Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometer reads fast
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Speedometer reads fast Reply with quote

We are the third owners of our 1966 SO44. The transmission and RGB's is original to the bus.

We are currently running 185R14 6PR LT tires on it which I believe are the proper size.

The speedometer reads way fast when compared to the speed showing on any of the half dozen speedometer apps I have tried, and when compared to the speed of a modern car driving along side.

It is not the same amount off, but the faster I go the more it is off. By off I mean like 15 or 20 MPH at higher speeds.

This being an SO44 was of course a German delivered model but the first owner (an american serviceman) told us he ordered it with US specifications and sure enough, the birth certificate and M-codes confirm this.

At first I was thinking that it has something with the MPH/KPH, but the speedo says MPH and only goes to 80.

So, what could be so off in the speedometer and is there anything I can do short of having it professionally restored?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reads fast Reply with quote

what's the date code / ratio stamped on the speedo housing? could be a speedo for a bus with 15" wheels.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reads fast Reply with quote

I think 185's are a little smaller than stock, which might amount for being a few mph off.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reads fast Reply with quote

I have the 195 version and my speedometer is right on the money. (1966 SO 42) According to this site I linked there should only be a 1.5 mph difference at 60mph between the two sizes. A P.O. may have had the needle off your speedometer and reinstalled incorrectly.

http://www.busdepot.com/ra18195
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reads fast Reply with quote

I have a 1966 with original equipment and reasonably sized tires and the speedometer always read fast.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I eventually replaced the speedometer with a rebuilt one and it gives the correct speed now, according to GPS calibration. Some speedometers are not going to be accurate after 50 years.
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reads fast Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/50_67_bus_gear_ratios.php

Stock tire height was approx 26.8" - 27.0", regardless of year. I found that with 205/75R15 tires (27.1") my speedometer was right on with the mobile speed app.

Your tires may only have a 25.6" diameter (Spec for Hankook RA18). This would represent a 5% high reading over 26.8" or 6% over 27.1".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reads fast Reply with quote

agreed. 185/14s were the stock replacement radials in germany, but they are definitely smaller than the 7/14s that would have been stock.

The tire you wanted back then was the 185/15 michelin for a 15 inch wheel and 195/14 for the 14 inch wheels. Or the correct bias plies of course if you don't drive much.

In germany speedometers are typically a little fast from the factory. 5 or 6 miles fast at the top-end would be normal i think. especially with the smaller diameter radials.

15-20 miles off is NOT normal. might be time to rebuild

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer reads fast Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
what's the date code / ratio stamped on the speedo housing? could be a speedo for a bus with 15" wheels.

Jon, once again you guessed right. I finally pulled the speedo out and sure enough it was dated 4.62, so a 15" wheel speedo.

Now to find a 1966 one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: