Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

I may only be 29, but I feel entitled to a bit of a rant.

So, I recently finished a partial restoration (thread here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=20) of my 1968 VW Bus and took him out on the maiden voyage with my fiancé for a long weekend at a music festival. The bus performed amazingly and the pride I had in how well it all worked was immeasurable. It was a crazy 3 months, but a great experience.

There were a few other cool VW's around and all were very friendly and fun to chat with. One comment, however, really stuck in my gizzard: "Cool bus! Did you buy it from the Bus Lab?"

I can't help but feel that this mentality (common in my generation and younger) is what has resulted in the sky rocketing prices and relative 'rarity' of the VWs that we love. I can't fault the shops, but when no one does the work themselves and just purchases these "already done" vehicles for ever-climbing prices, it really shoulders out those who want to buy an affordable vehicle they can work on and slowly get to the point they would like.

The fact that this person's first instinct was that I couldn't have possibly done the work myself (because I am a Silicon Valley, millennial, tech worker I guess? is such a bummer!

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-32802.png]Click to view image[/URL]
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

Wow, nothing like needing a safe space to get away from your "trigger words".

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

Time to get out the big boy pants Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

You're not entitled to sh.. Get the f... over yourself, quit trying to be offended at any & everything & take it as a compliment that someone thought that everything that you did to your bus was professionally done. Then show them what it was like when you got & the steps you took to get it there.

Cavilry6 wrote:
but when no one does the work themselves

And FWIW, stroking a check to have someone do all the rust repair & body work ain't exactly doing it all yourself.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

This sounds like someone trying to strike up a conversation with whatever came to mind first.

I'm going to reverse it and say if they think a shop did it, that is a testament to your work.

Perfect time to to say "No, I did it myself" and beam with pride.

Think positive. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
This sounds like someone trying to strike up a conversation with whatever came to mind first.

I'm going to reverse it and say if they think a shop did it, that is a testament to your work.

Perfect time to to say "No, I did it myself" and beam with pride.

Think positive. Smile

X2.

While I bemoan the assumption they made, it's probably typically true, and therefore not a slam on you. Rather then be offended, recognize the world has changed from the old days when the assumption was to do it yourself. Sadly, today it's the exception.

And as posted, take pride that your work looked professional to an observer.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

The title of this thread is "Short old-man rant.......", so my question is-------what you got against short old men? Crying or Very sad
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
The title of this thread is "Short old-man rant.......", so my question is-------what you got against short old men? Crying or Very sad

X2 on that. Being that I kind of fit that description Confused
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

olspeed wrote:
iowegian wrote:

X2 on that. Being that I kind of fit that description Confused

Link

Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

Most ranting comes from the younger generation now. Older folks are now raving. It's a crazy mixed up world.

I get the op's point tho - or one of them - it's a quick fix, throw away society and it's not too often folks put the time into bringing scrap back to shine. But I suppose there's other equally important things replacing those hands on skills, and that patience. Like facebook, twitter, like, like ,like - oh look at my likes. Jayzus. Laughing

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

Congrats on being able to do your own bus. I am an old guy, and have redone a few old VW's, including a 71 Westy. However, at 65 years old, it takes a lot more will and effort than I have, in other words, I don't have the energy to do another restoration. However, having been blessed with an awesome career, and facing retirement next year, I have the ability to pay a little more for the right vehicle. I am amazed at where prices have gone with our cars, but guys like you need to keep on learning and doing them. If/when you go to sell your bus, I did to a fellow in the UK for big money, you can look forward to reaping the rewards of your labor. At that point if financially you get a tad ahead of the game, you have the means, and experience to do the next one better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

I knew I was getting old when the hangovers started happening.

It's all good man, these cars are getting more and more rare. Old farts just like to have a chance to reminisce. Just own up and enjoy your Bay Pride Very Happy

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

I've experienced far worse ways to start a conversation about my bus, as Everett says take it as a complement, at least they didn't ask you if you were a hippy or when you were going to repaint it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Skruffy2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

Jesus, are they going to have to start having "safe rooms" for snowflakes who can't handle a friendly conversation starter, with puppies, and play doh, and a woobie. Everybody who enters will get a trophy!!!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

I'd be happy as hell if some jemoke thought a professional shop did the work on a vehicle I did myself.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

Cavilry6 wrote:
I can't help but feel that this mentality (common in my generation and younger)

The fact that this person's first instinct was that I couldn't have possibly done the work myself (because I am a Silicon Valley, millennial, tech worker I guess? is such a bummer!

Am I the only one picking up the irony of being atypical of the generation in one respect, but completely being typical in other respects?

Irony is ironic.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

Skruffy2 wrote:
Jesus, are they going to have to start having "safe rooms" for snowflakes who can't handle a friendly conversation starter, with puppies, and play doh, and a woobie. Everybody who enters will get a trophy!!!

Sig worthy right there.....
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

Cavilry6 wrote:
I may only be 29, but I feel entitled to a bit of a rant.

So, I recently finished a partial restoration (thread here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=20) of my 1968 VW Bus and took him out on the maiden voyage with my fiancé for a long weekend at a music festival. The bus performed amazingly and the pride I had in how well it all worked was immeasurable. It was a crazy 3 months, but a great experience.

There were a few other cool VW's around and all were very friendly and fun to chat with. One comment, however, really stuck in my gizzard: "Cool bus! Did you buy it from the Bus Lab?"

I can't help but feel that this mentality (common in my generation and younger) is what has resulted in the sky rocketing prices and relative 'rarity' of the VWs that we love. I can't fault the shops, but when no one does the work themselves and just purchases these "already done" vehicles for ever-climbing prices, it really shoulders out those who want to buy an affordable vehicle they can work on and slowly get to the point they would like.

That's right forget what these folks say here. You go girl, own it Very Happy
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

I guess this would have been a better understood rant with the context of the individual with whom I spoke. He was nice enough, but other "conversation starters" were:

"Do you like that Goal Zero solar setup? *before I could answer* Personally I think its a waste of money, you should go with a hard mounted setup."

"Why did you go with a cooler? *before I could answer* I really like the Engel refrigerator"

"Is that a stock motor? *before I could answer* I have a Subaru in mine, I can cruise at 70 all day."

"What do you use yours for? *before I could answer* Mine is, like, a total adventure mobile because it's a syncro. That means AWD"

I don't complain about much, and am certainly no snowflake (though if you call me one again, I will be triggered Wink ) but I guess this dude got under my skin...and I was wanting some Samba support...haha.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-32802.png]Click to view image[/URL]
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Short old-man rant from young(ish)-man Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

That's right forget what these folks say here. You go girl, own it Very Happy

You won the internet today.

To the OP. I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of douchebags out there. Sounds like someone that wanted to talk shop but may have social skills issues. I think it's more interesting that he asked if you had it built as I usually assume just the opposite that most people with VWs built it themselves.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: