Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to find aftermarket Air Conditioning kit for MK2 Diesel?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
85golf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Where to find aftermarket Air Conditioning kit for MK2 Diesel? Reply with quote

Love this little car but every year it's a real pain to make it sit for months in the Arizona sun because it doesn't have A/C. Had the original invoice at one time which stated "A/C Option Not Selected" or something to that effect, and there seem to be MK2 diesels out there with A/C, so I am hoping it is possible to retrofit.

Haven't the slightest idea where to start. Is there a kit I can order? Do I need to find a donor car for the parts?

I'm sure those 55 horses will run slower than snot with a compressor on, but we could still use the car for errands and around town driving.

Any tips you can share, I'd be really grateful. It's one of those projects I set out to do every year but it fizzles out when I can't figure out how to accomplish it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find aftermarket Air Conditioning kit for MK2 Diesel? Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!

The compressor, hoses to & from the compressor, the brackets holding it to the block, tensioner, & the alternator are for diesel only, all other components can be sourced from a gas car. It's gonna be a bitch. You'd do well to source a non-runner to swap everything, or better yet, buy a complete car & sell yours.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find aftermarket Air Conditioning kit for MK2 Diesel? Reply with quote

finding a 85-88 golf to get the ac stuff from will suck most.. maybe 87.. the 85 pa built golf has crappy electronics vs a non pa built car.. and you will require the ac portion of the wiring harness/heater controls and such that are pa golf...

in 88 they made golfs in both mexico, ce2 fuse box under dash.. or pa which is the goofy wiring with fusebox in knee bar plastic trim with fold down plastic door

heaterbox, blower motor, heater controls, addition of vac line to run vents, ac hard lines, radiator and upper rad hose (real $$$) lower rad hose, brackets, pullys, compressor so on... all just so when you turn it on its like you deflate the 4 tires of air..

imo id look for a 98-03 tdi.. the effort is nice to give the golf ac.. but the tdi ac system is far better due to the serp belt design.. and no it cannot be retrofitted to the 1.6 as the 1.6 block lacks a bolt hole and those that try.. fail as not having that 4th bolt lets the other 3 break
85golf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find aftermarket Air Conditioning kit for MK2 Diesel? Reply with quote

Thanks for the rundown, I think I will stay patient and keep my eyes peeled for parts cars. This one can stay parked until the weather changes. She looks better than most (exterior and interior) and after driving for 10 years I am rather attached.

Real good info on what parts I would need to be looking for.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Where to find aftermarket Air Conditioning kit for MK2 Diesel? Reply with quote

also.. besides the electrical connector issues of pa vs ce2.. the dash and how it holds the ac controls is different.. so modding plugs will not fix fitment issues so parts car needs to share your dash set up too.. the 4way/defrost section is different... ce2 the go into the radio facia.. yours should screw into the dash behind the radio facia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: