Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 stock muffler modification?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

I really don't see a problem. I see a mechanic who wants a nice flowing exhaust system. We on thesamba have helped and now it's your decision what to buy. No problem here, just a decision to be made.

Maybe a PM to the OP of the 7 year old thread would produce good results. Maybe he's still running the system and loves it.
’65 Deluxe Build
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

Still running and loving it, i had a vintage speed as well but these are too loud and too restrictive!
I started with a new Ernst muffler and found the 2 NOS pipes on a swapmeet.
I would go for Ernst or Leistriz as Dansk is not really a quality muffler, feel the weight between them Shocked
It even fits with a towbar, maybe i can post a sound video next week.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

Awesome!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I really don't see a problem. I see a mechanic who wants a nice flowing exhaust system. We on thesamba have helped and now it's your decision what to buy. No problem here, just a decision to be made.

Maybe a PM to the OP of the 7 year old thread would produce good results. Maybe he's still running the system and loves it.

I bought this one last night from the samba classifieds

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Supposed to be NOS barn find. Has surface rust so I may either have it blasted and powder coated, or I may blast it and paint it myself. Not sure if powder coating would be smart or not.

I've also sent an email to a guy selling a pair of type 3 dampers. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I'll try and remember to come back here to finish this off once I have everything completed by the end of summer.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

I would weld the diamond flanges on the heater boxes. you may need to clearance the mustache bar a bit. it is 100% worth the effort in my opinion. every aircooled I do gets this done

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I would weld the diamond flanges on the heater boxes. you may need to clearance the mustache bar a bit. it is 100% worth the effort in my opinion. every aircooled I do gets this done

Don, can you explain this to me? What diamond flanges? Clearance the bar where and why?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
C'mon man, those donuts are the best engineering idea VW ever came up with..... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

instead of using that foolish donut arrangement you weld flanges that accept the diamond ex. gaskets at the heads down on the heat exchangers

you may have to trim the seam on the moustache bar for clearance. I may have a pic somewhere....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

I've done the same to mine in the past, but since using the wire mesh style clamps, they don't leak like the asbestos units used to. Maybe I'm just lucky. I get mine from Scat.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

gary, like this

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-6019

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
richparker wrote:

I bought this one last night from the samba classifieds

Supposed to be NOS barn find. Has surface rust so I may either have it blasted and powder coated, or I may blast it and paint it myself. Not sure if powder coating would be smart or not.

I've also sent an email to a guy selling a pair of type 3 dampers. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I'll try and remember to come back here to finish this off once I have everything completed by the end of summer.

Did you cross reference the part numbers? I feel like that is for earlier 1200 engines. Won't be wide enough for you. The OEM VW unit for the 13/15/1600 had VW stamps in the middle of the muffler, not on the end, and didn't have that side profile. That and NOS mufflers for the 1300+ cases I feel like dried up a loooong time ago and go for a pretty penny now, Unless you want dual heat risers, those are still out there. Hopefully I am wrong.

Also: powdercoating will burn off quickly. sandblasting and priming/painting with VHT or similar and curing OFF THE CAR in an oven per manufacurer's instructions is the best way to go outside of professional ceramic coating. IMO of course....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

I'm familiar with flanged heater boxes having installed an A1 Sidewinder into a 1968 bus once and I agree that they are much better. I just don't have a way to mock up and weld everything. I suppose I could have the muffler shop do it but not sure about welding the flanges onto the stock muffler side or if it's worth all the trouble. If I was buying a system and had a choice I would go with flanges instead of donuts.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

Did you cross reference the part numbers?

I tried but didn't get anywhere. Here's a link to the ad

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2044098

Nos VW "Barn Find" muffler 1500 1600 Price: $200
Original Oval ( Rare) 1300...1500...1600...NOS muffler. ....some surface rust.....twice... as heavy as aftermarket muffers....very nice

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

go to the home page and search NOS MUFFLER under the classified box on the LH side. You will see several other muffers for bug and bus identical to that one that are listed as 40hp. One of them is wrong. Or I am wrong. Won't know till you go to fit it but I'd rather get one known to fit the 13/15/1600. For the same price you can get an Ernst or Leistritz that we know will fit.
Try Bug City, he has them.

EDIT: here's a thread where a Guy pulled a muffler off a VW powered tractor with that part number on it. looks awfully close and the engine is...yep, a 1200 single port 40hp.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103410

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
go to the home page and search NOS MUFFLER under the classified box on the LH side. You will see several other muffers for bug and bus identical to that one that are listed as 40hp. One of them is wrong. Or I am wrong. Won't know till you go to fit it but I'd rather get one known to fit the 13/15/1600. For the same price you can get an Ernst or Leistritz that we know will fit.
Try Bug City, he has them.

EDIT: here's a thread where a Guy pulled a muffler off a VW powered tractor with that part number on it. looks awfully close and the engine is...yep, a 1200 single port 40hp.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103410

The seller says he is 100% certain it's a 1600. I didn't find what you were talking about in my search. Can you send links?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

The muffler looks correct to me. What I also like is the heat riser pipe is on the driver's side of the muffler giving much more room for an insulated stove pipe. Most of the "new" mufflers (Dansk) have the heat riser on the passenger side of the muffler. The insulated stove pipes don't fit!

For the rarity of the muffler and with you living near the ocean, I'd suggest you get it ceramic coated Gary. Not cheap but it will protect the muffler for a long time.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1324100

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1900858

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2008863

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1846831

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1851559

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1916400

Some do not have the fresh air tins on them for stale air early systems. those tins were merely added to the existing design at the time methinks. The exhaust remained the same.
I also added a link to a thread where a guy pulled that exact muffler from a VW powered tractor he bought in my other post. Same part number and stampings. Engine was a 1200.
Keep in mind: JUST SAYIN'

asiab3 wrote:

ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
The muffler looks correct to me. What I also like is the heat riser pipe is on the driver's side of the muffler giving much more room for an insulated stove pipe. Most of the "new" mufflers (Dansk) have the heat riser on the passenger side of the muffler. The insulated stove pipes don't fit!

For the rarity of the muffler and with you living near the ocean, I'd suggest you get it ceramic coated Gary. Not cheap but it will protect the muffler for a long time.

Two different stove pipes were produced to address this. There is a tech bulletin I don't have time to dig up about it. Discussed many times in the 68+ Beetle forums.

asiab3 wrote:

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

I'm thinking about doing that depending on where and who does that work.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 stock muffler modification? Reply with quote

Well thanks for the links but I still don't see a smoking gun. None of them showed the same part number except the tractor one and granted it had a 1200 engine, the thing was a Frankenstein monster of cobbled together parts so I'm still not convinced. The seller is measuring and will confirm before shipping. Might be Tuesday before I know but I'm not in any hurry for it right now. I appreciate your help.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: