Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

best way to paint slightly rusted vw body
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

What's the best way to paint a slightly rusty vw body? I'm looking for something that drys really hard and has the color beneath a bit of a clear coat,(or something like it)

With all of the talk on epoxys resins enamels acrylics ect it can get confusing.

What's the best way to paint a vw bug body to prevent rust?

Does rustoleum auto body clear coat prevent rust? Its not apart of their stop rust line ?

Last edited by greggl4321 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

It does get confusing because there is not one answer. Nor is there on product that will do it all.

The answer depends on your constraints really.

Backyard, shop, drive way, paint booth, diy, pay someone?
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

I'm a backyardser slash DIY

Looking to stop rust. Not sure if the best thing to do is primer paint and clear coat. Not sure what I need, wanting to go with rustoleum products.

Not sure what goes on after the paint, or even which paint to use. For some reason urethanes are interesting me (is that what gives a thick clear coat)
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

Post some pics of what you have.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

I'd suggest the Masterseries / Rustbullet type product as your first "layer" over any rust areas. On top of that and any other preped areas you can also use a DTM epoxy primer, or If you are going to with Rust-Oleum then their product.

I'd look away from Rust-Oleum, I'd look into an Acrylic Laquer. Neither will last like a polyurethane, but with any painting safety should be your number one concern.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

You first need to address the rust before you just cover over it. I'd start by sanding the rust down to get it smooth, treat with phosphoric acid (Ospho or medal prep) to stop and encapsulate the rust, then a good primer like epoxy 2k or Master Series Sliver. Then you can body work and top coat with which ever product you want.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
You first need to address the rust before you just cover over it. I'd start by sanding the rust down to get it smooth, treat with phosphoric acid (Ospho or medal prep) to stop and encapsulate the rust, then a good primer like epoxy 2k or Master Series Sliver. Then you can body work and top coat with which ever product you want.

Absolutely! Treat any rust with phosphoric acid. To me that part goes without saying, so I just forgot about it.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

Phosphoric acid can be used to treat very thin rust or remove thicker rust. Rust bullet has a test where Cold Zinc Compound is 2nd to their product. I believe urethane's require more than just a face mask and ventilation to use so they are not within bounds for a DIY paint job. Correct me if I'm wrong on the last statement. There are a few water based auto paints in the U.S that has performance like urethane's but is not as common as Europe.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

Right, I believe strongly the isocyanates in urethane are inappropriate to be used outside of a paint booth. They pose a risk not just for the user but anyone or anything in the area. 3m won't even suggest an appropriate filter for their cartridge respirators, they only suggest fresh air masks for use with isocyanates.

There's really not much out there with the performance of urethane. MCUs (Moisture Cure Urethane) like Masterseries, POR 15, or Rustbullet are a good bit less toxic when applied by brush, but still should be treated with respect.

Single stage Acrylic Enamel also uses a isocyanate based hardener.

Your really only based with Lacquers and Alkyds like Rustolium. There are waterborne paints like auto air colors but they need to be topped with a urethane clear. Unless I'm missing something, that's pretty much all the common options.
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

What about epoxy resin?
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

Sprayable Epoxy Coatings like a DTM Epoxy primer/surfacer/sealers?

They are a catalyzed product, but the chemistry is different than urethanes and a good respirator, a paint suit, and goggles are safe enough to spray it outside.

You really should research the particular product you intend on using. MSDS and TDS will tell you what you need to know.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

I'm currently looking into finding a better solution to spray paint that does not hold up against salt exposure on painting parts or small areas. Zero Rust does not neutralize rust in my experience but does dry hard. I'm thinking of keeping some on hand and using it instead of rattle cans using a touchUp spray gun.

Here are the webpages for it if anyone is interested. They claim it is pretty safe.

http://www.zero-rust.com/uploads/5/0/9/7/50972919/zr-application-guide_4_.pdf

http://www.zero-rust.com/zero-rust-products.html
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

Dtm ? I think that's it.
Looking for a epoxy that'll go on rust metal, perhaps think layers of existing paint.

Are there colored epoxy primers and then clearcoat epoxy clear coats?

Can epoxy clear coat go over rustoleum? Epoxy will get really really hard too won't it?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

So you want to paint over rust? This makes zero sense.
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

Why not? People likely can't always get it all. There are paints for it and I think they block the rust from getting oxygen and spreading. Won't any paint act as a rust encapsulator?

How come the rusteum paint job doesn't start off with a primer?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

Paint over rust products can only tolerate maybe .005" of surface rust so 99% of the rust has to be removed. In a dry environment painting over rust might last 3 or more years but if the car see's rain it will show rust much sooner.
From what I have read epoxies are more dangerous than urethanes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

I suggest you get some professional training in paint and body. Nobody that knows anything paints over rust. Very Happy
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

Post pics of what you want to paint.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I suggest you get some professional training in paint and body. Nobody that knows anything paints over rust. Very Happy

x2

sand blast, epoxy, top coat and wait 30 more years before you have to worry about it again. if it's not in your budget to do it right, it will always come back

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: best way to paint slightly rusted vw body Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

x2

sand blast, epoxy, top coat and wait 30 more years before you have to worry about it again. if it's not in your budget to do it right, it will always come back

I think the OP may be confused because of products like POR15 that may work to a degree on chassis and frame components. Professionals always go down to bare metal for several reasons the first being to totally expose and reveal any previous repairs and to remove any and all corrosion. Only then can you begin to do your repairs and seal body using a good epoxy primer. You would then do the tedious and time consuming block and sand perhaps using a high build primer to get it all straight. Most importantly you use a combination of materials that are compatible with each other. Almost all paint failures are traced back to improper preparation or using materials which are not compatible. If you want to shortcut and just cover things up don't be surprised when the rust pops back through. It costs more to repair shitty repairs eventually because someone halfassed it. Probably not the answer you are looking for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: