Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any ideas whats causing this diff noise?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

This is with the rear wheels off the ground just spinning them by hand. Pretty terrible noise. Any idea what might be causing it?

Trans is a swingaxle, superdiff, race axles and has around 1000 miles on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evvQek2srDI&feature=youtu.be
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

I can't hear it for the noise of the exhaust, but it sounds good, and looks good too. Someone with better hearing will come along.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

Haha - thanks Howard - I hope you're keeping well since we spoke .

The motor is not running in the video!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

Don't drive it. Drain the gear oil and look for chunks. The noise is spider gears or fulcrum plates or ring & pinion gear. If the car has been lowered a lot that it might be wheel bearings but probably not.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

Dave - the car is stock height at the rear. I'm going to drain the fluid and take the trans out. I did have the car out for 10 miles or so and noticed this noise when I came back to the shop
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

Sorry, I had the volume too high, and it sounded like the engine was sputtering. Yes, you need to find out what's going on with it. Good luck!
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

Super diffs are notorious for poor quality, and poor internal oiling.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

OK - what would be the best alternative? A Quaife or something? If I decide to put a swingaxle Quaife in it, do the normal paddle axles just go straight in or is there other stuff that has to be done?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

Straight in. There was a thread some time back (Dawn's bug) that detailed Ray Vallero's mods for unsuper diffs.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jg405i
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

DO NOT TAKE IT TO WRIGHT TRANSMISSION. Sad
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

Gears, how much power can the 10/15 tooth swing diff handle? I know you side it did better than the 11/17 super diff in off road.

There are two sets of 15 tooth side gears in the classifieds right now and Weddle even has some stock on used ones, so it's still an option to convert back to the stock diff and 15 tooth gears.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

That's absolutely what I would do over a SD. Stock diff, dual circlips, 10/15 spiders/side gears.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

So you wouldn't run a super diff at all? This is a street car with approx 185hp...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

It's not power it's TORQUE
Traction, vehicle weight & clutch
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
It's not power it's TORQUE
Traction, vehicle weight & clutch

OK well I run a Kennedy Stage 2, car weight 1780lbs, treaded radials only - no slicks - and around 177lb/ft torque. I'm thinkig I might just get a Quaife put in there
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

Super Diffs need to be modified by adding additional oiling holes. Take your transaxle to somebody that knows about them.

A stage 2 PP is too big for your car with street tires. You will just break the transaxle and probably why you broke the transaxle to begin with. A stage 1 PP should be all you need.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

vwracerdave, the trans was built by Kevin @ KCR and he advised me to go with a Stage 2....
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

I think you'd be ok with the diff as Gears says. Just don't run a four puck, they grab harder in second than first Shocked
Quaife is very nice unit IMO, but watch out for understeer on slippery surfaces.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I think you'd be ok with the diff as Gears says. Just don't run a four puck, they grab harder in second than first Shocked
Quaife is very nice unit IMO, but watch out for understeer on slippery surfaces.

Thanks Modok - you mean this that Gears suggested - stock diff, dual circlips, 10/15 spiders/side gears.

I run a Daikin disc - I didn't want a four puck for the exact reason you stated.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ideas whats causing this diff noise? Reply with quote

Yes. i have seen the late IRS diff handle a LOT, with the coarser tooth gears, so it makes sense it's possible.
You could also cryo and then temper the gears, which does not help a TON, but it doesn't cost much either.

I do not know if there is differences in the strength of the diff housings, but that also could be a concern. Need to hold the gears in proper alignment, thus the dual clips, and so forth. Seen diff housings break...... but not sure if that was before or after the gears exploded. Food for thought.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: