Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 Westy renovation project thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

popuppopdog wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:
good luck with the build buddy, we are just renovating our '77 Campmobile ourselves Smile

I need luck for sure and a lot of dollars, thanks keep on postin'

Ill do an update in the coming days. I agree entirely on the dollars, they are money pits for sure Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
How do you know that you blew the engine?

I really don't, here is what I do know. 15 years ago a buddy GAVE me this vehicle...it drove fine but for some unknown reason I felt the need to start sprucing up the engine....dumb...for appearances.... I took the engine out and my nephew pulled off a cylinder head and I felt the need to replace the rings....etc. etc., basically I rebuilt part of the upper end...I really knew nothing about vws but had a bentley manual all chewed up, I put it back together and it worked fine, drove it 50 miles to have the valves adjusted , should have done it myself, they I assume were done to spec and real tight, I did no break in of the engine, just jumped in and zoomed away at 65 plus down the free way and big noise and sounded like a engine garbage disposal going on, pulled over and called tow truck...4 kids...and it started raining of course....took it to shop and they said needs rebuild, 4K....so it has sat for 12 years....I just want a new engine and am considering long block from Kombi Haus in Sacramento CA

YOur thoughts
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Was this free? Looks fairly solid for free.

Is there an engine in it now?

Sorry for the late response, yes given to me 15 years ago , free, engine in it and blown.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Have you tried turning it over? Are you sure it's seized? Have you drained the oil and looked at it?
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Why don't you just pull the heads and take a look? See if it rotates with the heads off... maybe it's just top end work and your good to go.
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Have you tried turning it over? Are you sure it's seized? Have you drained the oil and looked at it?

Now you got me thinking, this happened twelve years ago, and basically it sounded like something broke off in the engine , but it ran enough to get me off the freeway and limp down the road 1/2 a mile, and I shut it off. The kids all jumped out and started running through an open field...it started to rain and I waited for the tow truck.

Anything is possible, the shop I took it to said it needed a complete rebuild, 4K, they never took heads off, just two spark plugs and the fan, I assume to manually turn it over, it was not seized when I pulled off the highway so who knows.Guess its time to take the engine out, need to with the fuel injected, checked the Bentley, and pull the heads, what am I looking for?
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Dkwautounion wrote:
Why don't you just pull the heads and take a look? See if it rotates with the heads off... maybe it's just top end work and your good to go.

Now you got me thinking, this happened twelve years ago, and basically it sounded like something broke off in the engine , but it ran enough to get me off the freeway and limp down the road 1/2 a mile, and I shut it off. The kids all jumped out and started running through an open field...it started to rain and I waited for the tow truck.

Anything is possible, the shop I took it to said it needed a complete rebuild, 4K, they never took heads off, just two spark plugs and the fan, I assume to manually turn it over, it was not seized when I pulled off the highway so who knows.Guess its time to take the engine out, need to with the fuel injected, checked the Bentley, and pull the heads, what am I looking for?
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

You don't need to pull the heads to see if it turns over. Pull the plugs and put a shot of oil down each plug hole. Let it sit for a day. Put a socket on the fan hub bolt and see if the engine turns. Being that is been 12 years the piston rings may be hung up with rust. But it may still not be seized. You should drop the engine and look at it much further before getting a rebuilt one in my opinion. I would guess that it may need a rebuild. But why not see if you have a working engine to begin with. Your blindly trusting one shops opinion. Don't get gorrilla crazy with the socket on the hub. You don't want to break anything. Others will chime in on how to test if it turns over. Leave the plugs out when you do it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Once you get it turning over get a good battery and check compression on all four cylinders. That will reveal any valve or big piston/ring problems.

Most sudden road stop engine mechanical breaks are valves.
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Thanks all to those that have put the word in ...so here I am...jacking up this ol girl....I think this is the safest method....tell me I am an idiot and going to die, My wife has an insurance policy on me so....I think this is really stable, did the one side today next is the other side....tips ?, am I a Darwin canididate
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

I hope to God there was no stress put on your door jam. For future reference you can just chalk the front wheels and put quality floor jacks under the rear beam. Then jack up the front in the middle of the front beam and put 2 quality floor jacks on the front beam. Your wooden jack stands would make excellent "fail safes" However now that I think about it your base maybe unstable being that your not on concrete. But in the future do the front then the back. Not one side at a time. There are very specific places these unibody rigs need to be lifted from unless you want crushed steel.
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

[quote="Hoody" and put quality floor jacks under the rear beam. Then jack up the front in the middle of the front beam and put 2 quality floor jacks on the front beam. Not one side at a time. There are very specific places these unibody rigs need to be lifted from unless you want crushed steel.[/quote]

Interesting enough that is my same thought, I went to the rear jacking point but it lifted the whole side....worked out fine. I have now jacked up all sides , 8 inches in the air, seem to be really safe and will not move unless we get a San Andreas. I do not really trust jack stands as their jacking points are minimal. This vehicle is sitting on its own wheels on a 16" x 24" base with wheel chocks, looks good to me, I am on concrete slab btw.
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Okay I got this thing up 8" in the air, thinking maybe higher if I work to clean up undercarriage, I don't have a lift....so we are getting ready to pull the engine got my blocks which I think only an earthquake could move this vehicle, my wife has an insurance policy, see she made me put a tie off to another vehicle so I would not tip this vehicle jacking up, is there a tipping point, don't want to find out.

I got a nice shag rug to lay on and let us begin....I think a rebuild...have some great advice on this site here is what I saw, virtually rust free undercarriage and some oil leaks

I don't mean to be dumb is this the fuel filter

Let the games begin.. of course work at night is a must

and it must be below 50
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Hopefully your tranny has not been run dry of oil, the old "it used to leak but doesn't any more" story.

Yes that is your fuel filter, hate to think what it looks like inside.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

popuppopdog wrote:

I don't mean to be dumb is this the fuel filter

Yes it is.
(sold - but not forgotten)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I would much much rather have a vehicle with its tires supported by blocks than have a vehicle with its wheels removed and sitting on jack stands. I all but refuse to wrench on a vehicle if it is sitting on four jack stands. Just too easy for things to slide around when the contact is steel on steel and once things start sliding it's no telling what is going to happen.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Damn dude, your rims look great. Put some shiny hub caps on it and that thing will look like a million bucks. One thing that isn't so great is those fresh rollers bolted up to rusty drums. That rust is going to tattoo the back sides of your rim discs with funky orange Sad Maybe scrub those babies down and get a clean face on them, then hit 'em with a thin coat of black Wink It does look like at least one rotor is black, hopefully it's clean under the wheel.
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Damn dude, your rims look great. Put some shiny hub caps on it and that thing will look like a million bucks. One thing that isn't so great is those fresh rollers bolted up to rusty drums. That rust is going to tattoo the back sides of your rim discs with funky orange Sad Maybe scrub those babies down and get a clean face on them, then hit 'em with a thin coat of black Wink It does look like at least one rotor is black, hopefully it's clean under the wheel.

That was my plan, I am going to check the rotors, and see if they need turning,
but also rebuild everything and paint certain parts with appropriate paints that I have researched ;...more later, got any suggestions on hubcap vendor
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
For what it's worth, I would much much rather have a vehicle with its tires supported by blocks than have a vehicle with its wheels removed and sitting on jack stands. I all but refuse to wrench on a vehicle if it is sitting on four jack stands. Just too easy for things to slide around when the contact is steel on steel and once things start sliding it's no telling what is going to happen.

I totally agree nice chocked wheels on a large flat surface of blocking on concrete, the only way to go , jackstands to me are sketchy they never catch much surface area, I always want a back up though depending on the job, thanks for the input
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westy renovation project thread Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Damn dude, your rims look great. Put some shiny hub caps on it and that thing will look like a million bucks. .

Thanks for the input and been thinking about doing things right....I would like to have stainless lug nuts, why , I don't know why except everything I replace on my bus I go stainless...rust never sleeps...still looking for stainless lug nuts. I am almost inclined to buy new rotors cause mine are rusted and never drive in the rain ...haha that wont work...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: