Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

low back seats for 69 fastback
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

I want a pair of low-backs for my 69 fasty. What seats do I look for that will work in my car? i see some from earlier type 3's, (mid 60's). Will those work?

T-roy
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

If you have the high backs you can cut them down. I did it with mine for my squareback. TMI has a video on youtube on how to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

yes, any type 3 lowback will work. they have the same base

Get the 67 ones if you can, they have the lever on the side to fold it forward, instead of just the cable on the floor that attaches at the door
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

do the seats from a 69 fastback fit into a 73 fastback?
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

real questions is if the rails are the same so that the 69 seats will fit the 73 rails?
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

the 73 have the 3 point mounting for the seats don't they?
that would be the same as early VW water cooled seats with a little "adjusting"

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

The seats changed part way through the 72 model year. I think it was in April 1972, but I'm not positive. Regardless, 69 and 73 seats are not compatible.
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
yes, any type 3 lowback will work. they have the same base

Get the 67 ones if you can, they have the lever on the side to fold it forward, instead of just the cable on the floor that attaches at the door

What lever? I have a 67 but just have the slider lever and recliner knob on the side. Maybe my car was before this cut over in the 67 model year?
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

I think Erik G is referring to the spring loaded catch underneath on the outer seat rail that you use to tilt the seat back forward when the cable releases are missing/dysfunctional.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

correct

this started in 67. not sure when or where

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Murcia34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

Hello all, I have a 69 type 3 fastback I'm restoring. It came with high back seats which I like just fine. I found new 69 type 3 seats for a squareback and it specifically says will not fit a fast or notchback. Why wouldn't 69 squareback front seats not fit a fast or notchback? They look the same to me.
ibldrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

Murcia34 wrote:
Hello all, I have a 69 type 3 fastback I'm restoring. It came with high back seats which I like just fine. I found new 69 type 3 seats for a squareback and it specifically says will not fit a fast or notchback. Why wouldn't 69 squareback front seats not fit a fast or notchback? They look the same to me.

The back seats are different, but the fronts will fit.
'67 Squareback

2003 Jetta "Variant" TDI
2008 Passat Wagon 2.0

1500 Build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7904818&highlight=#7904818
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

ibldrc wrote:
Murcia34 wrote:

The back seats are different, but the fronts will fit.

Yup, as the owner of a Notchback and a Fastback, along with previously owning a Square the rear seat of a Square is narrower than the Notch/Fastback rear seat. The fronts interchange from 61 thru 71. 72 is where things change as mid 72 VW went to 3 point seats. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
papichuito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

Is some have done, like me on my 69 Fastback. I got thin wall tubbing(I got a lot left if you need any) and cutted the hump and welded the straight tubbing. Had the local interior guy do my seats on tweet and they look great
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: low back seats for 69 fastback Reply with quote

papichuito wrote:
Is some have done, like me on my 69 Fastback. I got thin wall tubbing(I got a lot left if you need any) and cutted the hump and welded the straight tubbing. Had the local interior guy do my seats on tweet and they look great

I did that on my 71 Notch. Unfortunately, I ordered the wrong seat covers for the front,and had to stuff the corners with towels to make them look correct. If I were to do it over, I'd order the 64 and earlier style covers from TMI, since their "cut off years" are wrong.
In my case I used a bug shift rod to weld into the back rest to replace the head rest hoop. The shift rod was the same size as the seat tubing. Pics of this are in my 71 Notch build thread.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: