Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

USB outlets in dash
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

So the wife and I are currently outfitting our new-to-us 2002 Winnebago Vista, and I'm sittin there looking at all the blanked-out ports in the dash where the heated seats, defrost, etc switches would go. I'm thinking.. gee, it would be swell if someone made a USB power outlet that would pop in place of one of these blanks..
I check the forums here.. nothing found
check the usual vendors.. nothing found..
Checked eBay.. hmm.. this says it fits a T4.. but looks iffy..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Suv-12-24V-3-1A-Dual-U...mp;vxp=mtr

anyone tried one? I suppose for the $$ I could just risk it..

Thx
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

Here's another one but it has dimensions that you could measure out to see if it would click in. It has a blue voltage readout and two male spades on the back. Plus it's 4.2A:

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-voltmeter-Carling-sw...ize+cutout
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
Here's another one but it has dimensions that you could measure out to see if it would click in. It has a blue voltage readout and two male spades on the back. Plus it's 4.2A:

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-voltmeter-Carling-sw...ize+cutout

Saw that one on eBay too..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Dual-USB-Car-Marine-Bo...mp;vxp=mtr

thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

Since I have one of those rectangle blocks left in my dash, I can fill it with one but will wait for you to do it first to see if it works. Buy one and let us know how it works out. It could be an easy upgrade or maybe not.

By last count, I have 7 USB ports in the EV, so two more would just add to what I can plug in.
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

Here's an interesting one from the UK:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Transporter-T5-Campervan-4x-Switches-Voltmeter-2-1A-USB/221921437721
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this too, for both the cab area and also by the Weekender rear seat where there's already a 12V cigarette lighter plug.

@stl_stadtroller, if you end up installing one of these, please update us w/how it worked out + pics. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
formerknuckledragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

We've got this little guy in the cigarette lighter: http://a.co/as9BBR4

It's flush with the dash, can be swapped to the rear outlet easily, and is pretty cheap.

One downside - it makes an audible high-pitch whining noise that can be heard when the engine is off (or, for OCD folks like myself, even when driving).
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

I have a dual USB plugged in my cigarette lighter. My radio has a USB port in the front and I have an iPhone cable coming out of the rear. Then two dual USB's in the rear 12v ports. That's a total of 7 USB ports plus the iPhone cable. We have lots of USB powered stuff but I've never filled all 7 of them. I could put another one in that last 12V port and have 9 USB ports. I have the inverter and a 6 gang USB in my house. So, I could have up to 15. Is that enough?
eurovank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

formerknuckledragger wrote:
We've got this little guy in the cigarette lighter: http://a.co/as9BBR4

It's flush with the dash, can be swapped to the rear outlet easily, and is pretty cheap.

One downside - it makes an audible high-pitch whining noise that can be heard when the engine is off (or, for OCD folks like myself, even when driving).

I use the same thing in all of my cigarette lighter ports in my EVC. That gives me 6 USB total. So far that's been sufficient.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
I have a dual USB plugged in my cigarette lighter. My radio has a USB port in the front and I have an iPhone cable coming out of the rear. Then two dual USB's in the rear 12v ports. That's a total of 7 USB ports plus the iPhone cable. We have lots of USB powered stuff but I've never filled all 7 of them. I could put another one in that last 12V port and have 9 USB ports. I have the inverter and a 6 gang USB in my house. So, I could have up to 15. Is that enough?

Lets see - 7 passengers and and iPhone+Ipad for each is 14 USB ports.

I make it you have one extra.
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

I'm familiar with the round USB plug-ins, and have a few myself. I'm hoping to find something a little more elegant than that.. and also something that provides more Amperage..

Also Winnebago has the dashboard 12v socket wired to the coach battery, so it's hot all the time.

A separate, fitted, in-dash USB outlet that's keyed-hot would be useful.. most of these devices have built-in LED illumination which would be annoying at night, and also drain the battery over storage intervals.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

stl_stadtroller wrote:
I'm familiar with the round USB plug-ins, and have a few myself. I'm hoping to find something a little more elegant than that.. and also something that provides more Amperage..

Also Winnebago has the dashboard 12v socket wired to the coach battery, so it's hot all the time.

A separate, fitted, in-dash USB outlet that's keyed-hot would be useful.. most of these devices have built-in LED illumination which would be annoying at night, and also drain the battery over storage intervals.

Over the storage intervals in question, you would trickle charge your battery, or disconnect it. An LED indicator will pull about 10 mA, not enough to worry about. If you have 14 or 15 of them, a trickle charger would still keep up

You can source them without LEDs too.

You could wire in a switch to let you cut power to the sockets as well - a fused switch would even be better.

All ideas good - just throwing them out there.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

stl_stadtroller wrote:
most of these devices have built-in LED illumination which would be annoying at night

My main reason for adding a switch.

Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
stl_stadtroller wrote:
most of these devices have built-in LED illumination which would be annoying at night

My main reason for adding a switch.

or piece of black electrical tape

Very Happy
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

Unless you like to chain smoke while you're driving, that flush mount 12v/USB can't be beat. Simple, clean, reversible, transferable.

You can use blanked buttons for things like adding heated seats (if you don't have them) or doing the B5 passat hazard switch for trans temp gauge mod.

jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

The lighter might not be usable because when I bought my Alltrack, they were giving away these 12V VW rechargeable mini flashlights (it actually works pretty well):
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:

You can use blanked buttons for things like adding heated seats (if you don't have them) or doing the B5 passat hazard switch for trans temp gauge mod.

ooh... that's pretty nifty..
can yo share the specs? what y/m that switch come from? is it a direct changeover or is there rewiring involved?
what gauge is that and how do you have the sender installed?
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

stl_stadtroller wrote:
Itsamoto wrote:

can yo share the specs? what y/m that switch come from? is it a direct changeover or is there rewiring involved?

The hazard switch is pulled out from a B5 passat (My-98-05) -- all you need to do is cut off a plastic alignment tab/pin off the back and it's plug and play to the Eurovan harness.

The gauge is from New South Performance - its a colour matching gauge for blue/indigo cluster VW's - and comes with a metric thread sender that fits the trans' pressure port (an unused port). This is measuring trans temp - but you could use any gauge you want (this one just lights up nicely).
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
stl_stadtroller wrote:
Itsamoto wrote:

The hazard switch is pulled out from a B5 passat (My-98-05) -- all you need to do is cut off a plastic alignment tab/pin off the back and it's plug and play to the Eurovan harness.

The gauge is from New South Performance - its a colour matching gauge for blue/indigo cluster VW's - and comes with a metric thread sender that fits the trans' pressure port (an unused port). This is measuring trans temp - but you could use any gauge you want (this one just lights up nicely).

That's not where you place a gauge if you want to go all JDM on your Eurovan. You mount them on the A pillar and then add in some other gauges (i.e when the v-tec kicks in). To finish it off, put a bunch of stickers on the front and rear window at an angle.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: USB outlets in dash Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
Unless you like to chain smoke while you're driving, that flush mount 12v/USB can't be beat. Simple, clean, reversible, transferable.

That's nice! I need to do something like that for EGT.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: