Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubKev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

So just picked up this ol girl. First time vw owner and got a boat load Of questions. Little by little......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JD1964
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

So nice! Scads of information here and everyone is good about sharing information. Good luck, I wish my car had those solid floor pans!

Last edited by JD1964 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into Very Happy
A nightmare. But it can still be a nice car. The heater channels are from a 70+ car.
Get the water trapped in the floor pans dried up before you have more rust issues.
The front spare tire well needs to be replaced and that will be quite a task. But doable just the same.
Unless you have deep pockets, plan on doing all the work yourself over the next couple of years.

Good Luck. And welcome to the samba.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

Congratulations. '58 and '59 are my favorite years. I'm in Miami as well so feel free to PM me if you need anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

Looks like an original door panel on the passenger side. Whatever you do, don't throw it away! Someone will pay for it if you decide to replace. Same with any other matching seat covers or whatever might still be with the car.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubKev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, finding out i have incorrect heater channels is a bit of a bummer. I mean im not trying to rebuild a period correct car or anything. But asaide from that what kinda issues would that bring parts wise? Will new carpet not fit properly ?
VeeDubKev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

Anyone know where i can get a replacement section or part for the driver side rear bumper bracket ?

panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

Best bet for the bumper mount is to pull a donor off of a wreck. You can get new from Wolfsburg, but the metal is much thinner. You'll probably find that the metal behind the bracket is rusted trough.

The carpet will probably fit, except that the heater vents up front wont line up properly.
VeeDubKev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

All ye mighty in the Samba looking for help. Trying to get a title for this thing but my vin number doesn't seem to show up. Can some please help my id my bug ? ( yes got it with not title :/ )

Last edited by VeeDubKev on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Looks like the body and pan numbers match, it was built January 1958. 1805*** is your VIN number. 173612 is just a reference stamp for your body number only needed for VW's records. It doesn't mean anything else for you. All the other stuff on the stamped plate is weight information etc.

You should remove these pics asap. Never post your VIN number on the internet. Don't let anyone have personal info these days unless you want to get scammed or ripped off.

Your car does not have a modern 17 digit VIN, those weren't used until many years after your car was built. You might get a funny look at the DMV but it is your number 100%

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
VeeDubKev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Looks like the body and pan numbers match, it was built January 1958. 1805*** is your VIN number. 173612 is just a reference stamp for your body number only needed for VW's records. It doesn't mean anything else for you. All the other stuff on the stamped plate is weight information etc.

You should remove these pics asap. Never post your VIN number on the internet. Don't let anyone have personal info these days unless you want to get scammed or ripped off.

Your car does not have a modern 17 digit VIN, those weren't used until many years after your car was built. You might get a funny look at the DMV but it is your number 100%

Thank you so very much man. I really appreciate the information
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

Finding the special '58 stuff missing like rear fenders is going to be a long term search, IMO.
But addressing the core of the restoration could be done without them. Given decent floors, I would address the heater channels, front hinge pillar lowers, and hinge pins. Overall problem is to maintain door gaps.

Personally I'm not impressed with the heater channels on it, and I would pay the shot for Funky Green oval channels. But I would do the A pillar bottoms first on the old channels, before the body-off.

Both the spare tire area and the rear bumper bracket piece are standard rust repair parts. With a little digging, maybe in Europe (Paruzzi) you might be able to find panels closer to 19 ga., but it's got to be done.

'58s are full of oval spec parts that they were using up. There's lots of info in the '58-'59 sticky on the Samba. Your fender bolts (8m) are 14-headed rather than 13, if original. Save them. Use plenty of time and patience coaxing old bolts out.

One nut out of any group of two, or four, will be impossible to get at, or to swing, without an offset (obstruction, block) wrench, and you'll need a set, even some with box/open end. This applies to exhaust system, back nut on fuel pump or carb, intake manifold front bolt, etc.

Read up on fender dating to see how original your front fenders are, and what you need to be looking for to get the backs. Not sure if that front bumper is OG. Try to find OG brake drums with meat left on them.

Spot weld size is 6mm, try to get a metric cutter system (Wurth, etc.), and plenty of tips. A total-recovery sandblaster will be handy.

The back wheels are modern. Has the transaxle been changed? What rear drums are on it?

A few thoughts, I guess. Good luck with project.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

When I went to the DMV to title my 1960 they couldn't find the Vin # in the records either, until she went into the back room and brought out a small soft cover DMV book that looked very old and found my # in it. Went smooth after that..
Keeponbuggin64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

i bet you were relieved when she found it😂
VeeDubKev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by VeeDubKev on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

There isn't a 100% accurate way of verifying the engine size without pulling things apart and measuring them, sorry. It's difficult to tell from the pics posted, but it appears to me that engine has a 40hp intake which in turn will not bolt onto 1300-1600 heads. Given the smaller combustion chambers on 40 horse heads, unless that engine is now sporting a rather high compression ratio or some decently thick spacers, I'd say it's probably safe to say it's a 1200 or at most a 1400 if big bore jugs have been installed. Pics of where the intake bolts to the head would be very useful to help identify it though.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

I thought all these engine should have a letter begining for the id stamped on the case under generator stand. not in this case evidently the photogrpah of the carb shows one of them electric solinoid valves, which I think makes the carb 66 or later, the carb appears to have two ports for a vacuum operated air cleaner, I believe that goes to 67 or 68 and later cars, I believe a 68 had 1600 cc motors, right? 66 had 1300cc, 67 1500cc and 68 1600 cc as I kind of recall.

anyway thats the clues I have. what is the carb part number, what about the distributor number, that would be another clue.

main thing with a used motr is how does it run? oil pressure, compression test are good to know the results of.

good luck in your quest, keep a buggin along be it 1200 or 1600 or more!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

As mentioned in the other thread that is a 1200 case based on the number above.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
jvm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

VeeDubKev wrote:
Anyone know where i can get a replacement section or part for the driver side rear bumper bracket ?

I know this is an old post and you may have it sorted now. There's some excellent repro panels available, from small companies knocking out great quality stuff.

Try Steve Hook in the UK for the bumper hangers, and if the metal behind is rotten, he has that covered too Cool

http://www.hookyspanelshop.com/
VeeDubKev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Just got a 58'..... what have I gotten myself into :D Reply with quote

Little update on my slow build lol. Came up on a 1600 DP for 100 bucks (cant beat that right) but I got rid of the doner car before I pulled the starter. SOoOoOoOo I have a question. What kinda of transmission does my 58’ supposedly have ? How do I find a correct starter ? Luckily my landlord owns a machine shop so I plan on breaking this 1600 down and give it a fresh re-build before I put it back in. I am aware that I have to do some shaving to the trans housing for the flywheel.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: