cool split windows will never be fulfilling until you have a real one. Just build the 67 Aussie spec and love it as such. backdating is boooooo
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

I don't have them in my posession right now. So the sale is not officially a done deal yet. I can already hear the applause from all you early bug split guys. Laughing

I do appreciate my car for the way it is but I still want to give it some personal touches no matter how distasteful it is seen from a "purist" perspective. Nothing I'm doing can't be undone to my car. I don't plan to touch or cut one body panel on my car. NOT ONE. Just snapping some door cards on basically. I plan on keeping the ones I've got too. They're nice and new but that's not what I'm after.

And no, I'm not necessarily a "patina" guy. But I do prefer old original cars much more than a perfectly restored frame off one. I'm not trying to make my car look older than what it really is. I just love OG like we all do.

And, if the door panels don't work out like I intended then I guess I'll have a nice little wall ornament. Laughing
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

Hi, You won't be able to "snap on" pre '55 door cards to your car at all without drilling a new set of holes all around the door to locate the clips. I haven't studied a later door though so this might not even be possible. Assuming it is what you will then see is a gap all around of just under an inch showing all the original fixing holes!

Not only would it look incredibly naff, but you simply can't mount them without drilling, so if you really mean you don't wish to cut any panels, it's a non starter.

Better to replicate the split door card style and material on correctly sized later panels...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type1vwjapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Split door panels Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the feedback. I shouldn't have used the word "snapped" on. I'm sorry.

I'll see what I can't do with the original setup of the panels and my holes on my door. If the clips don't work then I've got all the time in the world to get them on. The rear ones will basically just slide in and if I'm lucky a clip or two might line up. If not then that's fine too. I'll address that too.

Woah, woah. Who said anything about drilling into anything? If anyone even tried that on me car or OG panels then I'd make it a point to kick their ass.

I've got a couple ideas brewing. Yeah, big deal. I don't mind the holes showing some. Small price to pay for some authentic split panels.

And I can assure you I'm not hacking into anything here! I'll make it look the best I can which I'm sure many of you are thinking OMG! Shocked

Later!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: