Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What 5 wide wheels are these, and thoughts on adaptors
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frizbal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: What 5 wide wheels are these, and thoughts on adaptors Reply with quote

I LOVE these wheels and the 5 wide look, and am looking at putting them on my buggy. They are slightly different than the typical 5 star, but I can't find them online. Anyone seen them before?

Also, I have 4 lug on my buggy. I've seen the 4 lug adaptor to 5 wide that is a flat drilled plate. Anyone have experience with these? How do you bolt on the outer 5 lug pattern to the wheels... double nut and stud?

It also looks like I would not be able to run hub caps like this with the center 4 lugs?

I currently run 4 to 5 chevy adaptors and need to get rid of them and the current wheels as they are both warped and give me a nice bounce.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: What 5 wide wheels are these, and thoughts on adaptors Reply with quote

If your talking about this adapter:

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/4266.htm

They are tapped for the VW 12mm thread. They will work with the factory 67-earlier acorn nuts or you can purchase the aftermarket 12mm studs also sold by CB Perf.

If you have front disc brakes(Ghia) then you will need a 3/8" spacer for the adapters to clear the caliper. This also means extra long 14mm acorn type bolts or 14mm studs(best option) to bolt the adapters to the rotors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frizbal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: What 5 wide wheels are these, and thoughts on adaptors Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, the one I was looking at didn't state whether it was tapped or not. Mine is a '69 beetle pan, but may look to an additional spacer anyway. Right now I have the empi adaptors that give me an inch of spacing and I like the look. Looking at the adaptor you linked, will only gain at most 1/4" or so (thickness of the plate).

Have you used these before? Curious if anyone has had bad experience like the empi cast aluminum ones I have.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What 5 wide wheels are these, and thoughts on adaptors Reply with quote

I'm using them now on a 73 Thing sitting on a 67 Ghia chassis by previous owner with the 4x130mm pattern. I am using these adapters to install a set of 17" BRM with the wide 5 pattern.

Also have a 67 bus with Porsche 944 disc brakes which have the 5x130mm pattern. I installed the same 17" BRM wheels on it using the same style adapters going from Porsche to wide 5. This adapter is about 3/8" thick.

I prefer the threaded studs using loc tight with these adapters whenever possible. It maybe my imagination but I feel like the studs are more secure rather than stress on the adapter threads of the constant on/off of acorn bolts every time you remove/install the wheel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What 5 wide wheels are these, and thoughts on adaptors Reply with quote

Frizbal wrote:
Thanks for the response, the one I was looking at didn't state whether it was tapped or not. Mine is a '69 beetle pan, but may look to an additional spacer anyway. Right now I have the empi adaptors that give me an inch of spacing and I like the look. Looking at the adaptor you linked, will only gain at most 1/4" or so (thickness of the plate).

Have you used these before? Curious if anyone has had bad experience like the empi cast aluminum ones I have.

This adapter is actually 3/8" thick. Just measured the one on the thing. The on for the bus is 1/2" thick.
Nikolodeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What 5 wide wheels are these, and thoughts on adaptors Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Frizbal wrote:

This adapter is actually 3/8" thick. Just measured the one on the thing. The on for the bus is 1/2" thick.

Could I install these on my 4 lug disc brakes on my 70 bug without using any spacers? Are these adapters safe to run?
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: What 5 wide wheels are these, and thoughts on adaptors Reply with quote

I've run them for years w/o issue. You may have a clearance issue with the adapter hitting the caliper requiring a spacer assuming you are using a Ghia caliper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: