Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SenourLucas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

Hey guys, I am rebuilding my engine right now and while its out I want to finally make my engine bay prettier (and also fire-resistant). I took out the ugly black noise reducing crap a while back as it was old and dry-rotted. I do not care about noise proofing at all, just want to have a nice rust proof and flame resistant bay.

Are there any cool ideas out there? or should I just paint it with High temp black spray-paint?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

I made a stainless steel firewall for mine. I used the old tar boards for the sides, as they hide the turn signal wiring. I may leave them out in the future.
SenourLucas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

Thats a solid idea, prob will look very clean when completed
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

Why "flame resistant"?
There should be no reason for your engine to catch fire, and if it does, paint won't keep the craft from burning to the water line.
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

I would recommend carrying a fire extinguisher if you are worried about it.

I used some spray on sound deadening "Silent Running" on my engine bay. Really quieted things down back there.

I think they may make something similiar that will dissipate heat but not sure if its fire resistant or whatever.

I say just carry a fire extinguisher.

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

I carry a fire extinguisher..

But there are automatic systems you can buy and install that automatically put the fire out...

Believe I saw them somewhere on here on the fuel-filter not a good idea to be between the fuel pump and carb thread.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

I think people are way too worried about it personally.

same thing when everyone gets all butt hurt about "if" they are safe or not.

Just drive and deal with the issues as they come I say.

but there are people out there who say I dont know anything so take it or leave it.

But good luck on your quest.

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
SenourLucas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

Haha thanks guys, what I was trying to say about fire-resistant is some kind of treatment or material that would help temporary contain a fire if it happened. I do drive with an extinguisher
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

No paint or any coating will take the place of good preventative maintenance and regular inspections, if you lay awake at night worrying consider the Blazecut system as an added layer of protection.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KingWeazle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

I carry Stay Puff marsh mellows in case of fire. It's 1969 every time I drive the bug around : take off the seat belt, crank up the AM radio, and light up a doobie. Laughing
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

I like the look of a body color painted firewall myself. You can look up the paint code for your yellow paint there and some paint supply places can mix up a batch of aerosol spray paint in your particular paint code. There is an autobody supply place around here that will do that so you can buy just a can of spray paint but it happens to be the Volkswagen color if you give them the code. Just start calling body shops and auto body supply houses asking about it and someone will be able to steer you in the right direction if you decide that would look cool.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
SenourLucas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

KingWeazle wrote:
take off the seat belt, crank up the AM radio, and light up a doobie. Laughing

What I'd give to be in high school and care-free again. Lmao
SenourLucas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
You can look up the paint code for your yellow paint there and some paint supply places can mix up a batch of aerosol spray paint in your particular paint code.

While I completely agree that keeping the body color would be ideal, my paint is currently plasti dipped and the paint under is trash. Someone did a horrible job painting it a non factory color, so I don't have anything to really match to as the future of my beetles paint is currently undecided
11Bravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

The best fire proofing is Asbestos, bar none.
Click to view image
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

On comercial buildings they some kind of spray on fire proofing for columns and girders. Stop by a job site throw on a hard hat and safety glasses and ask around. Wink Wink
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

That black stuff was put there by the engineers. There's a reason for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
That black stuff was put there by the engineers. There's a reason for it.

Sure, the reason is that it was dirt cheap and it was 1971, so there weren't a whole lot of other options! Wink

My solution was carbon fiber (the tube-looking things are for the cabin heat re-circulation system).

If you're worried about fire-proofing, I'd have to say carbon fiber is probably one of the WORST materials to use (what with carbon being one of the most flammable elements on Earth). It sure looks nice, though:

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

Why do you need to recirculate it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Why do you need to recirculate it?
It gets warmer that way. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Bay Painting/Fire-proofing Ideas Reply with quote

KingWeazle wrote:
I carry Stay Puff marsh mellows in case of fire. It's 1969 every time I drive the bug around : take off the seat belt, crank up the AM radio, and light up a doobie. Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjg39XRkjVc&list=PLRHsAfVitIWviZITdwvbHqHwmVR_vDmpD&index=4
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: