Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 68 Bug Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Thanks! All good info
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

So I just found this stuff online, ordered a bottle and sprayed some rust spots. While it does make you a little light headed if used in the garage (I will be buying a respirator, as my painting mask didn't cut it) it seems to work without even brushing off the rust, the liquid was just dripping the rust off onto the ground!

KRUD KUTTER MR32 The Must For Rust, 32-Ounce Trigger Spray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F6UHDY/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_J.XUzbMF54QXV

And it was only $12 shipped prime. Super excited to see how this helps get into those tough places the wire wheel can't.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Found some rust under my rear seals, cleaned it all out, wire wheeled, naval jelly, lots of elbow grease and sanding and then rust converter and epoxy putty filled,then some high build primer. Will do another round of putty to fill the small pits. Also got new window seals to replace the old after I get around to painting (which fees like forever from now Crying or Very sad )

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Disaster06 wrote:
So I just found this stuff online, ordered a bottle and sprayed some rust spots. While it does make you a little light headed if used in the garage (I will be buying a respirator, as my painting mask didn't cut it) it seems to work without even brushing off the rust, the liquid was just dripping the rust off onto the ground!

KRUD KUTTER MR32 The Must For Rust, 32-Ounce Trigger Spray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F6UHDY/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_J.XUzbMF54QXV

And it was only $12 shipped prime. Super excited to see how this helps get into those tough places the wire wheel can't.

I bought their cleaner at Lowe's, good stuff. Just now discovered that this brand is actually owned by Rust-O-Leum.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Yea. Definitely use a full respirator though, I got super dizzy when only using a dust mask Shocked

Now I spray it and exit the garage quickly.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Finally done hunting for rust. Slowly putting the car back together now... Very Happy

Used rust converter on fenders, then Rubber undercoating. Got one fender on, then the second and forgot to under coat it, had to pull it back off LOL. Small bondo will Be next and then FINALLY, primer.

Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Got most of my bondo done (that’s pretty cool stuff!)

All fenders back on, did bondo on my rear apron and deck lid and took out so many dents that were on both. Pretty happy 😃

Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Got some interior paint done today and my headliner goes back in tomorrow, so stoked! Very cool to see how the color is turning out. I love the smoke gray.

Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Used some duplicolor vinyl paint on the headliner today. Came out great. The pics don’t look the best because of the shadows but really Happy how it came out. Also painted my rear stereo panel to match.

I’ll be ready for exterior paint soon 🤤

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Disaster06 wrote:

Yep that's phosphoric acid for ya. Luuuuv that stuff.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

You've been busy Disaster lots of progress on all kinds of fronts. Momentum.

The body man I got my bug from has been filling me in (get it) on the finer points and he would prime the repaired deck and apron, then mist it with a dark color, than lightly block sand that down to primer and the remaining dark areas show where final attention is needed before color.

Looking good.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
You've been busy Disaster lots of progress on all kinds of fronts. Momentum.

The body man I got my bug from has been filling me in (get it) on the finer points and he would prime the repaired deck and apron, then mist it with a dark color, than lightly block sand that down to primer and the remaining dark areas show where final attention is needed before color.

Looking good.

Yea that has a certain name, dust coat or something like that. I’m sure once I get down the primer I will see more things stand out haha. These projects are killers! I just can’t wait to drive it again.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Did the b pillars and vinyl by the rear windows. Looking so good but ran out of light before I could glue it down in the back. I’ll save it for another day. Got a pic of the matching speaker deck as well.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Looking good! I need to get back by there and get a look at the progress, first hand! After I get my front beam back on (I hope) I will cruise over and check it out! Keep up the great work!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Primered, sanded, repeat, repeat, rattle can final smoke gray color. And now to wait until next weekend. Loving the color though 😎

Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Outside photos. Decided to rattle can it. Since I’m not going for a restore, and more so just getting all the rust and keeping the car on the road for longer, I don’t mind. I just miss driving it and want to be able to wash it 😝. Will fine sand next weekend, then 2 more light coats to get what was missed. Then sand and UV clear the following week.

Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Final color done, clear coats next

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Looking Good!!!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

Done sanding. Just polish and she’s ready!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 68 bug - Hunting for rust Reply with quote

How many cans of spray paint did you need for the color coats?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: