Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'55 original build - Black Sabbath
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Its a February 1955 car

European and US cars had the VIN plates riveted

The screws look like they could be original to me, but I do not know much about the Australian cars

Last edited by txoval on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Its a February 1954 car

European and US cars had the VIN plates riveted

The screws look like they could be original to me, but I do not know much about the Australian cars

1954 again?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but could you run me through why that is? From what I see it's a Jan '55.

Chassis # 1-0806139

1955: Jan 1-0802 622
Feb 1-0823 604
Mar 1-0847 966

1954: Jan 1-0594 689
Feb 1-0609 909
Mar 1-0627 474
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Sorry, that's what I get for using my phone.

February 1955
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thats what scares me.... It looks like someone has welded 2 new tunnel vins over the OG one.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

No, that is how the original tunnel VINs are on the early cars, there is small rectangular indent where the VIN sits

The number is correct. Plus any welding would have damaged that original sound padding
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Oh ok, that indent looked like another piece of metal to me so it looked messed with.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Mildoval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Yep, looks like an early '55 which is pretty much the same as a '54 in Australia. There shouldn't be screws in the vin plate (it should be riveted) but it' looks like it's had a paint touch up in that area in the past, no dramas there. As you said.. it's an early oval and it's black! Enough said... have you got it home yet?
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

There should be a MKA number behind the Made in Germany tag. MKA represents Martin and King who put together the knocked down kits from Germany. It covers all early ovals in Australia.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Cheers guys, very helpful.

Nope not home for a few weeks still, 2nd week of July it arrives. I'll be getting a ton of photo's when it arrives and asking lots of questions.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Got the engine number today, thing is I think it's from a '54!

1 - 0863732

I'll try starting it in my '61 shell and see what happens. It'll probably be stored away for a long time until I can do a proper rebuild of that and just run the fresh 1776 in it. Is there any way to tell if this car had synchro gears at all?
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Well it should be here this weekend hopefully!

Question about replacing the pans. It comes with replacement WW pans, but I've noticed they're not the same as the original pans or the Klassicfab pans. I'm wondering if when I replace the pans I can leave the last bit in place maybe, for the original battery tray so not to hit the seat springs on the battery terminals.

So there are the new WW pans, the 'correct' -55 pans because of the correct seat rails but the rear around the battery isn't right at all. You guys know what I'm talking about.

It's never going to be a showroom factory condition car, so I'm wondering if there is anything really important about keeping that section of pan original or not. I've seen some other 55-55 builds where people are welding in these new style pans without issue. Only thing I can think of is the battery hitting the low early seat springs but could that be solved by just mounting a battery strap a few inches forward?

Here's some photo's of it rolled out ready for pick up. Love black beetles at night, going to have to get some of Chip's LED panels for the hearts so people see it. Having the top heart section as an indicator might be the go.

Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Chris Vallone from Classic VW has a great video on You Tube - https://youtu.be/X6yWsHJCC7Y which can help you.
Essentially you will have to keep the rear of the pan, seat rails and the jack sections to retain the period correct components of the pan.

Check out the other videos, he's a really good resource centre.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Srecko wrote:
Chris Vallone from Classic VW has a great video on You Tube - https://youtu.be/X6yWsHJCC7Y which can help you.
Essentially you will have to keep the rear of the pan, seat rails and the jack sections to retain the period correct components of the pan.

Check out the other videos, he's a really good resource centre.

I think I've watched every single one of his videos over the years, keep going back to them. That's how I first found out about the different pan shape for -55. It comes with new correct seat rails and jack points also. It's just that different rear section I need to know if it is essential or just correct.
Mildoval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Since your not going full 'period correct' just remove the complete old pans and replace with the new pans - it's just a cosmetic difference.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Mildoval56 wrote:
Since your not going full 'period correct' just remove the complete old pans and replace with the new pans - it's just a cosmetic difference.

Cool, good stuff. It arrives tomorrow so I'll have a ton of photos of more in depth stuff, going hunting for rust! The fact that the original spare wheel well is fully in tact makes me confident she'll be pretty rust free in general. As for the pans, I'll try and salvage the original battery strap and mount it in a similar spot so that the terminals don't spark on the seat bottom.

First plan for tomorrow is to throw the retrosound in place and have a play with that, start stripping what I don't need, rebuild the og indicator stalk with the internals from the new one and wire in a trailer adapter and get the parkers, brakes and semaphores flashing as indicators together. Then probably get started on some other free stuff like swapping over my mirrors and maybe some switches so I can run my og twin speed wiper motor and swap out the choke switch for fogs or some other accessory.

Might bust out a little cut and polish and shiny up some of the original paint, see if it looks better dirty and rusty or shiny and rusty, leaning towards the latter. So nice having an already finished paint job Wink

Still trying to decide whether I swap pans for now, don't have a good space to store the body off chassis safe from the elements outside so sitting it on my pan would be good, already got a mate interested in my shell so not a worry with that.

Can't wait to work on my first oval! Girlfriend doesn't like the term 'first oval', says it hints that there will be more after this one. She's probably not wrong...
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Hazza6542 wrote:

Cool, good stuff. It arrives tomorrow so I'll have a ton of photos of more in depth stuff, going hunting for rust! The fact that the original spare wheel well is fully in tact makes me confident she'll be pretty rust free in general. As for the pans, I'll try and salvage the original battery strap and mount it in a similar spot so that the terminals don't spark on the seat bottom...

Make sure u insulate the battery cover with good rubber to stop that sparking.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Going to try and find some rubber boots for the terminal connectors to slip over first, then go over again with something like that for extra safety.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

It's here!

I'll edit it all together better late but pics!

On the trailer the moment it came.

The main nasty rust repair on the fender, will try and weld from underneath to keep the look.

Front bumper and bonnet look better than I expected

HEARTS! Rear apron in surprisingly good cond.

Dash looking good, retrosound already in now just playing with the fit to make it flush.

Wiring is mint, ripped out a semaphore and tested and works perfectly! There was nothing under that front 'Made In Western Germany' tab, so is it a CKD Aus delivered or a RHD import maybe?

Little rust in the wheel well but nothing crazy.

Door rust, gotta replace the A Pillar door attachments anyway and do a little rust repair on door bottom anyway so no dramas.

Pulling her apart to get parts across Crying or Very sad
Worthy trade, sad to see all that work disappear but it so easy to work on the new when everything is ready to go.

After a little play with lights and mirrors, the bumper over riders already had holes in the top so threw the fog on there and it just looks better on the black car.

More to come through the week.

Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Motor doesn't turn but that's ok.

Floor pans are shot, again that's all good

All windows are Sekurit

Speedo stamping

Retrosound Model 2 test fitting, looks good in the dash.

The batwing is in really good shape, steering is sharp and no slop

Slammed on no rubber.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Hazza6542 wrote:
Got the engine number today, thing is I think it's from a '54!

1 - 0863732

I noticed in the engine pic you posted it looked like an earlier engine (1954 cylinder tin) so I went and saw your engine # post above.

This engine # is from 9/1954

Congrats on the car too!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: