Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Those dang bubble flares are all crooked!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmengr1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Those dang bubble flares are all crooked! Reply with quote

Why oh why are all my bubble flares crooked. practicing 20 or so times with making bubble flares I have one out of twenty that is straight. Using a brand new mini tube cutter on CNF3 X3/16" brake line. I noted that the the disk that goes in the tube to bubble the flare is slightly worn where the press seats into it. THe last turn or so the disk will tilt to one side hence the crooked bubble flare. I cant figure out if its the cut or the flaring tool. Any help from a seasoned bubble flare guy would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
~Jensol
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Those dang bubble flares are all crooked! Reply with quote

Watching this one as I will be flaring 30 feet of brake line in a couple weeks on another project. It has been 40 years since I did this...

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Those dang bubble flares are all crooked! Reply with quote

Are you oiling the end being flared?

Bad / bent / poorly made bubble flare tool?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Those dang bubble flares are all crooked! Reply with quote

If you're using a Harbor Freight flaring tool, they suck, pick up an SAE one on eBay for $50.

Dave gave you good advice....
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Those dang bubble flares are all crooked! Reply with quote

If you don't debur the line after a cut you will have the same result. The die won't be centered

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Those dang bubble flares are all crooked! Reply with quote

I have an OTC brand tool, I can make all offset/crooked flares too! Patience is the key and a good eyeball engineer. Clean straight cut, it's worth it to buy a quality tubing cutter from a plumbing supply shop. The cutter that came with my kit had a wonky wheel that would walk, to keep it from walking you'd have to tighten it to the point of out of round on the macro/micro level. This would result in a bad flare.

1) good clean accurate cut, de bur and macro chamfer
2) install into clamp, level to top of clamp plate, double check with a straight edge. Tighten clamps equally, hand snug plus...
3) put handle of line clamp tool into vice or some type of clamp(C clamp on edge of a table)Once level and tight, oil the line and flare tool die.
4) My flare tool was wonky too, it was difficult to center and get perpendicular to the line clamp. I'd slowly tighten and adjust my way until it was snug and true, proceed until flare tool bottoms out against line clamp at first glance... don't get unsure and reach for more leverage to make sure you're bottomed out this will make a bad bubble flare.

Good luck, I did my entire van on a weekend!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Those dang bubble flares are all crooked! Reply with quote

While you can often get away with cheap/poorly made wrenches and screwdrivers, a brake line flaring tool is one tool where it pays in spades to purchase the best quality piece you can afford. You will save yourself time, save yourself material by not having to scrap pieces of tubing that didn't come out right and most important of all, you will produce high-quality flares that will not split or leak. Not that you have to buy the most expensive tool out there, but I would plan on spending at least $60 on one. Also, make sure that you use the tool that works with your tubing size. If you are using metric sized tubing, use a metrically sized tool.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Those dang bubble flares are all crooked! Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help...but I find adding some grease to the tool/flare area prior to flaring makes things go a lot smoother.
rmengr1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Those dang bubble flares are all crooked! Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the tips. My tool is one I borrowed from Napa. I have concluded that the problem is the cut is slightly slanted causing the flare tool to distribute the force unevenly.I bought a new tube cutter and I was able to get one straight cut that i filed and chamfered. Flare was straight. Ill try the oil thing tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: