Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Austin Veedub permanently closing salvage yard.
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Austin Veedub permanently closing salvage yard. Reply with quote

Hello fellow VW tribesmen. It is my Solom duty to inform you that after almost 40 years of providing a source of used original parts for VW enthusiasts all over Texas, sometimes the country and even world , that Austin Veedub is permanently closing their salvage yard. The city tax assessor has decided that the ground in the yard is all impermeable coverage when only 20% is and is now charging massive drainage fees and taxes on supposed "tainted run off water" when Veedub has always been strictly self regulating on the draining of all vehicle fluids and the removal of all batteries BEFORE the vehicles are ever placed in the yard.

If there is any thing you need or are looking for for your air or water cooled VW now would be the time to check in with them.

http://www.austinveedub.com

OR call

512-386-5623 or 512-385-2462

We are currently offering a rebuild service for Beetle rack and pinion steering units. PM for details.

Service with a Yahhrrr.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin Veedub permanently closing salvage yard. Reply with quote

Damn.....in the central southwest......there were two places for the most parts. Wilsons is Purcell Oklahoma....and Austin VW.

Wilsons went down years ago.....Brian Wilson is still selling off tidbits from somewhere. Austin VW saved my ass a few times. Its been years since ai have been there. I will check and see what they have. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin Veedub permanently closing salvage yard. Reply with quote

Damn, that sucks. I worked there back in '96-'97. Loved it.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin Veedub permanently closing salvage yard. Reply with quote

Ah, too bad.... I got to rummage all over that place when I went to Austin last year. It was cool to go through an old VW yard, don't get to see that kinda stuff up here in Michigan.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin Veedub permanently closing salvage yard. Reply with quote

Sad, sad. I've been through there a few times. Great place. It was just fun to walk the yard, even if you didn't need parts.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin Veedub permanently closing salvage yard. Reply with quote

Austin is a tiny island of that type of personality in Texas. To their credit, they do have aquifers running below the city so they have to pay special attention not to pollute what they drink.

I don't see anything on their site detailing the closure. Are they scrapping the cars? Do you have any more details?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin Veedub permanently closing salvage yard. Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Austin is a tiny island of that type of personality in Texas. To their credit, they do have aquifers running below the city so they have to pay special attention not to pollute what they drink.

I don't see anything on their site detailing the closure. Are they scrapping the cars? Do you have any more details?

Thats not the issue with Austin VW. Many salvage yards have had this issue. They have largely a cleared, gravelled or dirt lot. They are in a flood plain and close to a river and have no retentioj ponds for surface run off.

If you spend any time around Austin.....you will notice that being on the edge of hill country....the whole city has a rock layer only feet or inches below the surface. The slightest rain causes flash flooding. Business and housing areas from Georgetown, round rock through Austin and beyond all have retention ponds on their property edge to catch run off.

Some is just flash flood control. In AVWs case....just like many other salvage yards in central and North Texas......the TECQ levies a water control tax for those without retention ponds....and large acerage like a salvage yard is hard to have retention ponds for. The taxes can get high.

The added possibility of industrial run off.....is just icing on the cake. Ray
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin Veedub permanently closing salvage yard. Reply with quote

I went to University there and live there quite a number of years. I never saw much in the way of retention ponds though since everything drains through the limestone and into the creek beds which feeds the main river running through town.

In Houston, every new development is required to have a retention pond. It used to not be that way but there is so much building and flooding here that it has become a big issue. Concrete doesn't soak up all the rain like good old fashion dirt.

I suspect Austin is giving them the shaft due to chemical leakage. They are very serious about their aquafers.

raygreenwood wrote:
kawfee wrote:

Thats not the issue with Austin VW. Many salvage yards have had this issue. They have largely a cleared, gravelled or dirt lot. They are in a flood plain and close to a river and have no retentioj ponds for surface run off.

If you spend any time around Austin.....you will notice that being on the edge of hill country....the whole city has a rock layer only feet or inches below the surface. The slightest rain causes flash flooding. Business and housing areas from Georgetown, round rock through Austin and beyond all have retention ponds on their property edge to catch run off.

Some is just flash flood control. In AVWs case....just like many other salvage yards in central and North Texas......the TECQ levies a water control tax for those without retention ponds....and large acerage like a salvage yard is hard to have retention ponds for. The taxes can get high.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin Veedub permanently closing salvage yard. Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
I went to University there and live there quite a number of years. I never saw much in the way of retention ponds though since everything drains through the limestone and into the creek beds which feeds the main river running through town.

In Houston, every new development is required to have a retention pond. It used to not be that way but there is so much building and flooding here that it has become a big issue. Concrete doesn't soak up all the rain like good old fashion dirt.

I suspect Austin is giving them the shaft due to chemical leakage. They are very serious about their aquafers.

raygreenwood wrote:
kawfee wrote:

What?..... Laughing ......EVERY SINGLE business from Round Rock through Austin on the 35 corridor has retention ponds.

You just have no idea what they look like because they are so common.

You pull into a parking lot....and attached to the bar ditch next to the frontage road are depressions.....stylishly lined with rock and sometimes chicken wire holding them together.

Sometimes out back, sometimes next door....sometimes out front.

There are literally THOUSANDS of them. They are required by law ....if you have a parking lot or driveway attached to your business......you have to catch and control the run off from it during rains to prevent local flash flooding.

I lived and worked in Austin and Georgetown too. Ray
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin Veedub permanently closing salvage yard. Reply with quote

My memory is over 10 years old. I just don't remember ever seeing them. I guess I was always looking at the half naked women on campus.

raygreenwood wrote:
kawfee wrote:

raygreenwood wrote:
kawfee wrote:

What?..... Laughing ......EVERY SINGLE business from Round Rock through Austin on the 35 corridor has retention ponds.

You just have no idea what they look like because they are so common.

You pull into a parking lot....and attached to the bar ditch next to the frontage road are depressions.....stylishly lined with rock and sometimes chicken wire holding them together.

Sometimes out back, sometimes next door....sometimes out front.

There are literally THOUSANDS of them. They are required by law ....if you have a parking lot or driveway attached to your business......you have to catch and control the run off from it during rains to prevent local flash flooding.

I lived and worked in Austin and Georgetown too. Ray
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Austin Veedub permanently closing salvage yard. Reply with quote

The Pirate wrote:
Hello fellow VW tribesmen. It is my Solom duty to inform you that after almost 40 years of providing a source of used original parts for VW enthusiasts all over Texas, sometimes the country and even world , that Austin Veedub is permanently closing their salvage yard. The city tax assessor has decided that the ground in the yard is all impermeable coverage when only 20% is and is now charging massive drainage fees and taxes on supposed "tainted run off water" when Veedub has always been strictly self regulating on the draining of all vehicle fluids and the removal of all batteries BEFORE the vehicles are ever placed in the yard.

If there is any thing you need or are looking for for your air or water cooled VW now would be the time to check in with them.

http://www.austinveedub.com

OR call

512-386-5623 or 512-385-2462

They are simply ending their career in Salvage , many times business owners simply end their businesses rather than capitalize for the next round.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: