Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'55 original build - Black Sabbath
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

EDIT: Discovered it's a '55 not '54, so that '55 engine might be matching!

Well my '61 has to go. I found my dream, called up and forgot to even haggle because I loved it so much. This is my new oval dream beetle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's all original minus the engine, from a 55. Everything is there except a fuel tank cap, and everything else is in an understandably ratty condition, it's 63 years old after all. Has the original wheels also. Will pick it up within a week hopefully and post my own photos. Comes with replacement panels for almost everything, I'll have to source a front guard to weld in a bottom patch, but if it's black then it won't be too hard to just paint the graft with a bit of black spray.

Build will progress faster later in the year, will probably go on my 61 pan so I can move it about while I restore the '54 pan properly in the background and get the '55 motor restored as well. The 1776cc is already started so I could probably drive it around on my pan and motor then go back to original and justify another aircooled for the 1776 to slot into.

Any way, photos!

Will have photos soon from picking it up and the long drive home. Then we begin! It's more rust free than any other I've seen this old, nothing else in the body is rotting and paint under the bonnet and decklid can get cleaned up nicely.

So for anyone willing to help, what kind of things do I need to look out for first on a '54 and what is the general consensus on putting lap belts in a beetle without any belts?

Last edited by Hazza6542 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:34 am; edited 2 times in total
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build Reply with quote

Make sure the bonnet, engine lid/spring are correct and seats are correct, there's a great thread on the 54/5 engines whats correct or not!

Great find!!
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build Reply with quote

Hazza6542 wrote:
what is the general consensus on putting lap belts in a beetle without any belts?

Well, of course you have to have belts. Even if you're a purist there are just too many crazy drivers out there just looking for an excuse to kill you. I put them in my '57 and it wasn't bad and they look ok too.
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build Reply with quote

Great find! It appears to be fairly solid and original. Purchase a new roll of wire for your MIG welder, your going to need it for welding in new A-pillars, floor pans, repairing tear in fender, metal work at bottom of passenger fender, etc.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 original build Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Great find! It appears to be fairly solid and original. Purchase a new roll of wire for your MIG welder, your going to need it for welding in new A-pillars, floor pans, repairing tear in fender, metal work at bottom of passenger fender, etc.

All good, I've got a mate doing the welding who builds 4x4 off road gear, his quality is good enough for this car. In one of those photos of the a pillar you can see some silver panels, those are new replacements for the a pillar rust so no messing about to fill them.

Good to know about the seat belts, will probably only run the lap belts but better than nothing. If I register it without I can run the WW belts.
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build Reply with quote

pm me, I might be interested in purchasing your 61 beetle - does it have 50/50 tail lights?
congrats on your purchase, 54 oval is special and to find an original example is rare.
Mildoval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build Reply with quote

Nice find, I saw this on Gumtree and loved it! If I didn't already have a '54 in the shed I would been seriously interested. Look forward to your updates.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '54 original build Reply with quote

Mildoval56 wrote:
Nice find, I saw this on Gumtree and loved it! If I didn't already have a '54 in the shed I would been seriously interested. Look forward to your updates.

I had a '54 sized hole in my shed! I was looking for panels for my other beetle and I just kept looking at it, spoke to my brother about it and he didn't need to encourage me much. Probably one of the only good decisions I've made while drinking with him.

Our 4x4 got hit so not sure on pick up anymore, might have to get it freighted up. Who knows, the insurance hire car might be another diesel so finger crossed. Probably cost around the same to pick up or freight, but road trips to pick up cars are fun.

Plan is to have it sit around for a few weeks while I sus everything out then swap the pans over and get to rust repairs. With all my parts it's really just rubber seals and wiring. Now I know what I'm doing it shouldn't be too hard.
Mildoval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more. Picking up your new project and driving it home is a great feeling and a great road trip! How far do you have to go?
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build Reply with quote

Mildoval56 wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Picking up your new project and driving it home is a great feeling and a great road trip! How far do you have to go?

Only about 950km. All depends, I find out if I have access to a 4x4 tomorrow. Got a quote for freight that is really good but I have to wait about 3 weeks. Gives me time to prepare room for it a bit better as well and explain to the girlfriend why a '54 is so much more important.

Had a play around with myplates, too. Pretty happy with this one, will order it soon so it's ready. Includes the year, then the 5 and 4 translate to S and A, and it's a black car so it doesn't get any better. Pretty sure it's gunna be called Black Sabbath now.

pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

love that plate! Twisted Evil
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

So I need some help decoding the chassis number on the car, which matches the body number. Keep in mind this is an Australian delivered car, so that might make some sort of difference, maybe.

Chassis # 1-0806139

# on the front vin plate is the same as the chassis number according to PO. Next question is, the body doesn't seem to have a body number stamped in it under the tag but rather another tag entirely saying 'MADE IN WESTERN GERMANY'. So I think this isn't an import, quote from ClubVW AU:

"From 1954 to 1959 Australian Volkswagens were assembled from German CKD parts. The components were made according to the German model year, but completion in Melbourne could often be up to six months later, due to the shipping time for the CKD crates to arrive in Melbourne, be railed to Clayton and unpacked, prepared, assembled and finished (joining with the various Australian-made components such as tyres, batteries, glass, paint, upholstery etc)."

From what I can tell from the Chassis # it's a '55, but I'm not %100 certain and not an expert on these things, I'm only new to oval's now. If anyone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it. Some more photo's I got today also.

Correct H apron

Really nice original wiring, don't think I'll bother with a new loom!

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

That chassis vin looks dangerously like it's been replaced Shocked
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Mitchvwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Awesome score!! Yeah going by that chassis number it should be Jan/feb 1955.
If it's an Australian built car it should have a number starting with MKA below the vin plate (it looks like the 'made in western Germany' tag is mounted over the top of this number)
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
That chassis vin looks dangerously like it's been replaced Shocked

I can't find anything on searches about 54-55 differences, anything to look for to make sure? Also what about it looks replaced? I can't really tell much, looks like a lot of that tar board material growing old on the tunnel.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Mitchvwnut wrote:
Awesome score!! Yeah going by that chassis number it should be Jan/feb 1955.
If it's an Australian built car it should have a number starting with MKA below the vin plate (it looks like the 'made in western Germany' tag is mounted over the top of this number)

How can you tell the months? I've looked but haven't really learned how to decipher the codes properly.

Now I gotta change those plates Sad
Mitchvwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

There's not a whole heap of differences between 54 and early 55's
off the top of my head the early 55's didn't have the luggage rails behind the rear seat in the parcel area.
I wouldn't worry too much about the vin being changed, those numbers look perfectly original. I think he was referring to the way the vin plate is mounted as the screws aren't original, but if the number on the plate matches that on the tunnel it's alright
Mitchvwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

The vin number references on the club vee dub site aren't very clear about each month. If you Press on the technical icon at the top of this site and then press on the vin/chassis icon and it'll come up with a spreadsheet of what chassis number started and ended each month
Mitchvwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

The vin number references on the club vee dub site aren't very clear about each month. If you Press on the technical icon at the top of this site and then press on the vin/chassis icon and it'll come up with a spreadsheet of what chassis number started and ended each month
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: '54 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Cheers for that. I'm guessing the plate was originally riveted on not screwed? Not too worried about it being '54 or '55, it's a black og oval, that's been the dream for a long time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: