Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 68 Bug Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Update for the day:

Found some cheap trim today and had to put it on! PO had pulled off old trim then put it back on all dented to hell. Some clips were missing and it would rattle as I was going down the road. Now it's all new and shiny 😎
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Added my Bosch tach this weekend and a bamboo parcel tray today Very Happy

Realized I had set it in there upside down and corrected it here:
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Painted a door over the weekend, love how it came out. Decided to go charcoal gray and the passenger door will follow perhaps this weekend.

Got rid of some light surface rust in the door, primed, painted and cleared with rustoleum.

One day I'll match the exterior to this color.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Looking good! And I like that shelf. I need someplace to put my stuff.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

I know! There's not enough space to put stuff in there haha

Did you get your skate wheel pedal installed yet? If so, what do you think?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug Reply with quote

Disaster06 wrote:
I picked up some Kumho tires, I believe they are 155/60/15 Can't remember off the top of my head but it took away the rub. Now, only issue is the front is pretty low and I will scrape the bottom if my big buddy and I hit a dip (I drive slower over those), I will go with a little taller profile next time.

I picked them up at discount tires on Warner, installed, out the door for $150

Thanks for the info Diaster06!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Disaster06 wrote:

Right now it's in my glove box and the kids play with it like a fidgit spinner everytime they get in the bug. Waiting for that special Saturday to devote to the pedal cluster. It's huge and orange! I am looking forward to it.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Disaster06 wrote:

Right now it's in my glove box and the kids play with it like a fidgit spinner everytime they get in the bug. Waiting for that special Saturday to devote to the pedal cluster. It's huge and orange! I am looking forward to it.

nice! Well, it's definitely a noticeable difference. Enjoy
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Had to take a picture tonight. Looked inside the bug after taking it out, and it looked so nice.

Probably start painting the passenger door tomorrow.

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Just two comments on your build.

1. Do your fenders have beading installed? It doesn't look like it, or are you going to run without it.
2. Looking at the back of your seats, it appears that the spring frame is touching your covers at the back. Having just worked extensively on repairing my seats, you may find you need to add additional bracing across the top of the back seat so it doesn't touch. Even some foam might be good. The horizontal top brace may continue to sag and then before you know it, it will puncture through the top of the seat ruining your new covers.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Yea I have new beading but don't want to put it on until it gets painted.

The inside of the seats were a tricky one. The upholstery kit is from a 67, which I thought the seats were until I took them off and found out they were 68s that were cut off. I put foam across the tops of the seats but that bar is across the back. I think there's a fiber style board that goes across the back?

Unfortunately the drivers side had a spring come unwelded that was puncturing through that board area. I kind of fixed it with hog rings and zip ties but I think at the end of the day I was just trying to get it back together the best I could.

I know I could have spent a bunch more and meticulously had the seats rebuilt but since it's not going to be a show car and just a weekend cruiser I didn't go that route
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Disaster06 wrote:
Unfortunately the drivers side had a spring come unwelded that was puncturing through that board area. I kind of fixed it with hog rings and zip ties but I think at the end of the day I was just trying to get it back together the best I could.

Disaster, Bring the seat by on the weekend and I will weld it up for you! No worries! Bring a few Coconut beers from 4sons!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Disaster06 wrote:

Disaster, Bring the seat by on the weekend and I will weld it up for you! No worries! Bring a few Coconut beers from 4sons!

Thanks for the offer Jimbo! I'll have to take you up on that sometime. Maybe I'll buy the seat back inserts and get in touch with you to get that done😀
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Picture of the new painted doors! One day I'll match the outside to this
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started sunroof repair Reply with quote

On to the sunroof, one of my cables is shot and it's not longer attached to the sunroof, so t looks like new cables and plastic pieces as well as a new handle. A lot of sanding and then painting and back together it goes! Once I get this thing all back together I can start to save for exterior paint and then start to prep for that. Yaaaaaaay😕 They don't call it a project car for nothing!

On a side note, got a new headlight relay and now I don't fee like a secret agent gently picking a lock just to get my dash lights to come on😏
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Did a 68' trunk come with a VW hood badge? Mine doesn't have a spot for one.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Damn those PO's! My hood has the holes for the hood badge. Maybe it was sitting around and they got so drunk they forgot where it went and drilled holes in the rear? Oh well. No point in taking it off now. Maybe I'll fill the trunk holes with bondo and swap them before my paint job!
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Well dont go by my word. I could have a wrong year hood for all I know. I remember looking at mine like no VW is like corn flakes without the milk.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - Getting ready for roller paint Reply with quote

Ordered almost all parts to refurbish my sunroof. One of my cables is broken from the piece smthat slides on the track so that explains why the wasn't working all that well. I'm holding off on ordering the cables right now as they are like $175 for the pair.

Taking a new direction for the moment. I'm going to do the rustoleum oil roller paint job. Got all the supplies, probably about $150 (not $50 like people say)

Stripped car of the fenders, bumpers and trim. Getting closer

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First build thread 68 bug - started interior paint Reply with quote

Getting a car preped for paint is the most thanless job ever. Plus you can not drive it when it is in pieces. I always hate that point of the project. But when it starts going back together - Yippee!!!

Keep up the great job!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: