Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Life of cat and muffler?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Life of cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Hello, ya all!

I have a EJ22 engine with kennedy cat and muffler* about 30k miles old.
Cat seems to be OK looking from outside but muffler is all rusted with big holes now pretending to be a harley.

I was wondering if it is OK to just replace the muffler only.

What is a normal life of a cat?

thanks

Allen

*[Moderator note: Revealed below, these are not Kennedy components.]
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: life of kennedy engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Cats are known to have several lives, up to seven. Laughing

I would replace it and start fresh, it looks like all bad quality ....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: life of kennedy engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

<<I would replace it and start fresh, it looks like all bad quality ....>>

You got inside info that nobody else was privy to , to say it looks like bad quality?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: life of kennedy engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
<<I would replace it and start fresh, it looks like all bad quality ....>>

You got inside info that nobody else was privy to , to say it looks like bad quality?

OP lives in California. Have you seen a lot of rain in the last 30K miles to cause big holes of rust? Unless it just got imported from Canada?

Quote:
30k miles old.
Cat seems to be OK looking from outside but muffler is all rusted with big holes

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

I've had a Walker muffler on my 87 for 65239 miles, and for 13 years,
here in the midwest I never see any rain.

What the heck are you talking about?
You said ; "it looks like"
I didn't see any pics posted.
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Ok, thanks

I should have included some pictures

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am wondering if I need to replace cat too while at it.....
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

I just realized the part number shown on the cat is different from what I see on kenndey engineering's web site.

I searched the number on line and it looks like a Magnaflow brand cat which is also a california qualified cat.

I guess my van never had a Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler set???
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Whats up with the two rectangular holes cut into the end of the muffler?
That's real interesting.

Ahh--the converter is welded to the muffler.
How do you plan on separating them from each other?

In this case, either weld the end of the muffler up, or buy another converter & muffler.
You'll destroy the converter splitting them up.

It looks like the converter is welded on the inlet side too.
Might require buying a new pipe too, and after looking again, the tailpipe is welded to the muffler--order one of them up too.

Ouch.
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
That's real interesting.

Ahh--the converter is welded to the muffler.
How do you plan on separating them from each other?

In this case, either weld the end of the muffler up, or buy another converter & muffler.
You'll destroy the converter splitting them up.

It looks like the converter is welded on the inlet side too.
Might require buying a new pipe too, and after looking again, the tailpipe is welded to the muffler--order one of them up too.

Ouch.

Ah, thanks.

Then, I will just order kenndy's set this time....
smog test is due in June.

picture is cut off but cat is welded onto a flange and bolted on to the inlet pipe.

thanks
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Different Cat and muffler than what I got from Kennedy. As received 4 years ago mine was stainless throughout, no rot as of yet in Norcal. Could be quieter is my only complaint.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
I've had a Walker muffler on my 87 for 65239 miles, and for 13 years,
here in the midwest I never see any rain.

What the heck are you talking about?
You said ; "it looks like"
I didn't see any pics posted.

This is my second language, so , yeah sorry for using "it looks like" rather than "it seems like."

A muffler that rust through after 30k miles in the California drought is most likely a piece of shit, if it comes from somewhere else, then yes I made an assumption. Blame it on the OP for not providing decent info .
True I haven't seen it, nor did I see the damn catalytic converter. Do I have to? I could have pulled a TK, and said " hey smarty pants, can't you use the search engine, can't you call Kennedy eng. to find out the brand yourself and research it on Google ?"
Answers are out there for people who don't want to discuss about it,but it looks/seems like the OP didn't choose that route and wants somebody to hold his hand to tell him what to do with his muffler and cat( meow).
You always advocate to install good quality parts and doing the job right, but it seems like you got bored today and yet have nothing to do than jump on your horse like the white knight to call me out on telling OP to spend a few more dollars on replacing the feline. ( the cat, meow!)

After all, I could care less about his damn exhaust system, but hey, glad your awesome Walker muffler is holding up, I don't get the analogy with the OP's muffler system. Is it the same brand that I'm not aware of? I have a ERNST muffler that's been on one of my van for almost 2 decades. Cool eh?
That is not relevant, just your anger spit via keyboard.

Now that we have a picture, it LOOKS like the catalytic converter is more recent than the muffler. All that welded would make me want to star fresh with a system that's not welded together like that. But hey, not my van after all.
Those holes are not from rust. Who knows what happened there, a bracket/hook was welded there??
Replace. Done.
Targis58, you probably could cut and weld a new muffler at this point since the cat seems fairly recent, or re do the whole system cleaner.

Your call and your wallet.

Piss! ( peace)
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Applause Cool
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
amwaj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
That's real interesting.

Ouch.

those square holes look suspiciously like where the support brackets from the muffler body to the inlet pipe used to be....
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

What are the 2 rectangular holes on the back end of the muffler from?
It ain't rust---

[Moderator note: Disparaging remarks removed. Keep that kind of insensitive nonsense to yourself, please.]
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Some ignora-moose welded a bracket to it, obviously, and naturally it tore off. It was probably hung in some other way in a previous life, cripes the damn thing looks antedeluvian. Never weld to the skin of a muffler, folks, it's far too thin. To support a muffler, always grab it by the inlet and/or outlet pipes. If there is no way to attach supports at the ends, then you have to saddle it and/or encircle the canister with a band and hang from that.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Alex, you're a damned cool genius in my book...no matter which language you're using
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Life of Kennedy-engineered cat and muffler? Reply with quote

I agree.
A totally misrepresented title.

The muffler ( now that it can be seen) looks like, appears to be an old Walker, ( which has a lifetime warrantee, not sure about the cut holes ) and if you do some creative cutting you could weld the new muffler back onto the converter.

Just rewrite the title so no one gets confused if they ever run into this thread ( no not needle & thread )
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Life of cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Those holes are interesting. They look like a torch was used to cut them more than something was ripped off. I am going to guess that some idiot had once hung the muffler from the frame instead of supporting it from the engine and caused the ell pipe on the left side of the car to break. They then torched off the supports and made a couple of patches which they attached with JB Weld or some other goop which eventually failed leaving the gaping holes.

Buy a decent quality muffler and support it properly and in California it should be the only one you will ever have to purchase.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Life of cat and muffler? Reply with quote

It's Muffler Elephant!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Life of cat and muffler? Reply with quote

Good one Dave--

An artistic expression on the end of the muffler--perfect-- Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: