Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connecting rods have been modified
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

While disassembling a 1200 for a r build I noticed two of the connecting rods had this modification.
While these rods won't be reused because of this hack, I was curious to see if anyone has an idea why someone would do this.
I'm taking a guess by thinking it has something to do with oiling... perhaps they thought this could help in some way?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

I've never seen that one, but assume it's to allow more oil to get to the rod bearings.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

Yes...its a legitimate modification....but thats not saying its done well or right.

Its designed to allow oil spray from the crank galleys....usually to cool the bottom of the piston head and wrist pin area. Kind of a poor mans piston squirter.

But I cannot be the judge of it totally because its not "just" a Volkswagen modification. Its been used by many engine builders in many cars over the years and where the oiling grooves go on different cranks will partly be in relation to where the oil ports/troughs are on that particular crank and where you desire to have the oil spray directed.

There was a VW factory service bulletin about where and how to make the notches on 2.0L type 4 engines. I will see if I can find it and link to it. Ray

Some more info here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319027

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=171098&highlight=rod+oiling+notch

On the STF:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=95506&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I can't for the life of me find the technicalservice bulletin right now...but its somewhere on this site.
Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

Cool, kinda thought so. It also had the larger type 3 oil pump installed.
The rest of the engine actually looks pretty good... standard crank and case, very little case wear, nice square boss heads.

Just gonna replace the rods and bearings, new rings go through the heads and call it done ( with all the proper clearances attained).
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

Usually I've seen that done but with a single groove pointing towards the piston. Seems like the bottom two grooves wouldn't be effective, but maybe..

I wouldn't call it a hack necessarily, but maybe not done in the most effective manner. Did you happen to weigh them to see if they were balanced to the others without the mod?
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, it looks like whoever did these rods got a little happy with the grinder. I thought a little about cleaning up the work and rebalancing them, but I do have another set of untouched rods.

Sad thing is, the rods have really nice wrist pin bushings in them, the pins fit good and would not need replacing.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

when you just do 2 rods do the center rods and top and botom so they oil both sides of the piston 's...but I wouldent recomend it and doubt it does squat.especialy like that.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
when you just do 2 rods do the center rods and top and botom so they oil both sides of the piston 's...but I wouldent recomend it and doubt it does squat.especialy like that.

Yes.....I am,still not sold on the effectiveness of this modification......until someone pits a camera in a crankcase to show the spray aim and a real scientific test to show that it gets enough oil flow to cool the pistons without losing to much pressure at the journal.

Others have also noted that due to TDC and BDC squish it may only spray at certain intervals. And....dealing,with industrial spray nozzles a lot.....it occours to me that a simple V-notch is not a good orifice shape to make a reliable pattern or create optimum aim.

If you need piston sprayers.....a good thing where needed.....I say install real ones. Ray
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

I think it's fine. It's not going to hamper the operation.
Those 40 horse rods, very hard to get the caps aligned right, checking and re-conditioning thus a PITA.
If they ARE good, USE EM! Less work, more play
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

Shape and position are important for cooling piston bottoms, and those mods fail at both.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

Some old-school features, native to small engines from the era of splash-lubed bottom ends:

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

this is the most common notch arrangement, 90s and newer, honda, subaru, sozuki, nissan. I think they copied honda, but I don't know for sure, Honda researched it to death first.
ralf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

modok wrote:
this is the most common notch arrangement, 90s and newer, honda, subaru, sozuki, nissan. I think they copied honda, but I don't know for sure, Honda researched it to death first.

true 99.99% of the hondas i rebuilt and built/modded
have oe rods like this... actually the 0.01% that isnt like this
has a pin hole on the shoulder of the rods bfor the beam = with a bearing hole acting as a oiljet to spray to the piston and bore

porting my SP head for my brother's project
https://youtu.be/OS_mVjQuqgk
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for the info. I think those rods will just go to the scrap pile and I'll get the other set of rods prepped for this engine.
Looks like some one started off with a good idea but just went about it a little crude.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

now your learning!!!! OR make a tool out of one or more or well them all togeather to make a chair like berg did.probably the best usage for oe vw parts,furniture and lamps. Shocked Wink
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

on the subject of oil squirters , can someone tell me where the Porsche squirter is fitted on #3 cylinder on a Type 4 ?

I practiced drilling the main bearing saddles on an old cracked T1 case ,all good I thought . then went to do my Type 4 case and have found the case is very different (ended up drilling a small pilot hole through the case ) .
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting rods have been modified Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
now your learning!!!! OR make a tool out of one or more or well them all togeather to make a chair like berg did.probably the best usage for oe vw parts,furniture and lamps. Shocked Wink

Blasphemy!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: