Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Soft Top gone 8(
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Soft Top gone 8( Reply with quote

Well I just had a nasty shock. Went by my mechanics shop to check the status of my long delayed repair to my soft top (after he accidentally drove it out of his shop unlatched, and it bent the frame) only to find it's missing. And at first he did not even recall having it then he was unsure what happened to it (a Factory Original Soft Top). I have been going to this guy for over 40 years and have left things with him for extended periods before but this is a new one. Just priced new and used Soft tops and discovered I am truly screwed. There is no way I can afford a new one from "The Thing Shop" and used OG are even more expensive (only 1 in Canada and it's local pickup only). At best i'm looking at $300.00 - $500.00 for a frame and then i get the fun of trying to make an expensive crappy aftermarket cover fit, or pay through the nose for a used OG cover.

This sucks, I moved mountains to get this car ready to be a daily driver, this is a major show stopper for me after all that work.

I don't suppose anyone in socal has a reasonably priced soft top they are looking to sell and are willing to take pity on me?

74 Thing
72 Bay Window Westy TinTop
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft Top gone 8( Reply with quote

Call the police, make a report and get a new mechanic. Maybe he has insurance? Check with your insurance too regarding the theft. At the very least a case in small claims court may be warranted.
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft Top gone 8( Reply with quote

Well, looks like things are working out, my mechanic is wiping out an $800.00 debt i owed him and paying for 1/2 of a replacement Top & Frame, hopefully if all goes well ill have it installed next Saturday!

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Soft Top gone 8( Reply with quote

Advice needed!

Managed to get a Frame from my mechanic that seems too long and has 2 sets of holes for the pivot (?) and located another complete top that turned out to be severely bowed along the driver and passenger top bars (perhaps why I was able to make it fit with difficulty for the drive home?) both are out of alignment and will need straightening (headed to the press on Saturday!)

The first frame has some oddities, this is the one I got from my mechanic...

The Top Bar is bent upwards in 2 places and unevenly...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rail on the passenger side is only slightly out of alignment and the driver side is a bit more pronounced...

Here is the real oddity,there are 2 holes at the pivot point (yet the second neither fits nor would it work if it did due to geometry,I would be stuck in the "Top Up position and would have to change holes for it to fold down...

The 2nd Frame came with a Vinyl Top (being repaired at the moment) and has been heavily welded and repaired but seems to fit better (probably due to the severe bowing), there is only 1 bend in the top bar (above the driver)...

As you can see the bowing is much more severe on this one but still repairable...

I am beginning to wonder if my windshield geometry is off. I have to unlatch the bottom windshield latches to get either top on, and even with that neither pegs go completely into the holes. Is the Windshield adjustable at all? It seems my curtains match the door and the windshield perfect so I am uncertain that would help in any way either.

Ill post pics of each top mounted and the windshield / peg issue as soon as i can get back out in the heat!

My continued thanks to all for for your ongoing support!
-sjhotz

74 Thing
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft Top gone 8( Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
I have to unlatch the bottom windshield latches to get either top on, and even with that neither pegs go completely into the holes.

I have always (for over 30 years) unlatched my windshield to align the pegs. Why struggle with it when unlatching the windshield makes it easy?
Once it's all clamped up, my windshield angle is a good match for the side curtains.

The windshield base does have a small amount of adjustability, but changing its position might require a compensating adjustment of the trunk lid hinges. On a painted car, this might leave some scars.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Soft Top gone 8( Reply with quote

Thanks Mondshine,

Just got the Vinyl back from my upholstery guy, man she looks ten times better!

Frame straightening & installing gauges in dash tomorrow!

Anyone know what size the black rivets are for my soft top?

-sjhotz

74 Thing
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Soft Top gone 8( Reply with quote

The rivet are two piece type. The Thing Shop has these.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Soft Top gone 8( Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1505780
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft Top gone 8( Reply with quote

The Thing Shop has the full set for top and side clips for under $13.00.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft Top gone 8( Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like my top restore is well underway! I'll post pics of the finished product.

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft Top gone 8( Reply with quote

Top is done and installed!

Some extra material after vinyl repair at bow, don't think it will be an issue with shedding rain water, time will tell!

Riveting was actually easier using a C-clamp and slowly squeezing rivets together (helps if your bow isn't perfectly flat like mine was).

All in all quite pleased with the results!

-sjhotz

74 Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: