Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thoughts on how to cure this problem?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

We didn't get it in the video, but it gets pretty violent. Will shocks fix this, or is it an issue with the springs?
The tires are Kenda motorcycle tires with 12 lbs pressure.

Link
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

Are they balanced?

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Are they balanced?

Dale

That, my friend, is a good question. I guess I should start there. It doesn't bounce until I hit a hole or bump though, and comes out of it eventually.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

I'd put some shocks on first and go from there. Didn't see any shock in the video.
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
I'd put some shocks on first and go from there. Didn't see any shock in the video.

No shocks. The frame has a mount, but the lower control arm does not. I thought about welding a mount to the control arm, but they are polished chrome.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

both front tires? or just the left? check torsion springs for any broke springs if its just the left side..
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

You must have shocks on it to stop it while driving on the street. If you were just duning then you would get away with it. Same as getting a wobble from not having a steering dampner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
both front tires? or just the left? check torsion springs for any broke springs if its just the left side..

Yep, just the left. Will take it apart.
Thanks.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

gunslingertom wrote:
vwjetboat wrote:

Yep, just the left. Will take it apart.
Thanks.

if you find a few broken.. they broke .. because???? no shock..
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

gunslingertom wrote:
enjoyther1de wrote:

No shocks. The frame has a mount, but the lower control arm does not. I thought about welding a mount to the control arm, but they are polished chrome.

Grind that gaudy chrome off and weld a shock mount on. Function before shiny shit I always say.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
gunslingertom wrote:
enjoyther1de wrote:

Grind that gaudy chrome off and weld a shock mount on. Function before shiny shit I always say.

agree, 110%

A cheap way to add a mount is to weld on a 12mm rod coupler. Just grind off the zinc before welding, and make sure your shocks reach with .75" extra extension...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

Side note: When you get that shock mount welded on I would put some regular oil filled stock shocks on that rail. I'm thinking a gas filled may be to stiff for that front end.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

What tire pressure are you using in the front tires?
As light as the buggy, anything more than 12PSI (and that high IMOP) is to much.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:

I agree, but I hate to have to remove chrome from 4 trailing arms. Guess I could just paint them all.

Vanapplebomb wrote:
A cheap way to add a mount is to weld on a 12mm rod coupler. Just grind off the zinc before welding, and make sure your shocks reach with .75" extra extension...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My trailing arms have no remnant of an old shock mount whatsoever, so I'll have to do some creating gusseting.

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
What tire pressure are you using in the front tires?
As light as the buggy, anything more than 12PSI (and that high IMOP) is to much.

They were at 12 psi in the video.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

Only need to grind two trailing arms because only the bottom ones get the mount. Creative gusseting is pretty easy with some scrap 1/4" plate. What Requires a bit more precision is getting the mounts parallel. A straight edge is your friend. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
Side note: When you get that shock mount welded on I would put some regular oil filled stock shocks on that rail. I'm thinking a gas filled may be to stiff for that front end.

I'm thinking about taking the torsion plates out and going with a thru rod and coil-overs. What shock would you all recommend in that case?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:

Gas is way way too stiff but to you know how hard it is to find oil filler shocked these days?

What I discovered by accident when my front end build went a different direction is that the commonly used air shock only really has rebound damping. Compression is just the rubber and air pressure. This makes them darn near perfect for a light buggy where you want the suspension to compress but need enough dampening to prevent the OP's problem.

I run like 40psi in them which is just enough to firm the bladder up.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

gunslingertom wrote:
enjoyther1de wrote:

I'm thinking about taking the torsion plates out and going with a thru rod and coil-overs. What shock would you all recommend in that case?

I almost did this but shied away for two reasons

That 12mm stud isn't designed to carry the weight of the suspension

If you lose a shock the front is going to plow the ground and will be in for a wild ride!

So what I did was I split the difference. I removed the center block from my upper tube, that turned the upper spring pack into a sway bar and removing it from the spring rate overall but allows it to retain the arms. Like a thru rod.

With that done it was a little soft so a pair of air shocks makes up that difference with just a little air. Gas charged shocks were actually too stiff

It rides like a dream now AND handles like it's on rails
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
gunslingertom wrote:
enjoyther1de wrote:

I almost did this but shied away for two reasons

That 12mm stud isn't designed to carry the weight of the suspension

If you lose a shock the front is going to plow the ground and will be in for a wild ride!

So what I did was I split the difference. I removed the center block from my upper tube, that turned the upper spring pack into a sway bar and removing it from the spring rate overall but allows it to retain the arms. Like a thru rod.

With that done it was a little soft so a pair of air shocks makes up that difference with just a little air. Gas charged shocks were actually too stiff

It rides like a dream now AND handles like it's on rails

What shocks did you use?
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on how to cure this problem? Reply with quote

gunslingertom wrote:
enjoyther1de wrote:

I would say that going coil overs is a lot of work just to fix that problem. You could swap a pair of stock arms on there and bolt your kyb gr2 on. I all but guarantee it keeps that wheel hop in check.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: