Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
You should try spraying it for sure.
Do you know what your going to spray it with? A direct to metal material I hope!

I'd like to learn how to spray a car properly. For the first one I just need to primer it since I need the body shop to make some patches for the areas around the rear windows next to the vents. They are rusted out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

Cool. You may want to use epoxy primer that is designed to go on bare metal. Most primers aren't made for that.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Cool. You may want to use epoxy primer that is designed to go on bare metal. Most primers aren't made for that.

I did not know that. I thought there might be some type of issue with it. Thanks for pointing that out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Quote:
it is mostly incapable of covering a big enough area in a short enough amount of time to allow for heat buildup.

It's not the heat it's the collision of the sand against the metal similar to a miniature hammer hitting the metal a countless amount of times. The metal is stretched out.

I can't comment intelligently on your statement because I lack first hand experience at the moment.
Many posts on this thread have suggested having the body media blasted professionally, which is considered an acceptable and common practice; the other option being chemical stripping either by means of paint stripper or "dipping." It is my understanding that it is very easy to warp panels if the "professional" doing the blasting hits the metal at too sharp an angle or lingers in an area for too long. I also understand that sand is too aggressive and other media such as glass (what I am using and recommended above) or walnut shells are preferred for their softer touch. Heat buildup is the cause most often cited for the warping during media blasting due to the force and volume of commercial blasters. Dustless blasters are cited as being safer due to the cooling effect of the water used to control the dust. Are you arguing against blasting in general or just DIY/home blasting? Could you kindly elaborate and add any alternative solutions for rust and paint removal? I respectfully ask solely in the pursuit of information.

...we're all in this together.
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

I would never advise any DIYer to do their own blasting. I've simply seen too many people really jack up cars doing it. Even some that have had experience. If I were to recommend something that is less likely to crest problems it would be to use aircraft stripper. Maybe even use an aircraft stripper and then very lightly blast it. Either way in would find a way to strip it before blasting. You can also use a rotary buffer with the appropriate backing plate and an agressive grit paper to strip it first. Still for me a novice with a blaster scares the crap out of me.
I understand that not everyone can afford it, but the dust less blasting seems to be the most logical. It even puts a chemical on that will give you time to get something on it before it rusts. Regular blasting will not. I've seen cars start to rust before the guy is even done sand blasting a car. Time is not on your side when blasting. Also sand blasting makes a huge mess and there is a dust cloud when doing it. Not something you would want to do in a residential area.
I'm guessing you would be looking at about a grand or maybe just a bit more for dust less blasting inside and out.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
buguy wrote:

I did not know that. I thought there might be some type of issue with it. Thanks for pointing that out.

If you end up doing it yourself you may want to use a high build poly primer that is made for direct to metal use. It will help you get closer to straight more easily /quickly. Something like Evercoat superbuild.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
I would never advise any DIYer to do their own blasting. I've simply seen too many people really jack up cars doing it.

What are the pitfalls?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

A couple of fine threads:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7619741&highlight=#7619741

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7538990&highlight=#7538990
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

Wow, thank you for that.

I think I might take it very slow and low pressure then. How about if I use a water hose spraying the car to keep it cool while blasting it? Has anyone tried any cooling methods while sand blasting?

theKbStockpiler wrote:
A couple of fine threads:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7619741&highlight=#7619741

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7538990&highlight=#7538990
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

Water and sand is going to be a whole different kind of a mess. It will also keep you from sweeping up and re-using product. Go for it, dont spend too much time in one spot, you will get the feel as you see paint/rust coming off.
Over-thinking is over rated. Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

^^^^^ Yeah, that.
Keep the pressure as low as possible and angle the nozzle to reduce the force of media impact. Go slow and pay close attention to the metal.

C21darrel knows of what he speaks. He's done this one or twice.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

I had to cancel my order with Northern Tool. They wanted $85 to deliver. I am not paying $85 to drop the package off the back of the truck.

So, I placed my order with Amazon instead and then sent them a note to cancel the order if I have to pay a lift gate fee when they arrive.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

Heavy items that need a lift gate will be shipped on a pallet, so they can move them with a pallet jack. You'll pay shipping on the weight of the pallet too.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Heavy items that need a lift gate will be shipped on a pallet, so they can move them with a pallet jack. You'll pay shipping on the weight of the pallet too.

I am fine with that. The part that gets me is the fact that they will drive it to the door but then charge you to unload it to the ground and $85 to boot.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

Some things you should be aware of:

Unless you have a forklift I don't see how you are going to get out of a lift-gate fee. If you don't want to pay the fee you should be able to pick the item up at the shippers terminal If they have a dock that is compatible with the height of your vehicle.

Amazon is like Paypal where they will settle a dispute if the seller agrees to it. They don't have a court or a judge type of thing. Laughing If the seller gives them resistance then you have a big problem. I would not count on Amazon to do the right thing even if you are undeniably in the right.

If the shipping container has so much as a dent or mark in it ,demand that you unpackage it and inspect it ,before you sign for it. On expensive items no one want's to take responsibility for it if it arrives damaged. It's actually not the sellers responsibility after the shipper picks it up. The ownership is passed to the buyer when the shipper takes responsibility of it. Confused

I don't know if this is appealing but HomeDepot stocks 3hp 60gallon compressors or can order you a Puma. They have forklifts to load it on your vehicle or for $20 you can rent one of their trucks and use the built in ramps to slide it down, in my locale anyways.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

They got me again. There is a special note on the amazon page. So misleading. Free shipping but to get it from the truck to the street is $85.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

What about TSC supply? They still stock big compressors where I live.Have you looked at the reviews on some of the compressors? Some have very poor ratings. Crying or Very sad
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

Do they have Craigslist in your area?
I picked up my 220V/60 Gal/7 HP compressor for $220, was almost new. Picked up with my old 4 runner. It took me longer to add the circuit and wire it up to my elec panel than anything else.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by c21darrel on Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

I called Northern Tool. Evil_Fiz helped me out with a coupon code and got the lift gate reduced to $35. Thanks Evil_Fiz!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting - Harbor Freight Compressor Reply with quote

I received my compressor. It's as tall as I am.

Now to find a place for it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: