Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another brake warning light question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Another brake warning light question Reply with quote

73 -- Brake warning light is always on, unless I press the brake, then it turns off. Wiring appears correct, looking for ideas on how to trouble shoot.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Another brake warning light question Reply with quote

I've waited days to reply to this hoping that someone more knowledgeable would chime in. My understanding of the brake light switches is not crystal clear.

If I understand correctly, there are two ways that the brake warning lamp may be lit. The first of course is by means of one of the brake lamp switches. The second is by means of a blue wire with the brake warning lamp on one end and the voltage regulator at the other. In this second case, the voltage regulator sends voltage to the brake warning lamp when the key switch is on but the engine is off. This is for the purpose of a bulb check.

So, as far as trouble shooting goes, first I would see if while the engine is running the blue wire is energized. That would indicate a fault in the voltage regulator.

If it is not energized, then the fault may be in one of the brake lamp switches. Unplug each one in turn to see if the warning lamp goes out to identify which is bad. Take note of which wire goes where beforehand.

Hope that helps.

Maybe someone could explain the function of the red and black wires as they relate to the brake warning lamp. There seems to be one always hot wire, two sometimes hot wires, and a ground at the lamp, and I'm unsure of how they work.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake warning light question Reply with quote

Thanks. I.l give it ater and report back
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Another brake warning light question Reply with quote

My brake warning light has not worked since I got my car, and maybe it's time it should. What suggestions does the collective have on checking/making this happen? I just replaced both switches, so that shouldn't be the problem./
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Another brake warning light question Reply with quote

I had the same issue. I found out that the original master cylinder brake sensors with 3 prongs that the Thing mounted originally do not exist anymore.

So you can-t build the correct circuit needed for the light to work properly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Another brake warning light question Reply with quote

perello wrote:
… I found out that the original master cylinder brake sensors with 3 prongs that the Thing mounted originally do not exist anymore. So you can-t build the correct circuit needed for the light to work properly.

Don't exist anymore? They are ubiquitous. Search the part number: 113945515G
Legion0514
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake warning light question Reply with quote

Does anyone have any guidance or pictures showing how you ran the wiring for these lights? Thanks!!
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Another brake warning light question Reply with quote

When I put my Thing back together from the restoration I had the exact same problem. I found that I had the wires swapped on terminals K and 61 on the warning light (dang small terminal numbers...). Landed the wires properly and the light works perfectly.

The lettering on the warning light is really small and my eyes aren't what they used to be... Suggest you double check (with a magnifying glass if needed) the markings on the terminals on the brake light and make sure that the wiring is correct.

I hope that helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: