Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn Signals
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikes57BuginPA Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Turn Signals Reply with quote

Are the turn signals on a 57 supposed to be self cancelling?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals Reply with quote

My '59 turn signals to not self cancel, so I doubt that a '57 would - unless there is something that I'm missing...

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals Reply with quote

No...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals Reply with quote

Yes, I've own a '57 now and previously a '59. The 6 wire pre 1960 turn signal switch is self canceling.
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals Reply with quote

My 56 oval has a self cancelling switch.
Mikes57BuginPA Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals Reply with quote

When I first got this car I thought I recalled that the turn signals self cancelled. But now they don't seem to do so.
56Island
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals Reply with quote

They are self cancelling, check the spacing between the turn signal switch and the wheel. You may have to move the housing closer to the wheel. There is a measurement in the Bently manual that says the exact measurement from the housing to the end of the steering tube.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals Reply with quote

Interesting good info, I guess it depends on which switch you have. The 3 wire semaphore switches do not cancel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: