Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 Westy renovation project thread
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

[/b]1977 Westy: Renovation.

Your help and expertise is appreciated every step of the way .

Idea Question

Here is the beginning !
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please advise on replacement of the engine, I am planning of an AVP engine with hydraulic lifters, I am not a complete purist but am aiming for as closes as I can get without having to adjust the valves every 3000 miles

Thanks for the help
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

looks like a great foundation to start with.. post some pics of everything.. inside and out.. that way they are on forum for referance to go back and look at what you started with
senseless1707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

this is awesome...about to pick up 74 Westy that isn't running. Excited to start the process.
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

By the way this was a free donate vehicle that has been sitting for 11 years, shame on me....how do I get people to respond to questions?? thanks all for the support more pics to come
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Was this free? Looks fairly solid for free.

Is there an engine in it now?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

If you want people to respond to your questions you need to provide the right info. To just say you are not a purist and expect engine recommendation isn't telling us much. How are you going to use this vehicle? Just a drive to the beach once a month to go surfing during the warm months or are you going to be putting several thousand miles a month on it going camping, touring, skiing, etc all over the west?
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

We have a matching 77! Love it and kudos to you for taking on the restoration!

We're going Subaru later this summer for the added reliability and HP. EJ25 with a matching Subaru 5sp transmission (Subarugears kit install by Matt Steedle). Obviously, this goes fully against the purist comment, but if you don't have an engine, it may be a worthy thought to pursue. Otherwise, used stock 2L engine. I don't know anything about other air-cooled options, but lots of others here do. I'm sure they'll chime in with the advice you are seeking. Good luck!
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback ....pics and a better posting to follow....engine is in it but bottom half is blown !
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Okay...I am trying to start with simple stuff , 60 plus photos to come with 100 questions, here is a simple start, I am replacing rear tail lights 1977 Westpahlia 2.0 fuel injected, should I stay stock or are there LED alternatives for the tail lights, I appreciate any response
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Do a search, others have been down this road. You can buy special resisters from your local flaps to make the flashers work correctly with LED's.
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

So I have the correct tires now, rims powder coated nicely.

read some where to be careful on the torque and re-torque of powder coated rims, guys wheel came off at 55mph.

Next step is brakes, rebuild of calipers, been sitting for 12 years, test ball joint play etc. and replacement of shocks. After much reading I am leaning towards the Sachs- Boge standard shocks, not the upgrades, with great tires and decent shocks do I need to upgrade to a heavy duty front sway bar...or wait and see how it rides with new shocks and tires, read Ratwell article on all of this and no clear conclusion... trial and error and $$ is a factor

Thoughts please on the shock choice and the sway bar
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

So I think I am back in action after a very hot summer....104 plus, and of course it will be freezing cold soon, I am going to set up camp outside my house , my wife might find me drunk or frozen. I am trying to keep the steps simple... I am going to disassemble brake caliper and rebuild just for posterity , have the rotors turned a slight, new wheel bearing etc. check ball joints etc. new Boge shocks, recommends on just regular or upgrade...that is my starting point, steering stuff done, long story, Engine coming out and hopefully heading to Sacramento to Justin at Kombi Works

Thought appreciated, bullshit left behind, I am a plumber and I see a lot of shit and recognize it in a minute,,,, taste like chicken looks like corn
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

The rims came out great! Where did you take them and what color did you get?
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Looks just like my Westy when a friend gave it to me in 2005
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
The rims came out great! Where did you take them and what color did you get?

Caps powder coating in Fresno 2 week turn around, 35 per tire and they were pretty rusty and messed up. I was happy let us see how long they last
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
Looks just like my Westy when a friend gave it to me in 2005

What does it look like now ? Green Bay Bus
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

good luck with the build buddy, we are just renovating our '77 Campmobile ourselves Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
good luck with the build buddy, we are just renovating our '77 Campmobile ourselves Smile

I need luck for sure and a lot of dollars, thanks keep on postin'
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

First bath in 15 years, drove it for about three, and blew the engine , sitting for 12 years.

Amazingly the brakes still work and it rolls real well with new tires and powder coated rims, thank God for good neighbors, pushed it about 100 feet down the shared driveway to neighbors garage which they are clearing out so I have a workbench and a decent place to work, hope they don't mind if it is there for another 12 years Razz

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

How do you know that you blew the engine?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: