Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 68 Bug Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

I would have gotten it on me, the headliner, the door jamb, the neighbor's dog, Anaheim Stadium, Tranquility Base, and maybe a few other places.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Hahahaha. I have a system, get it all ready, use a Home Depot quart measuring cup with a zip lock freezer bag placed in the measuring cup.

Pour the paint in, and when your done, squeeze out most of the air and zip it up. Holds for a couple weeks that way and you can reuse the Home Depot container for other things. When your done with the paint, just toss the bag.

Also, I use heavy duty chemical resistant gloves. Like yellow dishwashing gloves on steroids. Nothing sticks to them!
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Got in my sound deadening mat along with insulation and carpet. Car is so much quieter now. I love it!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

unibrowlad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Amazing build so far, I love it!
How much does that sound deadening material go for? I'd like to use it for my '71 build.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Thanks!

Here it is, I’ve still got about a 1/3 left after doing the floor pans all the way back

Kilmat 50 mil 50 sqft Car Sound Deadening Mat, butyl automotive Sound Deadener, audio Noise Insulation... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751G6TMV?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

You could probably do door panels and the front bulkhead as well with the same box
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

So I installed some upper stand offs on the decklid. I have a 1600 DP and figured it needed a little more ventilation. I also installed one of the save my bug temp sensing dipsticks that flashes your oil pressure light if you start to run too hot.

Also had a roll of electrical tape (Cold temp, not that it gets too cold in CA anyways 😛) and I decided to install a strip on the bumper. Not sure what the original was made out of, but mine was just the plastic strip, not the rubber impact strip.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

The electrical tape in the bumper groove looks very good and brings the bumper back to a stock appearance. But be forewarned that the tape will only last a few months in your hot CA climate; slowly pulling away along an edge. Does not matter if (and I'm sure you did) you cleaned the groove with a degreaser just before application, and that the tape and bumper were at room temperature. When I did that work on my '77's junkyard-sourced bumper way back in '93 I used marine vinyl tape. Although my car is parked in a carport most of the year and exposed to temperatures from 0F to 95F, the tape has remained in place all this time.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks for the info, I’ll have to pick some up
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Sanded and polished up the driver door today. I have been doing 1500 then 2000 grit sand paper (wet). Then I use my harbor freight orbital sander with compound. I would like to use polish afterwards. Hoping it shines more.

Different filters are messing with the color, but I like it 👍 (bottom pic is unfiltered, actual color)

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Car looks great.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Added empi decklid standoff’s recently and didn’t want to be without he spring so I also bought a hoodlum from cip1.com

Not only does it hold the lid open nicely, it is a little snug and holds the decklid down nicely so there are no rattles.

Also installed a temperature sensor from savemybug.com. Now I should have plenty of ventilation, but if anything happens my oil pressure light will start to flicker.

Ran into a fellow bug owner at the end of the day at the store and had to take a pic 😁

Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Not much new, but I did sand and polish two more panels of the car. The roof, and the passenger rear panel. Just need passenger door and fender and I’ll be done (and as good as my rustoleum rattle can paint job will be).

Hood probably needs to be repainted. It’s burning through the color. Lesson learned, go a coat or two more on both color and clear. At least that can always come off and be re done

Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Fixed my hesitation this weekend! Car had bad hesitation when taking off from 1st from a stop. Everything else was great, I tried to clean the heat risers, still did nothing, didn’t find any vacuum leaks so I replaced the gasket under the carb because when I first put it in there I pulled it off a few days after I installed it because I got a new carb (should have waited haha). So I put a new gasket on and didn’t go crazy, just snug and a tug.

Then I adjusted my accelerator pump. First I moved the bell so it was a notch past the screw, then 2, then 3. Still no luck and my idle kept rising. I was about to give up and went the other way one notch (moved the bell clockwise) and it worked like a dream! Dialed in the idle and mixture screw and it’s like a new car. So awesome. Made my weekend!
okmybad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

i toooo is dealing with bad car hesitation from 1st from a stop. i hope adjusting accelerator pump solve my problem too.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Bug has been neglected as I recently sold my GTI (constantly trying to avoid people on their phones got old 😥) so I sold this:

And bought this 😁:

Not really a bug post, but a milestone in my car world none the less!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Just skimmed this thread. Bug looks fantastic. I’m not a truck guy. But if I was it would be that one. Congrats.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Nice upgrade! It makes it easier to pick up parts!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

I wasn’t really either, but it fits with some of my hobbies and people get out of the way quicker!
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Been a while! I wanted to update my thread as I have done a few things.

I decided to grab some stock size tires and change out the front low low profile tires I had (for sale if anyone wants some kumho’s with less than 1000 miles haha). The low style wasn’t for me. When I switched back to stock with the drop spindle I got some rubbing so I decided to pick up stock spindles (and open Pandora’s box)

Picked up the spindles, then noticed my ball joints were shot. AND my tie rod ends were bad. So I slowly collected those parts. Then removed them with the autozone rent a tool. I couldn’t press the new ones in with it so Vw Jimbo helped me (thanks Jim!). Once I got everything apart, I found out that my steering coupler and damper were shot so I got new ones of those as well. I also realized that my sway bar was gone so I got a new one of those and some clamps.

So it’s all back together with much less body roll now. Next stop is alignment shop. I also still need to adjust steering box as it is super tight now, a real workout to turn the steering wheel. I backed off the nut in the steering box adjustment hatch, but might need to back it off a little more.

That’s all for now! All back together and look at that beautiful wheel gap! Haha, no more bottoming our for me

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 Bug Thread Reply with quote

Anytime! My tools are always available to you.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: