Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'55 original build - Black Sabbath
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Well that diagram didn't work at all, couple things. Didn't account for the lights being on allowing the indicators to work at all, so that was a problem. I've changed it all up and all works fine now, just need to buy more diodes so it works. I'll draw up a new diagram with more detail of every wire so others can use it now it's proven with an explanation tonight.

And then to top off the day, these arrived! The orange lens is a big improvement, I know it's not original but it's definitely safer, hopefully people recognise it as an indicator now. You can see in the last photo how solid the original red plastic has become, light barely passes through it now and started to crumble in spots when I removed it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

After you get that sorted, you soon make an appointment for a manicure. Shocked
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible wrote:
After you get that sorted, you soon make an appointment for a manicure. Shocked

Haha, probably an idea. Working on the bikes in the dirt usually ends up messy.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

So I've confirmed now after pulling out most of the old headliner padding that the car has been in some sort of real nasty crash as some point and had pretty decent repairs. Repairs are real old, they'll be from the 80's at least I'd say. The rear left half of the car is not original. It has been cut from about half way down between the A and B pillars and welded on all the way back to the rear apron, about 4 inches across the body (from left to right).

Opinion: Ah well.

Got a feeling this is why this car has been sold and bought a handful of times across the country in the last 10 years, but I don't wanna be another one of them! Time to get fixing and learn how to weld. Only real problem is the rear window. The original inner sheet metal for the rear window is all there, but hasn't been placed in right when the repairs happened. It sits in front of the roof pillar (the sheet metal that the interior light sits in, I don't know the right term) when it should sit behind and then it's had extra grippers welded on. Not sure how to tackle this, after I post photo's I'm sure someone else will chime in with a decent idea. For now I'll be grinding off the new grippers because the original grippers from the new section of car welded in still has it's originals in great shape lurking underneath. The problem is then sliding the rear window metal behind this roof pillar, so it sits in place then probably just a few light welds to hold in place.

Also means on the inside I'll need to grind down old welds, possibly even cut and reweld some sections to make it a bit nicer and go from there. Heater channels are shot, so they're also on the list but until I've got the cash to buy some of Gerson's stuff, I'm not bothering with the other shit you can buy. Sure, the car ain't a show car but it's rare over here and still deserves to be original and done the right way the first time.

I'll get pics soon, no phone or camera at the moment.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Hang in there Brother, Little steps at a time you'll get that Bug back to where you want it to be. Keep the updates coming
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible wrote:
Hang in there Brother, Little steps at a time you'll get that Bug back to where you want it to be. Keep the updates coming

Thanks mate, that's the motivation I need! I've got a panel beater mate coming round this week who'll give me a kinda professional opinion on what to do. Other option I've got is a whole rust free '61 sitting next to this '55 that I could use for sheet metal. Plenty of options!
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Well hopefully I should be receiving a large chunk of underpay, so can't think of anything better to waste it on than fresh sheet metal. Before I go ahead with anything I got some questions for people who know a lot better than me.

Doors.

I'll have to get new inner metal for the ribbed doors, that's no problem to repair because my passenger (left over here) door the hinge isn't even connected to the door at all now and the hinge is rusted to shit. That's fine, but I'll need new hinges. I can't find too much on early beetle door hinge reproductions other than late beetle hinges. Is this what people are using? I could get away with reusing the top hinge and trying to rebuild the original lower hinge with a new hinge pin but I'm not sure on it yet, because it's stuck and won't move I can't get a decent view.

Also with door hinge bolts, there's one left on the top hinge that has been rounded so that the only tool that fits properly is the rubber on top of a pencil. There's nothing left that still resembles a + slot for a screwdriver, can't even use an impact driver. Is an easy out a decent option or maybe weld a nut on and use a socket or something like that.

The other option I've seen is to use late hinges and drilling extra holes. Does this still work with ribbed doors? I'd like to keep things original, regardless of condition, keep her as a survivor.

I've got some photo's I'll try and upload tonight.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Photos finally. Not the best quality, sorry.

Here you can see the problems with the rear window metal.

Drivers side, as it should be

And the passengers, not so much

Original grippers still underneath in good condition

Top door hinge, nothing is getting that bolt to budge

Ribbed door lower outside towards hinge, needs new metal

And the inner, you can see the hinge isn't attached to any of the door and frozen solid with rust.

New brackets arrived for the hearts, I changed em a bit and bent the lower bulb holder out so that the two wire posts don't obstruct it as much and centres the bulb with the lens. Still need to redrill one of the mounting holes to fit the car properly.

Bad news is a semaphore has gone missing. No idea how that happens, but the house got cleaned and I got a horrible feeling one of my house mates might have thrown it out as junk sitting on the table.

Question about the hearts, I need new seals between the lens and chrome trim, can't seem to find anything though. What's everyone using for this?
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111945191A
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111945191A

Cheers but that's not it. It's a rubber spacer that holds the red lens tight against the chrome, not the light body to the fender.

Having trouble with these brackets, I don't think they're going to work.
Original brackets were mounted with two bolts 58.78mm apart, new ones are 65.11mm apart. Drilled one bracket out to fit and when mounted the body of the light didn't sit against the seal at all. The screw hole for the lens to mount the bracket is offset from the original about 4mm and the distance from that hole the the base of the bracket is about 2mm off. Not sure how to work with this.
uk 6t6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

These the seals you're after?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=596971

they also sell seals for the hearts as well

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=405206

Got a set of here for my 54

(o\ ! /o) 54 58 61 66 (o\ ! /o)

"Its like jazz... either you get it or you don't... "
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

uk 6t6 wrote:
These the seals you're after?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=596971

they also sell seals for the hearts as well

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=405206

Got a set of here for my 54

Yep I think that's them, thanks!

Did you have to buy new brackets at all? If so where'd you go through?
uk 6t6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

I've not got any new ones, yet... my car's still a pile of bits at the moment lol

but i have got some of these LED conversions from Chip on here... which require the bracket to be cut down, not sure to cut my original ones or by some of the repro ones if they need cutting anyway...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1519884

(o\ ! /o) 54 58 61 66 (o\ ! /o)

"Its like jazz... either you get it or you don't... "
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Well I got the brackets rebuilt and they seem to be working well, can't really tell until I have new seals but I'd say they'll be fine. With new bulbs and a wire running straight to the flasher relay, everything works perfectly. Need to get the semaphores down to 6V but front parking, semaphores and rear hearts all flash together. Parkers are hooked up to flash when the parking light switch is on or off, and return to whatever they were doing (on or off) once I'm done indicating, video coming soon.

Might still go LED's for the hearts but now I've seen them working in daylight they're not bad at all.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Here they are all working well, I'll feel safe people will know what a semaphore means now!

Link

Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Well I'd like to say progress has been slow, but there hasn't been any progress at all. Got a free Subaru that needs a new motor, so that's the latest project, but selling that should fund the body work and chassis completely!

Lots of discoveries but not much in the way of work. Started taking more apart as I've decided to go for an all out build, for a rat look at least. The more I took off the car, the more rust I found. On my 61' I didn't care so much, but an oval deserves better. Front quarters from the front of the fuel tank forward are rat shit, they're gunna need cutting out and replacing. Hard to find a clip around here for a decent price and quality so Mika's front quarters seem to be the way. New wheel well sheet metal is needed as well but the original front apron should be salvageable. The horn bracket has snapped off and the 'solid' bits of metal only take a slight tap from a screwdriver to fall apart. Everything past the fuel tank is solid.

The rear quarters where the bumpers mount are shot, so new panels from wolf parts will get welded in but again, I should be able to salvage the rear apron but not fussed if it needs a new one. The front quarters near the A pillar aren't so good. Taking off the front fender I discovered a bolt that just tore the sheet metal out rather than unwinding and I expect the drivers side will be the same. Heater channels I already knew were shot, but my biggest concern is with the fuel tank mount. It looks like a previous repair because the areas where the tank mount are welded to the front quarters, no spot welded in place. I have no other early cars to reference this too but can't imagine it's right. Also looks like there's some green paint underneath the black, but only in this area. Lower A pillars still need repairs and of course the chassis, which will probably be the first thing I start on. My folks just finished some renovations with a nice sheltered car port that only fits one large car, but easily fits one large car and a beetle! Might take some convincing to let me take this one back there...

Wiring is getting ripped out and I'll be making a whole new looms with a better fuse panel and relay set, so it'll be a lot more wiring but also a lot cleaner in the front.

Lot's of work to get done, I'll get some photo's tomorrow to show all my happy discoveries. Hate that there's more work to do, but it'll feel better driving something done right the first time.
Hazza6542
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Wow, long time since I've posted.

Work on the car got halted for a while, life threw some curve balls and almost had to sell her a few times but thank God I didn't have to in the end. After moving it stay at a family members place hundreds of kilometres away, it's now moved back to live with me, funnily enough on the same street it first arrived to me 25 houses down. Proper work has begun!

Have a garage now, what a difference. So much easier to work, and having a proper tool set up is great. Engine, gearbox and chassis came out this week. I'm actually quite impressed with how little rust there is on the chassis. Yeah some of the floor is missing but pans are here ready to throw in and the rest is perfect. They're 56 and up pans, but I just can't stretch the budget for funky green pans so they'll have to do, for now. Narrowed beam is ready, just gotta find some replacement early hand brake cables, no luck yet. Forgot how bad the body rust was, not pleasant to see it all again but it'll keep me busy.

Hopefully the pan will be ready for wheels in the next few months, funds as a student aren't amazing, and my new dream daily rolled into a wall in the middle of the night after the handbrake gave out so that chewed into a fair bit of my cash, and even more of the cash I don't have. Will post more photos as I go.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Always good to read about progress! Just keep at it and keep the updates coming!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 original build - Black Sabbath Reply with quote

Hey, Hi from NZ. What an awesome read and journey. Thanks for the detailed photos and text. Looking forward to more in time. Cheers 1956 NZ CKD Beetle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: