Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bed bugs in my baywindow camper
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColeZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

So I am pretty positive I have bed bugs in my bus. Has anyone had this issue and if so how did you solve it.

From what I have scene is involved to rid them in an actual bedroom from a google search it seems like it would be impossible.

The only thing I can think of would be to set off foggers in my bus, but a lot of what I saw in my google search said that foggers don't do a very good job with bed bugs either. And yes I realize pesticides are bad for us, but I don't think they linger forever and after clean up and air out think it would be fine. But I don't want to make a mess of my buss that I won't be able to really clean either.

Please help
-Cole
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Stop picking up hippie hitchhikers.
Wink

I would have suggested a bug bomb (bus bomb?) but if those don't work well then it may take a thorough removal of upholstery, etc., and a bleach spray or similar. Hopefully someone has a better idea!
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Consider putting inside of a garage at a house getting fumigated for termites or beetles. Or check into Nuvan strips and seal
up the bus with them inside
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Get a space heater and put it in the van. Put a thermometer somewhere where you can see it. Turn on the heater - raise the temp inside the van to 140° and keep it there for 3 hrs. Problem solved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Fog it with cedar oil
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
Get a space heater and put it in the van. Put a thermometer somewhere where you can see it. Turn on the heater - raise the temp inside the van to 140° and keep it there for 3 hrs. Problem solved.

Our cars seem to get that hot by just parking them in the sun with all the windows closed. How much heat is needed to kill bedbugs?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Letterman7 wrote:

Our cars seem to get that hot by just parking them in the sun with all the windows closed. How much heat is needed to kill bedbugs?

Cook @ 118 F for 90 minutes your bedbugs and their eggs will be nicely done. So yeah you get a realy nice hot sunny day.
ColeZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
Letterman7 wrote:

Cook @ 118 F for 90 minutes your bedbugs and their eggs will be nicely done. So yeah you get a realy nice hot sunny day.

Temps haven't been getting very hot out here in Portland lately. I wonder if I could achieve the same thing by sticking a space heater or two in there??
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

According to most pest websites, 140° is a minimum for 3 hours. 118° will kill the adults, the eggs need higher temps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Heat does work and is the preferred method. Pro's use very large electric heaters on timers. These pests are found through-out the modern world, especially in cities and public transportation. So keep picking up Hippies, more than likely they were acquired at a convenience store
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Dang bring the vehicle to the Phoenix area this weekend as the temps will be 115 and 118 now with the vehicle parked in the hot sun the inside temp will be plenty after a 4 or 5 hours to kill humans dogs cats and I bet bed bugs.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Visit a paint and body shop with a heated downdraft paint booth. Here we can bake cars up to 140 degrees for whatever time is needed.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

^ That. Perfect.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

We have stayed in Air BnB's dozens of times. The only really bad experience was an otherwise charming cottage that had bedbugs. At first I coiuldn't explain the small red dots on my chest and then later saw something moving on my leg. Arrrgh!
Let the landlord know and she immediately refunded all of our money and showed us the receipts from having a professional pest service treat the cottage.
Our daughter was on the building maintenance team of a college co-op apartment building she lived in. Lots of bedbug outbreaks and heat was the first line of treatment.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Got some summer weather coming up in PDX this weekend!
Selsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Listen here buddy. Foggers etc will do nothing. Steam clean the fabrics first...

Then, get yourself a few huge bags of food grade Diatomaceous Earth. It is a white powder that resembles flour. It is made up of tiny fossilized shells. The shells are so fine that they lacerate the exoskeletons of insects, including bedbugs. Cover every inch of you van with the stuff. You can touch it, you can even ingest it without harm but it is dangerous to your lungs if you breath it in so use a mask. Let it sit for a few days or as long as you can... and then vacuum it all up. Repeat if necessary. Bed bugs gone!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Go to your local natural garden store and ask the folks there for a natural remedy. Just remember even the natural remedies can have dangers as the poster above said with Diatomaceous earth. There are many natural insecticides etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Third vote for Diatomaceous Earth. I found it in the garden center of either Lowes or Home Depot. We put it along the base of an exterior sliding glass door to keep ants from coming in to our kitchen. Dusting an ant directly will cause it to start writhing and die soon after. When the weather gets cooler it's easy to vacuum up. Works great and no nasty chemicals.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Heat is easiest, cleanest and cheapest method.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bed bugs in my baywindow camper Reply with quote

Damn, you nasty.
Cook the buggers.
And perhaps attempt getting some strange from someone that's not such a stranger.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: