Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Daily Driver Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Daily Driver Westy Reply with quote

We went to Townsend, VT this weekend for Buses at Bald Mountain camp out. We have never been to this event before. It was a lot of fun and there were a bunch of great local sights and a lot of buses. We were #77. Good times
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The camp grounds were beside the West River. The group bring tubes and get bussed up the river and float down. We did not bring tubes, but we did find a rope swing under the walk across covered bridge and had a great time. We will definitely bring our inner tubes next year
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Daily Driver Westy Reply with quote

We've been driving the bus very often lately, mostly due to the process of trial and error; the bus starts running awful, try to figure out the problem, fix the problem, repeat. This has been going on for a couple weeks now, but as of today we've established that it was probably an issue related to the points and condenser/distributor all along.

Anyway, yesterday we made the 300-mile drive to Massachusetts from Maine for the annual VolksFair in Shrewsbury. Contrary to the purpose and namesake of our camper, we stayed the night in a Hampton Inn before making our way to the Hebert Candy Mansion.

We brought our Sears Allstate trailer with us, too to carry parts to vend at the show. While business wasn't too great, the trailer has held up fine (I'm currently en route to home, about 40 miles out).

Next week we will take the trip to Acton, Maine for the Vacationland Volkswagen Association car show. Meanwhile, we'll hope the rest of this trip goes smoothly (I better not have jinxed us!! Shocked )

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Daily Driver Westy Reply with quote

Since Shrewsbury we went up north to my old workplace. Every day I went to work here I was sure the place would be shut down. It never was, but was always a rocky road.

Some back roads on the way home:

Loaded up and off to the VVA Acton Maine car show.

Both of my kids helped park the show cars with the Stingray. The cars follow the bikes to their parking spots. We took the trailer and had a swap spot as well as a spot for the bus in the show. We got there early and got great spots.

The next weekend we went up north to Smyrna Mills to see Dave Condon, the Rabbit hunter. He owns Daves Foreign Auto up there and has a massive yard full of Rabbits. I would say he's an excellent hunter. We stopped at a scenic overlook in Millinocket and got a photo of Mt. Kathadin. It is exactly 1 mile high, the highest point in Maine. It was not originally that high, but the boy scouts piled up a bunch of rocks to get it to that level (True story)

Close up of the bike rack:

We went to MA and RI this past weekend. We stayed two nights in a campground. Lots of campers stopped to check out the bus.

Saturday we spent all day sight seeing. We went to Ft Wetherill in RI It is a military base now in ruins. It was first built as a fort in 1799 and closed down after WW2 There was alot to explore, and the weather was great. My son and his friend were commissioned by a wildlife rehab person to rescue a seagull with a broken wing. Success.

We drove right through (and under) Boston:

Norwood, MA:
Saw this nice new Vespa (we photo bombed it):

I accidentally took this photo, but thought it looked cool:

The purpose of our trip was to go to VWs on the Hill in Cumberland, RI on Sunday 8. 20 We made it there and saw alot of awesome VWs, met alot of new people, and friends from the area. We took many photos, but this is the only one with our bus in it. You can see our pop up on the left side:

Great weekend. We drove approx. 700 miles. We are up to about 9400 miles this year. Two weeks from now is the Maine Buses by the Buoy camp out. We plan to go there, then Flanders, NJ the next weekend.
Good times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Daily Driver Westy Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of fun, thanks for posting.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Daily Driver Westy Reply with quote

Pinetops,
We have had an awesome time this year. I have been driving and tinkering with VWs since 1990 and this has been the best year by far. The family and friends are what makes it. My sons friend came with us this weekend and I asked him if he had ever ridden in a bus. He had never been in a vehicle without power windows. Haha but true. I hope if he ever has to push start a vehicle he has seen The Karate Kid.
https://y.yarn.co/d3b02bf6-f1b4-4c06-9f01-4121783a3f07_screenshot.jpg
Ok, pop it.
JackStraw72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Daily Driver Westy Reply with quote

Love the story and pics! Just out of curiosity, the times it broke down and needed towed, what was the issue?
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Daily Driver Westy Reply with quote

JackStraw72,

The first time it broke down (last year) one of the injectors quit, and one of the wires going to the temp sensor 1 was making no contact. (towed by me) This year, the first time it broke down, the linkage between the clutch cable and pedal broke.(AAA towed) The rest of the problems I had were all related to the crimped connections on my accufire electronic ignition. The pos and neg wires both had bad crimps and would lose connection randomly. All fixed without being towed. It helps to carry spare parts. I switched back to my points and condenser and have been good since.

Thanks,
Dave
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Daily Driver Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
Our USAa insurance has roadside protection but for some reason the bus was not covered

USAA is somewhat funny how they do things. They have our policies but I don't know why. They always imply they take good care of people but our experience has been otherwise these days. For example - I paid almost $40K for a 3 year old MDX this year, put 5 months and 3500 miles on it. Put another $4,400 in factory accessories on it bringing the total purchase to essentially $44,200 with taxes, fees etc. USAA wants to total it with a 15% depreciation which is outrageous for owning it such a short period of time. In fact I can't come close to replacing it for that - and the gal who hit us is insured so USAA should get all their money back from GEICO. Last time we used USAA ins it was because one of their adjsuters' husbands hit us while shaving and totaled us - we were stopped. It took almost 2 years to settle with USAA, and my attorney told me that they made threats to him that he would suggest settling rather than proceed. I think I netted $2400 for a lifetime of back pain in the settlement and lost more than that on the car that was totaled. If you got away with just borrowing someone's AAA card you were lucky.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Daily Driver Westy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Our USAa insurance has roadside protection but for some reason the bus was not covered

USAA is somewhat funny how they do things. They have our policies but I don't know why. They always imply they take good care of people but our experience has been otherwise these days. For example - I paid almost $40K for a 3 year old MDX this year, put 5 months and 3500 miles on it. Put another $4,400 in factory accessories on it bringing the total purchase to essentially $44,200 with taxes, fees etc. USAA wants to total it with a 15% depreciation which is outrageous for owning it such a short period of time. In fact I can't come close to replacing it for that - and the gal who hit us is insured so USAA should get all their money back from GEICO. Last time we used USAA ins it was because one of their adjsuters' husbands hit us while shaving and totaled us - we were stopped. It took almost 2 years to settle with USAA, and my attorney told me that they made threats to him that he would suggest settling rather than proceed. I think I netted $2400 for a lifetime of back pain in the settlement and lost more than that on the car that was totaled. If you got away with just borrowing someone's AAA card you were lucky.

SGKent,
Sorry to hear about your dealings with USAA. My wife and I have had USAA for 20 years, and never had an accident or any other issue needing them for anything. We have only handed them cash this whole time. I do have AAA now and plan to continue with that.
Thanks,
Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: